1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Financial success vs happiness?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Seems to me that happiness when you're older is marching around the gym lockerroom with your old man balls hanging low and blow drying your freshly shampooed and conditioned pubes.

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Imagine the person reading this post that didn't look at the other thread.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The happiness isn't derived from the actual act, but from knowing how much it pisses off the uptight youngsters and just not giving a shit.

4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

This is why I don't undertand the idea or sight of angry old folks? They should be happy. They are just to be pissing somebody off.

My grandfather could have played the role of Andy Dufresne, as described by Red.

5. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I don't know how your debt:income:retirement:savings ratios look, but I'm in a similar philosophical position as you. I have a college degree I don't use, but I have a secure job with a major oil company that pays well.

I'm only 32, but I'm going on 10 years with the company and getting burned out. What keeps me going is the drive for "Frick you" money. My wife is about to be a stay at home mom for a few years, and this job let's us have that option. I will continue to save extremely heavy for retirement, and get my house paid off in the next few years. I should have the financial freedom to "early retire" to a lower paying, fun job by the time I reach 40.

Point is this: Give yourself the mental peace of mind of an out. Develop a plan to leave early, but don't do it in haste. The plan you develop will bring you immediate peace and give you a finite goal to work towards.

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:stupid:

Me: 14 years older and no wife. :D

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

This alone could be the secret to Happiness :wow:

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Unlike some, when it is time to go home, I don't drive around looking for bars or to waste time. I go home. :D

9. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Gotta have money to get the pussy. Plain and simple.

10. sdg

sdg *

No, actually, you don't. The appearance of having money does in fact make it easier.;)

11. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was a nurse for an orthopedic surgeon. He partnered with the surgeon to design some new type of medical device to make surgeries easier. They were so successful that he started his own medical device company. Last I heard he was in discussions with a larger company to be acquired. If you want I can put you in touch with him.

As someone already said, you should try to find a way to leverage your extensive background and experience in the medical field (notice I didn't say nursing...don't limit yourself) and blend it with your engineering degree. You know better than most the pain points practitioners and patients face on a daily basis. Start thinking of ways to solve them and then leverage your connections to talk to a variety of administrators to determine whether they would actually buy the solution you created (don't worry no one is going to take your idea...people are inherently lazy).

Good luck.

12. ped

ped Banned

that's why the guy doing all that doesn't have first world problems....

Nobody gets ahead by working hard, you do it by paying the desperate and dumb next to nothing to work hard for you.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

meet

and, i am of the opposite opinion. what the fuck is the point of working yourself to the bone at three jobs to support a family you never get to see? i'm not proposing not supporting the family, i am proposing figuring out a way to support them that doesn't involve never seeing them. one job doesn't pay enough to make rent? move to a cheaper area.. North Dakota's a bit more affordable than Los Angeles. to say that someone working three jobs has to do it is stupid; they choose to do it, whether they have realized they can change their lifestyle or not. "The only thing you have to do is die."

i am one of that "not fucking many".. i would do what i get paid to do regardless of the money. i come back from maui looking forward to going to work, and i know that i am lucky in that regard. but it's not all luck; everyone has talents that they can nurture and pretty much all talents of a high enough caliber are very valuable to someone. sure, you might have to massage it a little bit - street performers don't make much money, but they are ultimately performers and guess what, so is Brad Pitt, who seems to be doing alright for himself. get good enough at what you want to do, and someone will pay you to do it.

14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Work for money and motorcycles for happiness. Work hard, play hard.

No, money can't buy happiness but lack of money can surely cause unhappiness.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have to disagree with you here. I hear this kind of thing from people all the time, including from hypocrites who constantly bitch about their own situation or geographic location. "If they're not happy, they should move."

It's a bit more complicated than that. Know what it takes to move? Capital. Precisely what they are lacking and the reason they have to work three jobs. It's easy to move when you're single and only have yourself to worry about. It's an entirely different story to uproot your family when you can't afford it.

16. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I love you Chris but this comment just proved the quote in your signature is correct... ;)

You're pretty well traveled...you of all people should know what you just said is bullshit. Americans and many other nations have it so well they don't even realize it when they discuss topics like this...

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

But this brings the question of why consider expansion without capital?

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I work with a lot of folks that don't see their children or loved one for months at a time.

They decide not to uproot their family but still do right by them. They follow the work/projects. Money and a phone call go a long way.

Right now, I would say that 90% would leave in no time, if a project were to pop up in the South (Gulf Coast). Everyone and their grandmother is lining up for Spectra's pipeline going into FL.

19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I got kinda carried away with it I guess... my point was, it's generally possible to be happy if you're willing to let go of anything you're holding on to that's not making you happy. yeah, moving does take a lot of money to do.. if you're taking all your stuff with you. four bus tickets, four duffel bags, two air mattresses and a security deposit don't add up to that much though.

now, that is extreme, and it does make a lot of assumptions - for example it's assuming that you're safe, healthy, and what makes you happy is intangible - but i guess what i'm trying to say is it's more of a mindset. once you figure out what's actually standing in your way, it's usually pretty easy to find a way around it.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

We're not talking about running from a drug cartel or political oppression, man. We're talking about a "normal" move for a better quality of life. :D