1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobbies (non mc related ones), let's hear them???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Roller skating.

2. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

What are you doing for any climate control while it's hanging? I've been half assed thinking of going down the charcuterie road now that I've got a local Mulefoot supplier who is reasonable.

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Depends on the product -- both of those dry out at 55-60F and around 70% humidity. We use small heaters and timer controlled humidifiers when necessary. The salumis are in a proofing cabinet and the copas (now after a 18 day cure and a 1 day drying of the casing at 75F) are hung in my garage which is running 52F /75% now.

I also have a walk-in cooler I use for brewing and proscuitti. I'd show you the hams in the cure box, but don't want to get you too down.

I misspelled Mangalitsa in my post, but didn't catch it in time. Amazing meat and any enthusiast should seek it out but be prepared for some swine shock on the pocketbook.

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be too expensive, I put a Savage heavy barrel .223 together for my nephew to shoot long range with me. 11.1 mils to 1K on the .223 shooting 77 SMK's. With a Vortex PST I've got about $1600 in it and it is in a Mcree chassis. You can use a fixed 10x or 12X scope too. My best scoring match was shot at 12X from 200-1K due to the mirage from the heat.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Why would anyone make fun of you for that when you give us so many other things with which to do so? :D

I'm going the other way. I have always been good at working with wood. Now I am learning metal. I spent most of the day on a lathe today.

Ghost of Casby and XFBO like this.
  6. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I like lots of stuff. I have a little bit of a problem that I get interested in almost everything I run across.

Right now I've been doing a bunch of real estate investing. I also like any outdoors stuff (hunting and fishing). I've become a little obsessed with Alaska (I'm going up to work at the Iditarod in a couple of months). I'm trying to stay away from rc fpv quad racing. I know I would like it but I don't need another thing right now. I own a fighting gym and spend a bunch of time there pretending like I'm going to enter an mma fight. I've been trying to get better at wake boarding but it usually looks like this...

[​IMG]

Lawn Dart likes this.
  7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I hear you on the sticker shock. You've got some good meat there and it sounds like a good set up. Im jealous.

Up to now I've just been curing and smoking pork bellys for bacon. This Mulefoot will be my first crack at headcheese, jowl bacon and wet curing my own hams.

Eventually I'd like to move towards dry curing and charcuterie production. With our Wisconsin weather and a 110 year old house with stone basement I may just need to make a tempered curing room. I think that there are just too many variables to go at it without one.

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Cooking.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Check this link out. I have been thinking of giving it a try but I'm pretty sure between the motorcycles, smoker, and brewing my wife is going to eventually have had enough!
    http://benstarr.com/blog/how-to-convert-a-refrigerator-for-curing-meat-or-aging-cheese/

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

this temperature controller might work better for that setup
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller
    It has male and female L5-15 plugs installed with an extension for the temperature probe. You can wire the compressor direct to it to bypass all the internal fridge controls.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Funk That! get this one! Much cheaper and does heating and cooling too. I switched to one for my fermenting chamber and it has worked awesome for a couple of brews so far. Only $39.00!!
    http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-3...kmr2&keywords=ladybird+temperature+controller

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm into road cycling (by myself, with buddies, sportives and group rides) and since 4 months now, taking care of fat mini me. :D And of course, the resulting baby photography thing.

Is that even possible ?

13. Besides reading the occasional book, hiking when I have time, maybe playing a video game once a week or hanging out with my baby girl/family I don't have much in terms of an actual hobby. I work on, build, design, fix and ride motorbikes pretty much everyday. Since I blew my ankle out last year my only hobby of riding bmx is done.

I'm going to try to learn cooking and baking this year. Ive never put the effort in to learn and figured it's about time. I actually baked for the first time on Xmas eve. Cinnamon rolls came out pretty well! Looking at some decent knives and some other kitchen stuff. I like home renovation quite a bit but we haven't bought a house yet so that'll end up being a thing in a couple years.

I admire you guys who can focus on more than one thing at a time. I have a super hard time trying to switch my brain process to something else.

XFBO likes this.
  14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I've been SCUBA certified since 10 years or so before I started racing. Now that I'm not racing so much, I've got more time and disposable income to do so...

Since I love the water, and there's far fewer consequences for landing on my head, I'm dying to get something like this:

http://hd4desktop.net/images/b/1920x1080_malibu_wake_setter-1242896.jpg

Didn't post actual pic. It's too big.

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

16. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Uhhh yeaa, I'm not sure I'd let go of THAT quality...ever! In fact, I wish I had yours, at times, I'm currently working on 4 different projects....it drives my friend of all people nuts that I keep bouncing around. My wife has become real cool about it, took me 2 decades to break her....lol...but yea I have a mild problem starting new projects when I haven't finished an old one yet. :confused:

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Funny, I don't know why but I've NEVER had any interest in learning to cook .... that is until I developed a strong desire to make my own pizza....since then, I've found a really awesome dough recipe that I actually love making and eating! Pretty cool hearing family and friends enjoying it too......been making a pretty mean ham&cheese calzone too with that same dough recipe. So I think there's some hope for me, hoping this desire spreads to other types of meals. :D

19. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

RC racing, BMX racing, and Tournament Paintball, have been filling the large gaps between my racing stints. All are fun and give me a lil adrenalin boost ... But they're just distraction. There is nothing like motorcycle racing!!

20. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Paintball! A dying pursuit unfortunately. I played torny ball since the early 80s. National champs in 84 (National Survival Game) and again in 96(NPPL). Played as an NPPL pro for a few yrs in the late 90s. Retired from it in 98. A very expensive sport at the higher torny level of play if one is not sponsored. We were a Smart Parts factory team for a few yrs until we had to dump them for political reasons.

After retiring from another job, I then worked in the industry and played recball(we had 2 field locations around Atlanta) weekly thru first half of the 2000s, inbetween racing mtbs in XC and 12hr endurance(solo class mostly). No place to really play up here in the NC mtns.