1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

just picked mine up from the shop. 5 speed trans and NEO181 2v done. holy crap this little bike flies now. new redline is 11k and it cruises at 65 MPH at 6500 RPM. much better for long country roads that are 45-50 MPH limits.

2. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

which 5 speed trans did you go with? I read the aftermarked 5 speed kits don't really have the right ratios to improve the usefulness of the extra gearing, adding the ratio down low instead of giving a gear between the current 3rd and 4th?

3. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Hold up, that gearbox has the same top ratio, and 1st is CLOSER... your old gearbox had a wider spread. With the same chain and sprockets, your RPM to MPH wouldn't change between 4th on the old set and 5th on the new... but now your 1st is even taller than before? I almost think I'd have skipped the gearbox swap and just gone with the top end.

5. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

You are correct about the wider spread, but that's the problem with stock. You really have to wring it out to keep it in the power because the RPM drop between them too much.

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i'm using 16/34 now i think. so it's +1 in the front

8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Took my bike out for its first street ride with the NEO motor.

this is what i'll show Joe next time he asks me to enter my bike in the Grom cup :crackup:

Attached Files:

Phl218 likes this.
  9. baconologist

What gearing?

10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Fast Grom you got there DB.

11. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

16/34 now. i might do a 35

baconologist likes this.
  12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I did eventually do the Öhlins front and rear. I haven't even ridden the bike yet because it's 1000 degrees down here. @DBConz what is this engine mod you speak of? Some boost getting through traffic would be nice.

13. baconologist

That’s stout for a 181 2v!

This is what mine’s in the middle of. You give me hope for the Ton.
    6FCEBAA8-F131-4495-BBA6-2D07A5C44BC3.jpeg

Phl218 likes this.
  14. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

What’s everyone running for a chain?

15. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

:bow::crackup:

I can’t fathom going that fast on a kids’ bike.

16. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i have a ported head and TB spacer, this will get you into the 24hp range. you want that brass TB screw too, makes things easier from what i hear. all internals were WPC coated (except 5 speed trans) which helps a lot with cooling.

17. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

DID 420 (stock pitch) is good for over 30hp. some go to 428, but i dont need it.

18. baconologist

Nice!
    I’m cheating with a 250

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I had a 300 in mine. It was a riot, but I didn't ride it enough and the throttle response was all wonky because of the location/orientation of the injector. There's a guy on FB who sells 3d printed elbows to house the injector that helped a bunch when installed, but it was still too herky jerky for my tastes.

20. baconologist

Yeah, I’m waiting for them now.

SuddenBraking likes this.