1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

So without going back and reading 157 pages if I had a stock 24 grom and wanted to race with WERA what would be the best options to be semi competitive. brands and rough pricing would be ideal.

I assume suspension (ohlins?), ECU, tires, exhaust would be the minimums, maybe rear sets? gotta be able to carry corner speed!

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

if you change the intake and exhaust, you can get a flashed ECU from DHM Motoring. rearsets seem to be popular for the Grom series. Ohlins suspension is the choice in the paddock, but many Grom enthusists like RaceBros as well.

gt#179 likes this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I know I'm late to the game (story of my life) but after last weekend at Tally the Grom looked fun. Perusing my local ads I see 14-24's all over the board, but generally $2500-$3400. Is the 2022+ with the 5 speed really that much better? We may try the Grom Cup but it's more for a pit bike and general around town goofiness.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why do you want a slower goofing-aroundbike? You have to buy to buy the 5-gear version......... because there's no 6-gear model!

rd400racer likes this.
  5. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Hard to believe this thread is almost 10 years old

6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

21+ are supposedly better all around and have slightly more power. they have a known trans whine issue that is commonly discussed on the FB groups. if you're looking for a purely street/pit toy, the hot setup is a 17-20 with a CBR 250r/300 swap. find a donor bike and swap over the motor, exhaust, harness, speedo and a $200 bracket kit.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I had that setup (300 swapped into a 2018 chassis) and got rid of it - the issue is the injector and how it mounts up to the CBR engine. I tried some of the 3D printed ones that they're selling on FB, but nothing seemed to work. It makes fuel delivery and getting that dialed in a real bear......

Buuuuuut, it could also do 100 mph with my fat ass on it :D (which to be fair was quite SKETCHY on those 12" tires with that wheelbase).

If I were to do another Grom, I'd do something like yours and get it built to the max with the stock engine.

DBConz likes this.
  8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Tires and corner speed question from you?

10. rd400racer

Well I joined the club. Found a 23 with 1K miles for 3 grand. It's practically brand new. Let the fun begin!

[​IMG]

Banditracer, BOMDIVR and HPPT like this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

It's a sad state of affairs when you have to squeeze a Grom sideways in your "truck" bed

12. rd400racer

My truck does just fine.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Its just jokes... my truck is a Venza. Congrats on the Grom

rd400racer likes this.