1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handgun for the misses recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by CB186, May 14, 2017.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I saw that. I also recommended the LCR. It makes no sense to me why you would buy you wife something that is complicated and prone to FTF and FTE when a .38 special revolver is so simple and easy. With plenty of stopping power to boot.

2. luke738

luke738 Well-Known Member

I hear y'all, I always try to get new shooters into revolvers. It's funny how someone could see an automatic as less complicated than a revolver. Of course I recommend All newbies to seek quality training!

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Revolvers are old fashioned, not cool. That said I love my Colt 357.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The coolest guns I own are SAAs. Most valuable is one of them as well.

5. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Revolvers are a more elegant weapon than automatics.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm not too worried about a carry gun at this point, but something she can learn with and get comfortable handling/shooting.

7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Yes, the semi auto has more moving parts, but they are all hidden on the inside. Firing a revolver you can see everything happening, so it looks more complicated.

8. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Smith&Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Springfield XDS 9mm
    Glock G26 9mm
    Sig Sauer P320 9mm

These are in no particular order. All good quality handguns. Smith&Wesson does have a $75 mail in rebate going til June 30th

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So we went shooting today and rented some guns. Started out with an XD9-S for her and a CZ-75B for me.
    The XD was first up. I showed her how it functioned and shot a few rounds first. Then she shot it and wasn't happy. She hasn't shot very much and it was too much(she was getting really anxious).
    I put that away and went to the CZ. I really like it other than the non ambidextrous safety. I would be curious how it reacts to ++P ammo as apposed to standard range loads, but recoils was easily managed and got back on target very fast(I'm used to a full size 1911). 14 rounds was weird, but nice. It will probably be my next carry gun.
    We swapped the XD for a Buckmark and she was much, much happier. It didn't scare her and she actually enjoyed it. This is good in that a threaded Buckmark is on my short list. :D

10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

put 200 down range with the sig 320 compact. 147 and 115's . everything worked well and considering doing some matches. Definitely my go to gun for awhile as I sold my 686 today.

11. Critter

Critter Registered

My wife carries the G19 as well she loves it,

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Bedside table home defense, or daily purse carry?

Two totally different things, and two totally different choices fit.

For daily purse carry, there are a brazillion different choices depending on hand size, physical strength, and personal comfort preferences. The only way to answer that is to put a lot of rounds through a lot of different handguns at a range.

For home defense, a shotgun! But for the bedside table handgun, you can't beat a 38 special with hollow points. When you are startled awake in the middle of the night and someone is in your home intending to do harm to you and yours, there will be an adrenaline dump that you simply cannot emulate with any simulation. Your hands will shake, your mind will race, and your thoughts will become somewhat incoherent. A revolver has no safety, no slide to rack, nothing to remember to do other than point and pull the trigger.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You only read the title, didn't you? :D

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Ruger LC9s Pro>? I just picked one up a couple weeks ago...been impressed with it so far...about 300rnds.
    It was about $325 here local.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

READ???? What is that?

:crackup:

16. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

17. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

Jumped ahead a few pages so I am sorry if this is a repeat...The best gun for anyone is the one that they will carry. After a short time most people want something light and sometime easy to put into a pocket or purse. Ruger LCP will do the job at short range as well as anything with the right ammo. Can't use any gun you don't have on you no matter how cool it is> IMO

Sublet

18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

How big is she? Might need a bit of Taylor KO value. Is she fast and shifty? How close can you get?

You probably shouldn't ask on a public forum, though.