1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

huh? stoner wanted to ride in place of pedro?

Discussion in 'General' started by crazymofo, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Yes.

Let me also rephrase.

The rider with the outright mode raw speed.

Obviously Rossi titles will trump overalls but nobody could touch stoner when he was "on"

(Insert tired, old, lame, not funny, SteelCity standardized milk joke)

2. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

How can you forget him after winning that race at Q-Tar?? :up:

3. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Nobody could touch Stoner when he was "on"?

You must be too young to remember a prime Mick Doohan.

:rolleyes:

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I remember Doohan racing a bike that was worlds better than the conpetition(IMO)

Casey raced and won on a bike that nobody else really could.

He did it with regularity.

Hell, he was blistering fast on his first honda that was a pos on shit tires...

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Doohan was at another level, mentally.

I may be forgetting details or sequence. IIRC, Doohan who started his domination with the Big-Bang Motor. And, when the motor was widely available, he return to the older motor (Screamer)?

He said, follow me. No one could. :D

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Doohans untouchableness came after the injury to Rainey and the retirement of Schwantz. Until that happened he was just one of 3 blazing fast riders.

7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Barry Sheene lives!!!!

8. racesbikes

Rainey's last championship and Schwantz's title came because of injuries to Doohan.

9. racesbikes

Correct.

And......he could drink milk.

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Injuries that Doohan sustained while riding at a level required to beat Schwantz and Rainey. IMO, Doohan was as good as those guys but definitely not better.

But congrats! You are the first person I have ever heard claim that Doohan was better than Rainey and Schwantz. Donnington 1993 does not help your argument much either...:D

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Welcome to dung beetle level of "cleverness".:up:

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn!

13. racesbikes

In 1992 when Doohan got hurt he led the championship by 65 points.

That makes the argument.

If you're saying Rainey may have won 5-6 titles without his injury it could be said Doohan would have won 7 titles without his.

Either way....in their prime they're both better than Stoner.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I personally believe that Schwantz was the best rider of any of them but thats just me. I also think that after watching Stoner ride that he belongs in that group along with Rossi, Marquez and a few others.

If I had to pick who I thought was the outright fastest on their best day it would come down to a 3 way fight between Stoner, Marquez and Schwantz. All 3 have that amazing ability to make other fast racers stare and wonder how they pulled off what they did.

15. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I'm thinking it is more a matter of reality - in general if there were a rider who was capable of beating the factory riders, he would be a factory rider. Stoner is the exception, not the rule. The factory doesn't care which rider wins, just that they win.

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am going to go out on a limb here but I think that HRC would rather secure the manufacturer's championship than have one of their riders as world champion.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Doesn't matter what HRC wants when Repsol pays the bills. Repsol gets what Repsol wants.

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I can't argue with that. :D

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and then there's Honda. HRC does whatever Honda tells them to do.

20. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Thanks for the reminders. I should have interchanged HRC and Honda.