1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handgun for the misses recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by CB186, May 14, 2017.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think so, but that's certainly not an option for her.

2. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Whatever you pick, Make sure she can cycle the action comfortably, repeatedly, as well as any safeties and slide stop. A relative had a G23, but when it came to charging it, she struggled and lost confidence in her ability to operate it safely, so she ended up getting a j-frame.

It was part hand strength, part manicure, part hand lotion. Woman problems.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

You can get her a good reliable hand gun on the cheap, I did recently. I'm a big fan of Glocks and Kimbers, I have multiples of both. But, after carrying those handguns for years, I wanted a less expensive carry weapon. Did some research and found something I could live with and actually like. It's a Taurus Millennium G2. A 9mm can be had for less than $250, I gave $279 for my .40. I would link a video of a review I trust, but rules and all. I can send the link on a PM if requested.

5. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Taurus carries a lifetime warranty. Even if you buy it used from an individual.

But Zastava m85 or m92.

6. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

This is exactly why I want to play with the P320.

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

That's why my wife wanted the G19. She could actually operate it.

8. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Depends on the gun. I wanted something my wife could use without thinking. Remove from holster and squeeze the trigger. A CCW should not be a 50 foot fire fight weapon. It's a less than 10 feet weapon that can get rounds into a bad guys guts. It is not ideal for a home defense weapon either.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Yea the are! I bought a .380 yesterday and get the $75 rebate. $191.99 delivered.

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I started with a Sigp229 (9mm) and several thousand rounds later, I decided to add a 320 (9mm).
    Took 250 rounds of two types of ammo (125 blazer, 125 pmc bronze) per gun out to the range. Shot 3,5,7,10,20yds with both guns with both ammos

Out of the box, the 320 outshot the 229. Most likely will be my carry gun when I get the permit.

For ~$550 it's a good package. I've since added a threaded barrel for the 320, so now it's quite quiet too.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I agree. For most people, a hammerless revolver is probably the best. They may not hold as many bullets, but they're as simple as a hammer - yank it out, stick it into the bad guy's belly, and pull the trigger until he stops fighting. Added bonus is that they're pretty powerful for such a small package.

12. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I didn't see it mentioned...

Have a look at the Walther PPS M2. Very, very comfortable, and easy to aim & shoot, especially if using for CPL. All my buddies that I've let try it have been as impressed as I am with it.

I tried lots and lots before settling on it because it shot the best.

$459-$479 most places.

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

For the budget route I carry a Bersa BP9CC. These come in 380, 9 and 40 and my daughter (who was 12 at the time) had no trouble oeprating it for a training course.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

How is it for carry? I feel like its bigger than my G19, which is counter to what I'm going for, but damn I like the way it looks and feels.

15. luke738

luke738 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with dry firing a center fire firearm, and we don't mind our customers doing so. I recommend a Walther PPS, an XD-S, or a Shield. Lots of great recommendations in this thread.

16. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You may be feeling the higher bore axis of it or just that it's "new" to you.

Dimensionally, slightly bigger but not by much, IMO. My hand's don't integrate with the Glock at all, so the 19 wasn't an option.
    It's almost identical to my Sig P-229

Glock
    LENGTH 174 mm / 6.85 in.
    HEIGHT 127 mm / 5.00 in.
    WIDTH 30 mm / 1.18 in.

Sig320
    Length 183 mm (7.2 in) P320 Compact (+ 0.35 inch over G19)
    Height 131 mm (5.2 in) P320 Compact (+0.2 inch over G19)
    Width 35.5 mm (1.4 in) P320 Compact (+0.22 inch over G19)

17. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I'm actually surprised at the lack of revolver recommendations. So damn simple and perfect for a ladies handbag.

What gives?

18. luke738

luke738 Well-Known Member

In my experience, some customers that are ladies are more intimidated by a revolver and or feel like it is too complicated. I do my best to demonstrate and explain the differences , pros and cons of revolvers vs automatics, but for some reason very few people buy revolvers other than experienced shooters, at least that has been my limited sales experience. Nobody wants a wheel gun, everyone wants a "simpler" automatic. It's hard to explain to a customer that they have it backwards.

19. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Weird.

I love my wheelguns.

V5 Racer likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

post 71

Really? A revolver has what, 5 or 6 parts? An auto has 30. For me, the biggest benefit of the revolver is that it cannot be taken out of battery or jam. You're going to get your 5 or 6 big bangs no matter what. And then you can use it as a club :D