1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handgun for the misses recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by CB186, May 14, 2017.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So now that I bought myself a new rifle, and got a .223 barrel for Squirrel to use to practice her open sights shooting(instead of her muzzle loader barrel), I suppose I should start looking for a handgun for momma.
    .40 or 9mm(want less recoil), semi auto, good, reliable gun for small hands. Not spending $1k, but not buying shit either. $400-600(700 tops).

Go.

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Glock 19. She will absolutely love it. Easy to shoot, load, take-down, and conceal (if needed). It's what my wife carries. She tried about a dozen handguns before she settled on the G19. I personally carry an M&P Shield 9mm.

3. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

XD 9mm. Great gun, super comfy to shoot and easy to clean. I prefer the angle of the grip to a glock. Best thing to do is to take her to an indoor shooting range and try out the different rental guns they have and see what she likes/shoots best. Note: My EX loved shooting the XD with the Hogue rubber grip. (like 20$)

4. I 2nd the 19 as long as it fits her, key being buy a gun that fits her hand but is also a good gun. So in summary what the two gents above have said.

5. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Screaming deals on Shields from Palmetto State right now with rebates. Just picked up a 9mm for the wife from there. IIRC $215 plus transfer

sdiver and BrianC636 like this.
  6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

We will definitely be renting for her to try out, but what to narrow down to the best 4-5 canidates ahead of time.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You might want to look for a handgun for the hits instead. Just sayin'. :D

(3rd the 19 in all seriousness)

tiggen likes this.
  8. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Is she thinking about using it for concealed carry?

9. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

My wife has a G42 (.380) and she has small hands and the shield was too big for her. The G43 is the same size as the 42 but its 9mm. If she can handle the bigger grip she might want to try the G19.

10. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

4th on the 19, it's my edc in an alien gear iwb holster

Lawn Dart likes this.
  11. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Might as well vote another for a G19 if she can fit it, hide it, and handle the grip angle.

The Springfield XDS and the M&P Shield are good choices too. Hell, the Sig P320, H&K P30 are good choices as well. If you can find the CZ P10c, it gets great reviews.

Really you should just take her to try out everything you can find, except hi point.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Possibly, but it would be a purse carry, not body carry. She really just wants to get comfortable shooting and have the confidence, "just in case".

13. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Depending on the need I would say Glock 19 or Glock 43. I also have an XDS but I keep buying all the glocks I come across. Not sure about your state but I have no issues buying 2nd hand guns in Texas I'll by glocks for 400-450 all day long.

14. Bloodhound

I'd steer away from .40 then as they are "barky" compared to a 9mm or .45.

Glock 19 or 26, H&K VP9, S&W Shield, Springfield XD 9 would be at the top of my shortlist.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

My wife likes her XD 9, and my niece likes my XDs .45, I like them both better than the shield. 9mm would be my choice and the 147's shoot softer.

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Wow lots of Glock fans here. Personally, I hate them. The grip angle is all wrong and the trigger doesn't suit me.

Check out the Sig P938 with the finger groove grips. Its great. 7 or 8 rounds, lots of options to make it 'hers'.

But really, go rent some and let her shoot all different ones. Its like pants, one size does not fit all...

condon66 likes this.
  17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Get her a .357 GP series Ruger; small hands need small grips.
    I like the idea of a double action wheel gun as it forces a (less experienced) shooter to think about it.
    Use .38 for practice, and the heavy loads for self protection.
    The 19 is a nice gun but built for experienced shooters.

18. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

What's so experienced about the G19? aim and pull the trigger.

19. Bloodhound

Advanced technique: Hold it sideways and throw the bullets out the end of the gun.

20. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I used to hate glocks because of the grip angle, then I bought one and practiced drawing from concealment and for some reason, with little practice, it was easier to get that first shot on target than with a conventional grip angled weapon.