1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been taken out by another rider?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Gigantic, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Have you ever been taken out by another rider at a trackday?
    How did it happen? how did the rider handle it? how did you handle it?
    did it affect your confidence any differently than if you'd crashed on your own?
    discuss.

2. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Yep :(
    After that you just pick up the bike, fix the broken parts and go give it hell again :D
    Everyone handled it just fine.

3. slowpoke387

slowpoke387 Well-Known Member

Yep, my last two were from guys who lost control and took me out because they couldn't get it slowed enough to make the turn that I was already committed to. Extremely aggravating but part of the risk. What kills me is that in both cases neither rider ever even bothered to come over then or later to check and see how I was or to discuss it at all.
    Maybe because it wasn't my fault I didn't lose any confidence. I think the biggest thing after a crash is to understand what happened and then you can mentally move forward. The worst thing for your confidence is not knowing why a crash happened.

4. firstcherokeeki

firstcherokeeki Rides like a girl!

That is crap. I have never taken anyone out but I would at the very least apologize and acknowledge the fact that I made a mistake. Even though I know it is all part of being on the track, taking responsibility for your mishap makes a better day for everyone.

5. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Yes.

Running in advanced I tucked in behind another rider. Approaching turn 7 at Putnam, the other rider signaled that they were either slowing down or planning to exit the track. At this time I noticed that my fuel light was on and decided to exit the track myself.
    As we entered turn 8 the other rider had not slowed and was still on the race line, so I chose to rail it one more time. (Dead Bear done right is a blast). Heading into 9 I went wide and signaled for pit exit, the other rider took the fast line up the inside. I foolishly assumed that he would be making another lap and promptly ignored him....

...Bad move. The next thing I knew he was moving across the track, signaling for the exit and clipped my front tire with his rear. I tried to correct and ride it out through the grass, but wound up losing the front and doing a 10 point header. He really did not hit me that hard and if I had been watching him closer I probably could have avoided him. In fact I don't even know for sure that he knew he hit me. (I am being nice here...)

Luckily I was not hurt, and was able to strip the bodywork off the bike, re tech and head out for the rest of my sessions $650.00 poorer and wiser.

I never looked up the other rider, and never heard from him, but I was able to laugh it off and get back on the track so it was all good.I really should have pulled him to the side and explained that you are never supposed to move from the race line to pit exit, but since I knew that he is a bit of a loudmouth and I have a bit of a temper I let that dog lie.

Due to the circumstances It really didn't effect my confidence and I went right back at it. I just wish I hadn't had my control rider jersey on at the time....

6. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Luckily I've never hit the ground because of another rider, but I've had two very close calls where the only thing that prevented serious 100+ mph crashes and mayhem were split-second reactions on my part. Both were with the same TD club, and both involved riders that had absolutely no business whatsoever being in the group they were in but were regardless because the club has a policy that anybody can sign up for any group with no screening whatsoever - since we all know being a 'fast' street rider means you should automatically sign up for the 'A' group first time out :rolleyes:

Needless to say I don't ride with that club anymore.

7. Nafterclifen

Nafterclifen Well-Known Member

I've never been taken out, completely...

I had someone pass me so close he took off my brake lever. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. He came over to me and apologized and I gave him an earful. Looking back, it could have been worse and although I hate to think about the risks, we all assume it riding on the track and you never know when something might happen. Anytime I go home with a shiny bike, I'm happy!

8. sch2046

sch2046 Well-Known Member

Mid Ohio

Ridding with STT in their int/adv day. This rider was not either! He was all over the track, he looked like he had been drinking......not really just all over the place. I couldnt pass him on the straights as his bike was much faster than mine and in the turns he was all over the place. It was the first session, so I thought "no big deal just warm up and stay away from him next session or pit and get distance."

After thunder alley or valley, the first left he stands the bike up and jams on the brakes. I wasnt close to him until he practically stopped I tried to go wide around the outside and I think he realized what he had done and tried to get off the inside line and hit me and knocked me into the gravel trap. My bike flipped several times as did I, I spent the next 3 months trying to shake a horrible concussion. That was the last time I did one of those events, as there was no body to police a riders ability. He never said anything to me and my head was so upside down I felt like getting sick just sitting there, so I wasnt inclined to voice my frustration. He did the same thing to several riders pitted around me. It was rediculous.

9. fbr

fbr Well-Known Member

and people wonder why when they're knocked down why the guilty party doesn't come to ask questions...

10. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I have crashed about 11 times: 2 street, 9 track. On track, I was taken out by another rider once, and one time my engine seized mid-corner. All others were me riding above my skills. :down:

11. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

:stupid::stupid::stupid:

i thought the same thing when i read his post

12. chocadile

chocadile Well-Known Member

Never had it happen to me, but I just started riding track this year. I've made a couple of stupid passes and have always walked over to the other party to apologize for stupidity on my part.

A buddy of mine was not so lucky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dVUBaoQxvQ, and the offending rider had nothing to say afterwards.

13. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

That's a sucker punch with a motorcycle. Yikes, I'd be hard pressed to not return the favor.

14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

the infamous vitamin j incident:(

15. gixxie750

gixxie750 Well-Known Member

man that dude got hit HARD! I have never been hit hard enough to crash nor have i hit anyone. If i did hit someone i would like to deff go say sorry,but people are not very reasonable and prob wont take it well. I totally agree with FBR on why people are scared to come say sorry. At grattan my buddy hit a kid who was parking it in the turns and had been annoying all day. My buddy crashed and the other rider just had rubber marks on his pipe. The kids dad came running over while they were still trying to sweep up my buddys bike off the track and started yelling he is going to pay for the damage. I am no fighter,but i had to snap on the guy. Dont put ur kid in A class with fast guys and then get mad when he gets nailed. It all worked out in the end,but people get too dam pissed. This is why i try to only race because all is fair in love and war and racing.

16. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I took my self out once at a pretty high rate of speed. I visitied my pits and offered my apologies but I wasn't having any of it and gave myself an earful. I even offered my self to help load the trailer but I wasn't nowhere to be found. I must have went to the hospital.

17. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

:wow: Dude rode through the grass after punting your buddy and couldn't even make the next turn so he rode through the grass again.

WTF. :down:

18. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Yer 'tarded. LOL

19. chocadile

chocadile Well-Known Member

Yup

I had the same reaction when hearing about this. I just couldn't believe it.

20. Former

Former Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I was like WTF?