1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handgun for the misses recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by CB186, May 14, 2017.

1. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I grabbed a Sig P938 BRG model after a deep search/feel for a smaller carry pistol. I love it.

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

My wife shoots a 1911 and absolutely loves it. She had a 9mm for a while but once she shot the 45 that was it.

3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Heather preferred the smaller G26 over the G19, so that's what she bought for herself. But, at the end of the day her goto is my S&W 360 in .38 Special.

For semi-autos, one of the biggest issues for her is being comfortable racking the slide. She preferred the Glocks over smaller single stack guns because they gave her more area to grip it.

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Some say it's easy to shoot yourself with a Glock. Suppose it's that way with any striker fired pistol where the first trigger pull is as easy as the rest, something gets in the way during holstering and "blam!", you shot your a$$ off. Training and experience mitigate this risk.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Just scanned through the replies on the first page, does she have small or large hands?

G19 might be slightly too thick for her if she doesn't have large hands and it'll be harder to carry even in her handbag, imho.....I'd put the LC9 on your list to check out. Also big fan of the M&P line and keep hearing awesome things about their Shield.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

If it's for purse carry, look for a used H&K P7. That about the only weapon I'd carry off my body if I ever decided I didn't want to conceal on my person. If somehow it ends up being grabbed out of the purse, the bad guy would have to figure out how to use it before firing it. :D

7. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

IMO it's not a smart idea to carry in her purse. If she gets robbed at gun point she just gave the bad guy another gun. Just my 2 pennies.

My wife carries a Ruger LCP 380 with RIP rounds. Fits her hand, small enough to conceal carry when she runs etc. Pretty useless outside of 10 feet though, but hopefully she's not going to be getting into a fire fight.

8. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

HK VP9 sk is out. Or G43.

9. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Too snappy. A lot of women aren't comfortable with handguns like that. Same with the G42/43.

10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Nothing says "I love and trust you" like buying the SO a handgun and training them to shoot.

Hey, have you thought about trying all the rentals first and letting her choose?

11. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I got my wife a Sig Sauer P238 SAS and she loves it. The SAS (Sig Anti Snag) treatment, which rounds all of the sharp edges, makes it very comfortable to carry. It's only .380 but she shoots it so accurately that both of us feel comfortable with her using that caliber. Before you "pull the trigger" on another handgun, I would take a look at it. The extended mag with the extra finger grip allows me to use/carry it as well.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p238-sas-micro-compact.html

12. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Smith & Wesson J Frame, full weight models.

13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Man, that thing weighs a ton, she could always use her now weighted handbag as a weapon too.....:D.....awesome handgun tho.

This thread had me checking, M&P Shield can be had for about $230 until June 1st.....killer deal imho.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm going through the same thing with my daughter right now. She wants her CC, so we went to the range and she tried the variety of pistols I own. The Bersa was the best
    fit for her. In Kentucky you have to demonstrate that you can field strip and clean the CCW that you're using and the Bersa was also quite easy for her. It's basically a
    less expensive version of the Walther PP. Mine is a bit more classic than the ones they sell now, but the same pistol. $300 all day anywhere (less on Armslist if you don't
    mind used).

[​IMG]

15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

another vote for the p238, 938 from sig. my wife, (and several of her female friends), have these for range, and concealed carry. Ski

rugbymook likes this.
  16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I vote to decide after a rental session at the rang, or better, a basic firearms class. Anything from a major brand will work, but handguns are kind of a personal thing at the end of the day. .40 is a lot snappier than 9mm though, especially if she ends up with a smaller framed pistol. Also, they are typically harder to rack if she has weaker hands. One of my best friends recently went through this and they had to drop down to a .380 to get something she could easily rack the slide on. Although my 4' 11" stepmother has no problems with her G26, 19 and 17.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm sure glad you guys have good reading comprehension.... :D

Lawn Dart and scottn like this.
  18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.:crackup:

You already have your answer though. Glock, Sig, SW, etc. All fine, just pick the one she likes.

19. Chango

Chango Something clever!

While you're there anyway, try as many guns as you can at the range. My wife and I were both surprised by what we found out when we did that. I have carried my Shield 9 for a couple of years now and like shooting it, so I went in expecting to like it the best. My wife loved the feel of the Glock 19 in the store, so that is what she expected to like best. Turns out, we both really really liked shooting the Ruger SR-9, and we were also both more accurate with it. If you're within 20 feet of me, I can most likely poke a 9mm hole on the body part I want to hit with the Shield. With the Ruger I can pick which testicle to shoot.

20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

This. Its my summer pistol. Its so small and slim its so hard to detect. 7 in the mag and one in the chamber, theres plenty of nasty ammo out there to make 1 hit a kill hit.

Its slimmer than the Glock.

rugbymook likes this.