1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Financial success vs happiness?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Money can't buy happiness but it sure makes being miserable a lot more fun.

2. sdg

sdg *

I'd also be a lot happier if I was dumb.

Oh, wait.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If? :D

4. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

$cientology has a course that can help you! go check them out!

5. sdg

sdg *

Exactly.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They wouldn't let me join. I took one of their personality tests and they wouldn't let me finish it and asked me not to come back. True story.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

I had a job that the manager was one of the most toxic, insecure people probably that I had ever met. She had no clue what she was doing, but she was very politically connected, and basically untouchable. It is well known how terrible she is, but no one would/could do anything.

We had Ivy league grads, and people in previously prominent positions all leave...my manager left, so I was assigned to her. She basically wanted any one that could threaten her with knowledge to leave, quit, or be as miserable as possible. I changed my hours so we could interact less...I looked forward to Friday Afternoon, and dreaded Sundays. As an example for a power trip, she would always wait til about 5 minutes before the day I requested off, even if I submitted it months in advance, and there was no reason to do this. We did not have any timelines that made availability an issue. I was the last one left in the department for a bit, out of like 14 people. She even took the internet away.

I eventually was at the point that I was going to leave, and the only reason I didn't any sooner was because my twins were babies, we needed the $$. it was stressing me out, affecting my family life, and to the point that I felt that I was going to have a heart attack. Panic attacks are a very real thing I found out.

If you feel like that, I say run...run fast. If it's that you're bored or want something more challenging, then stay the course a bit, get rid of the "fancy" stuff, save that $$ and then get something you enjoy.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Anyone here work in aviation?

I'm about tired of these country singers and industry.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Whoa. You can't drop a nugget like this and run!
    :Pop:

10. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

What... EXACTLY is your job. The older I get the less I want to do. Motorcycles are my passion and I would be happy selling them or some how in the industry. But that ain't a possibility. The market in my area sucks and most don't make shit. So That's outta the question. I like my job, but give me one making more money, I'd jump ship in a second. Also do you have kids? Wife and what not?

11. sdg

sdg *

You forget who you're talking too?

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It was a long time ago, there was all kinds of cults running around PA/ NY/ NJ and I knew what it was and how to work it. I was meaner with a much darker sense of humor. They'd ask the question and I had my own brand of fun with it.

13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

happiness. hands down.

I mean, I have to say that, because I don't make very much money, so yeah - definitely happiness.

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Currently practicing what the little guy is saying.

15. sdg

sdg *

It was verbal!? Holy shit that would be awesome...

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

If you have an engineering degree, seek the work on Energy Projects. As long as you are willing to travel, the monies is worth it. You won't have a life but you will save enough to think about better days.

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Quote of the day.

18. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I guess for one I need to leave my current job. It is a highly toxic environment and there is way too much water under the bridge to move beyond. In the short term that would address some of the unhappiness. In the long run, i am not sure what will happen. I would love to try and transition into something I am passionate about, but I don't know how to go about doing it.

19. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

take a vacation for couple of weeks.
    don't go anywhere in particular
    and see how you like it :D

20. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I just got back from Maui yesterday :)