1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been taken out by another rider?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Gigantic, Jan 26, 2010.

1. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Sorry, it was late and I'm tired.

We're downsizing and sold the house in Delta.... I filled two frigging dumpsters with shit so far.. I swear some of it Bonnie and I have never seen. While we are on the road people must break into our house and PUT STUFF IN!! Only plausable explanation for half of this crap. BTW.. Bonnie made me toss my "Roadracing....because golf is for pussy's" t-shirt. I am officially in mourning.

2. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

3. STT-Rider

Hot Pit Lane

4. teamneon

teamneon Well-Known Member

i had a guy go down right in front of me in a corner with gravel riding on the streets a few years ago. His engine cover busted and i came into the corner with gravel AND oil...needless to say we tangled a bit and me, him and his bike rolled off into the ditch while my F4 did some breakdancing in the middle of the street. I had gear on and rode home tho!

5. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Dude. Moving sucks. Totally feel for you. Hiring movers only gets you so far. Last time we moved I filled up 3 NESBA trailers with junk for runs to the dump. And when I look at our basement now I know it's going to be the same story with the next move.

6. intrcptrrdr

Dutch and Monte, you two get a room, let's get this back on track...STT is dangerous and NESBA sucks!

7. STT-Rider

Came on out beyotch.... Dutch will com eoutta retirement and him and I will take turns crashing you out and while you're getting your bike rebuilt between crashes we'll be bombing the N/B group. Any questions?

There, is that hateful enough?

8. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Can you guys do that while giving 2-up rides? I'd pay $$$ to see that. :Poke:

9. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Only if the "two up" means lesbian strippers in thongs.

10. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

I guess I'll bring a roll of dollar bills, then!

I'm not paying to see Morph or Doyer in a thong, though.

Edit: on second thought, maybe I'll just sit this one out...

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  11. intrcptrrdr

what has been seen cannot be un-seen

12. spider1329

spider1329 Well-Known Member

I have a question about getting "taken out". So last weekend I did my first trackday at Streets of Willow. Of course Im riding in the C group ( New Riders ). In the second session, as I'm coming to the end of the back straight right before the small "S" turns when all of a sudden I get hit hard from behind. I didnt know what the hell just happend and I have no idea how I saved it. The guy that hit me wasnt so lucky. His bike flipped and was pretty much destroyed. The ambulance had to pick him up but after he was ok. The worst part was that he was pitting right next to me. I asked him if he was ok and he asked me the same. I told him I was fine but I wanted to know what happend so I asked him and he just stared at me with a kinda mad look on his face. I really wanted to understand more what happend. He just kept looking at me like if it was my fault. He later told another rider that I supposedly took his line. I was like "WTF"! I just think he came in too hot coming into the "S" turns.

So after all that. Here is my question. Who is at fault if you get hit from behind even if I did take his line (which I know I didnt)??? And There was Absolutely no passing allowed in the morning for all C group also due to the high amount of riders.

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you are hit from behind, it is almost always the fault of the person that hit you. This would be particularly true if there was no passing allowed in the group at that time. It is the passing rider's responsibility to make a clean pass. In the more advanced groups there could be an argument that the rider being passed was riding unpredictably, but in a new rider group or even an Intermediate group, the passing rider should always be ready for the rider being passed to do something unpredictable.

If you are being passed, the line you want to take is your line. The passing rider needs to find another line. Once again, this may change as you get to the more advanced groups and you will be expected to take a more normal racing line.

The most important thing is that no one got seriously hurt. It is too late this time, but next time go find a control rider / coach on the spot and talk to them about what happened. They are usually really good people and could probably have cleared up any issue on the spot.

14. STT-Rider

Bring two-dollar bills..... I'll be sure Dutch's stripper thinks they are twenty's and I'll win the track day.

15. spider1329

Thanks! Really helpful stuff right there. I actuall did talk to a few riders that day and they all said it wasn't my fault. I even got some help from a few to bend my exhaust back and safety wire it to the broken mount.

16. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

We had a guy on a busa two weeks ago at Beaver try to "win" track day. Apparently if you cut the balls off the end of your levers it is good for 2-3 mph down the front straight. The other gem was that you should never scrub in tires on the track. Instead everyone needs to use brake cleaner to clean off the mold release. Oh, and we had him in the wrong class too. "I'm riding a 200 hp Hyabusa, I NEED to be in I class!" I think I'll go back once or twice a year just to remind myself of why I retired :D

17. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Correct, except it is ALWAYS the fault of the overtaking rider. The guy behind is responsible to avoid a collision, period. This goes double if there is no passing allowed in the session. Then it would theoretically impossible for you to "take his line" since his line should never pass your line.

That said, collisions occur in Beginner groups, sometimes because riders DO ride way off line, and are very unpredictable. If the club offers an introductory school, TAKE IT, and pay close attention. Even if you have to pay for the school, TAKE IT! That should give you an idea of the correct line, and also some guidelines of following distances, correct actions if you have a problem, etc.

Most track day organizations are very concerned about safety, and will happily steer you toward some guidance if you are needing it. Just ask. Leave your ego at home, and ask for help.

18. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

Hahaha, heard about that guy. He really cut the balls off the end of the levers? I assume that failed tech?

19. OptimizedGSXR

OptimizedGSXR Well-Known Member

Dude, that same shit almost happened to me on the same back straight. It freaked me the heck out! :down:

20. spider1329

The track org had a new riders meeting prior to the track opening. They were very specific on telling us about keeping your distance and that you can not be responsible for what goes on behind you onlt for what in front of you and to never trust anyone one the track cuz you never know what they may do.