1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new vehicle

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Another option that I've been kicking around is keeping the wife's Grand Cherokee. It's an 05, loaded at the time but it is showing wear. It has 120k on the clock, has been reliable but the wife has been poor with keeping up with maintenance. Nickle and dime shit is starting to break but it is paid for and might be fun to tweak (although for the life of me I can't find aftermarket shit for the GC). Not sure it is worth it to keep.

2. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

I know it's less hassle,but is the pricing that much better than someone who has done their research and willing to negotiate? I do understand some really hate the negotiation part.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I feel like I'm a pretty damn good negotiator, and I've never been able to get prices as low as A plan. You could beat X plan for sure tho.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  4. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

From my research the price isn't much different from a 1500 dodge eco diesel.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

That would be me.

My time is more valuable than the games dealership mouth breathers play with it.

BigBird likes this.
  6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Has anyone chimed in about a outback? The newer ones, like 09 and up I think, tow almost 3k pounds I think. I would love one over a full size truck.

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Buick Roadmaster with the LT1 Chevy in it. Engine will go forever, parts are cheap. And with a few bolt ons they can look cool and haul easily.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

If the stars align a good negotiation will be close. It'll take a lot of work, probably over several days, and the dealership will need to be on the verge of some sort of volume bonus or otherwise be willing to lose money on the vehicle.

The trick is in the trade. Don't tell them you get A-plan until after you've negotiated the trade. If you tell them before, you're only going to get wholesale for it.

9. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

They don't. I had a dealer trying to get me in a fully loaded Canyon, with the diesel motor, for $38k. Sticker was $50k but with the rebates and incentives, you can get a great deal on one.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That is still a TON of money for the latest version of the S10. If the last version is any indicator, depreciation will hit it so hard that in a year or two you should be able to get into one for about $7 and a half eaten ham sandwich :D

That they're willing to deal so much on it is clue #1. Assume you bought one when it just came out and now you want to trade/sell it. Say you paid $47k for it because there were no incentives. Now, the same new truck is $38k but yours is used with 10k miles. You'd be lucky to get $28k for it - a hit of $19,000 in one year.

Anyway, enough Canyon bashing. The OP isn't wanting a payment and has a budget of $25k.

11. bleacht

Cool? No one, other than Jon, said otherwise or that the OP should get one. Take your meds today?:crackup:

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Might have missed one or two handfulls:D
    [​IMG]

13. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I did not say to get one I said look at one, don't go twisting my words ... If he has not taken his meds I don't wanna get blamed for anything.

bleacht likes this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Chrysler Town and Country

15. bleacht

:crackup:you love that thing. Any car-related thread and you can be counted on to through in a vote for a minivan.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Soul sucking walmart parking lot cruiser!

17. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the car or big bird?

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I need a new vehicle too!

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Hey I'm trying to get some more members to my squadron :D

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]
    :D