1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobbies (non mc related ones), let's hear them???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Dec 30, 2015.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Not quite but I'll have to check in to this:D

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Right click, save and print..........Can you say chaaa chiiinggg! :D

That's the photo I'll show my better half when she starts bitching about the tools I've been acquiring. Haha!

Assuming that is NOT part of a business, I gotta ask....what have you made or enjoy making/tinkering/etc....? Those are always popping up in my random CL 'lathe' searches.......very cool, I've even been considering one of those 'mini milling lathes' for those lil tidbits we tend to crave/want on our motosickles. :)

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Well, since I've stopped skeet shooting and chasing grouse, I've picked up winter go karting with both weekly leagues, and monthly enduros. We just did a 2 hour enduro last night. This fall and winter, I have and will be hanging at the farm fencing and cleaning up getting ready for some cows in the spring. Oh, and chasing a 2 and 4 year old around eats up some clock too...

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I've had a small shop for several years but generally for hobby use. I pick up some work from neighbors from time to time and some from work when they need a quick turnaround prototype. The bridgeports were purchased off Craiglist. They were both in really rough shape so I completely tore them down and rebuilt them plus added the VFD's so I can run the 3 phase motors off my single phase power. I also have a Jet 1340 lathe. I installed digital readouts/scales on everything so I can get some degree of precision. It's nice to be working on a bike or car and be able to fab up parts just a few feet away.
    Here's a pic of the T-ram Bridgeport during the rebuild last year.

Attached Files:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cooking. Trivia at the bar if I'm in town. Football at the bar if I'm in town. The bar if I'm in town. :D

6. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Way too many, long range shooting, kayaking both whitewater and flatwater, scuba diving, that includes photography, search & rescue, and extended range diving and getting into RC aircraft recently too.

7. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Goddamnit, that was mine!

It's free, relieves stress and aside from having to shave my palms all the time, it's good for you.

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I hear ya, way too many!

Before I discovered the 'track' back in '01, my 900RR was actually collecting dust mostly due to my addiction to flying R/C sailplanes......
    I know it sounds nuts to be hooked to such a thing but damn if it wasn't so. The thing that makes flying those crafts so intriguing is the fact that it's different every time you go out, unlike power planes, 'lift' isn't always in the same places or strength. Weather affects it completely so learning to 'read' triggers and indicators are part of the fun/learning curve, otherwise, you'll be launching/flying for only about a minutes worth of flight each time. On a nice day, I was easily getting one hour flights at will....again, no propellers. :)

Then I moved onto photography, mostly trackside to the point I spent way too much money for someone in it just as a hobby...or at least I thought so. Hoping to get more use out of it at some point, maybe landscape type photography.

Also into working on my home, over the 20 yrs we've been here, I pretty much renovated it all.....in hindsight, I should have gutted it entirely from the start but I didn't sooo some rooms still have the original plaster walls. Oh well, live and learn.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm getting interested again in building a new audio set up that rocks hard in 5.1 but will melt your face off in stereo.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I like to snowshoe. Usually go up to our camp in the Adirondacks and head out from there. Might not be doing much this year the way the winter's looking.

11. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Honey do list, Disc golf,and Mountain biking ; pretty much in that order too.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

XFBO and Mechdziner714 like this.
  13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Holey schnikeys thats BADASS

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They've been building some crazy stuff around those modern jet engines.

When I was a teenager, I had a (grown-up) friend doing RC planes at the world championship level. He had an unfinished F-16 powered by a regular piston engine. I thought that thing was bad ass. Never got to see it fly before I moved away for college.

15. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Make some furniture, do some metal work, a model or two, and too much time on the interweb entertaining myself....just finished my 120 gallon smoker before the snow flew, so don't even get to play with it yet...
    That, and owning a 75 year-old house means something always needs tending to. IMG_3855.JPG IMG_3853.JPG IMG_3857.JPG

XFBO likes this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Nice smoker. I've been thinking of building something similar, but vertically oriented so you can hang stuff.

Speaking of hanging, me and a couple friends went in on a local Mangalista pig, and put most of it into charcuterie.

Salami and Linguica after ferment and hung to dry; Copa after stuffing and hanging to dry

Attached Files:

17. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Thanks - ca.1959 tank I picked up for $40. All-told, about 600 lb. of steel in the beast.
    So, where exactly do you live? I want in YOUR hobby.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  18. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Living here in the NC mtns, gives one lots of options. All kinds of cycling, backpacking and hiking, whitewater kayaking, shooting, building AR15s...and my dogs.

3 day backpacking trip a few weeks ago. from my driveway I can see the trailhead 2000' vertical above. Just a 10 minute drive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shenanigans likes this.
  19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Turning is fun......until you do woodwork everyday,then its just a job:p Welding was a hobby until it became incorporated into out millwork,but its still fun when its aluminium.

XFBO likes this.
  20. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Competive action shooting (2/3 gun IDPA etc...) hunting. I want to start long distance shooting but I don't have the funds for the rifle.