1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new vehicle

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Aug 14, 2016.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What are you towing? How about a previous gen 4Runner?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

As opposed to?

3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

small open trailer, 1500lb capacity.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

4Runner FTW. Pulls the trailer, carries the bikes and toys, simple, fun, and freaking indestructible.

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

what years?

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

5th gen is 2009 to present, with a facelift for 2014. 4th gen was 2002-2009 and had a V8 option. Nothing wrong with either but I'd go for the newest 5th gen in your price range for more up to date safety equipment and less weathering.

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The downside is that the 4Runner is a vehicle for the moms nobody would f...

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

My wife drives one...

9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I see, you're just playing it safe :D

10. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Change your screen name to Nobody before this gets awkward....:eek:

masshole likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Do they ride any better in the 5th? Drove and rode like a frame on truck. Nice for offroad and all that shit but not so kick ass as a highway cruiser.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And why are you on the beeb instead of throwing her the high hard one? ;)

13. I daily drive and shop use (towing bikes, parts pick up, etc) my 96 f150 single cab long bed 4x4 with the 302 in it. It cost me $3000 when it had 128k on the odometer. It has needed $1k in brakes/wheel bearings and it killed the original $60 ignition module. I drive it a minimum of 90 miles a day (this is getting cut in half next week) and I'm at 171k on it a year later. I drive 3 hours north fairly regularly to Willow Springs and wouldn't hesitate to take it up to Washington without thinking twice. Full coverage for it is pennies on the dollar. I love my damn truck and the only way I'm getting another one is it I get the same thing in 4 door. It's loud, it's creeky and the ride is rough but I won't get rid of it.

I'm not into a $500 payment + insurance a month on something new. That money is better spent else where. Hell my wife's 2010 Kia Forte killed a crank position sensor yesterday and I wanted to throw the baby out with the bath water. $75 and a lot of cursing I'm strongly considering her proposal of wanting a 60's bug to drive around. Realistically she will end up with a van especially with her talk of having another kid after she graduates next year.

Also I want a bronco really bad. Mid 90's. OJ white.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You can have that towing crap. I can put two bikes and all the gear I need for a weekend into my 05 Titan. Everybody loves to rag on the Titan because they didn't sell a billion of them but it's been the perfect truck for me. And since they were never popular you can get a used one for cheap. I've had two...first one totaled at 100K and my current one is at 125,000. No problems.

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

My dad has me looking for a beater truck to keep at the farm. Something 4wd and enclosed like an older full size Bronco or K5 Blazer. Just something to haul around smaller equipment and general work duty. Everything I've found is either a huge piece of crap or "restored" with an asking price of 10k. He wants to spend less thank 5k. There just aren't many cheap older trucks around. I'm sure we'll end up with a mid 90s 3/4 ton pickup with a topper. He even mentioned buying my 01 F150 but I don't think it's "farm truck" status just yet. Plus, I don't want to negotiate with my dad. He's a master. :D

16. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

GMC Canyon diesel

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Isn't the diesel only available in the upmarket trim levels? It's $45-50k for a mini-truck!

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  18. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

What's the deal with the FJ cruiser? I like the looks but other than not selling well don't know much about them.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My brother had an FJ...cool vehicle but it quite possibly had the worst visibility of any car I've ever been in.

Eskimo likes this.
  20. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

D
    Damn did not know they cost that much