1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever been taken out by another rider?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Gigantic, Jan 26, 2010.

1. R9935th

R9935th Well-Known Member

Just for clarification, the bike was professionally built. It had a Yoyodyne quick turn throttle assembly installed. It was installed correctly, however the Yoyo doesn’t have a “pin” like the stock throttle, instead it has a set screw to hold it on.

This event was NOT due to the rider being “lazy”.

And yes, I was there. I checked the bike immediately after the incident.
    Shit happens, sorry it got on you this time, but the rider in question is a stand up guy and did everything he could to avoid you.

2. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Two words.... "BLUE LOCTITE":up:

3. Steverin06

Steverin06 Well-Known Member

Ok for the 5th time, if he would have made sure his bike was safe, then he wouldn't have caused an unsafe situation. I know we take risks going on the track, but no one should have to take unnecessary risks from lazy riders who don't look over their own bikes.

It was just me in front of him on 50ft wide of pavement. Once again I have been in that situation before and I was more concerned with the riders in front of me and I immediately got off the track. Staying on the track, locking up the rear and getting out of control, while possibly taking out other riders was not an option. As a CR who everyone says is such a good rider, I thought he would have choose the first option.

4. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

blue locktite wouldn't have helped.
    going over the bike pre-ride wouldn't have helped.
    the set screw used to pin the throttle was tight, the rider had rotated the throttle assembly having held it WFO approaching that turn. the brakes worked normally up until that point. once the throttle housing rotated it prevented the brake lever from fully actuating. he had brakes, just not enough to slow down.

this is more explanation you have proven to deserve. i post it here for fear that someone out there might think you have some merit in your description of his approach to this very unforgiving sport.

joe

5. STT-Rider

Guys a little bummed someone took his shit out wholesale and it's gonna cost him 5k+.. I don't think telling him this is "more explanantion than he deserves" is a good way of showing him your heartfelt apology... just saying. Lets face it.. he did nothing wrong and got his shit packed, it's gonna leave a mark on him and on his wallet and he is going to vent. He'll get over it but it'll take a while.

6. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

it wasn't meant as a heartfelt apology. he got his apology at the track, where all of this should have stayed.
    he is spewing unsubstantiated crap about a very good friend of mine.

joe

7. STT-Rider

Maybe he didn't feel that he got 5k worth.. let him vent and it'll blow over with a little time.

8. Steverin06

Steverin06 Well-Known Member

You know at first I didn't understand this comment. I really don't consider myself a helluva guy. I just did what I thought was the right thing considering the circumstance. But when you're on the track with assholes like intrcptrrdr, I now understand why you said it.

So now you're saying the yoyo throttle assemblies, when properly installed, just rotate for no reason.

The fact is after taking me out and never asking me if I was ok, I asked him if he was going to do the right thing and his reply was "but my season is ruined". A simple "no" would have been alot better.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  9. slowmo

slowmo Well-Known Member

I was being genuine that it was a solid thing to do and tried to lighten things up w/ a little humor.

Steverin - genuinely sorry for your getting hit and hope you can move on from this. Many people have checked their throttle assemblies as a result of this -- myself included. Whether 'checking it over' will prevent it, I'm not knowledgable enough to have an opinion but will keep an eye on mine in the future.

I think you'd have gotten a lot further w/out posting up and flaming the guy, but it's all useless hindsight at this point on my end and anybody elses.

10. STT-Rider

The 5K figure came from post #101.....;)

11. Sedan_Clan

Sedan_Clan Capoeirista

Would a stock throttle assembly benefit from a once-over before hitting the track? If so, what should a rider look for?

12. danch

danch Well-Known Member

Well, apparently make Damn Sure it isn't going to rotate on the bar! Wind full open and pull back accross the top (like you might if you're hanging on in a 150 mph wind) and it should stay at the same position.

Stocker should be located with a pin that goes into the bar, but there's no harm checking to make sure that the pin is still there and unbroken.

13. Blakester

Blakester Just Waving Hi..

Back in '08,I was taken out on the, get this, warm up lap before the start of my race. Dude, came over a blind crest and bump the guy behind me and then plowed into the rear of my bike. I was sent on my head. I sustained brain hemmoraging, some minor brain damage and I stuttered and had double vison for over a month. Worse thing to happen to me on a bike, street or dirt. I was out for 5months being monitored by a neuroligist and it almost ended my riding for good.

14. bldg636

bldg636 Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me some idea of what to look for on my Motion Pro quick turn throttle so this doesn't happen to me? Want to make sure I have that sucker pinned down when i put it on, but just not sure what to look for . . . Is this pin on the throttle housing itself?

15. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I ground the pin off my stock housing and had it rotate (did not effect brakes or throttle action though). I wrapped the bar in duct tape and then put the housing over that. It could probably still turn but after crash testing that side it didn't even budge.

16. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Monte, your interest in this would have nothing to do with the fact that the incident happened at a NESBA day at Mid Ohio would it now? I'm sure if this were any other track you would be watching this like a hawk as well. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

To the dude who got taken out. Sorry man, shit does happen. And sometimes it happens really, really fast. I get your pissed and want someone to blame. I just think you are going overboard with it. It was a mechanical. It happens. If the dude was riding like a total asshat and took you out I'd tell you to keep flaming away. But it wasn't. You got your apology and an explanation. No one has said you ever did anything wrong. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time and it sucks. But you need to put your big boy pants on, stop calling people names, and go on with your life. This shit ain't knitting.

17. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

18. daro

daro Well-Known Member

Turn 1 at Jennings at a STT track day by a expert racer on a duc 848 who was trying to pass me too fast (I was on an sv650) on the inside and as he did he low sided into my rear wheel which caused me to crash and get knocked out and I had no idea what hit me. The guy apologized.

I did look over my shoulder for a while but that passed. I try not to give up the inside these days.
    The track photographer happened to catch the whole thing. Pics in revers order at
    http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc205/daronow/track/

in this photo you will note that the shield to my helmet is no where near my head. This indicates the force of the hit. DSC_8687.jpg

19. STT-Rider

No, not in the context you are thinking. Wrong place at the wrong time for the guy. IMO all he needs is time, just like myself or most anyone else would. Although I have never taken a customer out, members of my staff have so I am sympethetic to both parties in this instance.

As they say.. don't take anything out of HPL that you are not willing to bring back in a front end loader. I've seen some come back that way. Sucks but that's a risk we must accept however small it may be.

20. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Dammit Monte. Stop being rational. You just ruined any potential this thread had for going another 4 pages. :D