1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facial scan @ ID scan @ restaurant

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, May 9, 2023.

1. I’m with you on probably has more to do with their license than anything else. Can get booze Sundays at my private country club I belong to sitting right next to the people who voted for the laws against it for years. There used to a be a small place on the lake that was a private club, bastards charged $1/ year for a membership.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

As you touched on, they don’t need to chip you. The phone is a way better source of information about you than a passive locator chip would ever be.

You guys think it’s scary now?

The next step is obviously going to be widespread neural augmentation. Think about where that’ll go for a minute.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I won’t, and you can’t make me!

969 and A. Barrister like this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Time to bone up on my hackin' skills. :D

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The wording doesn't change anything. You still have to sign a waiver, nowhere does it say it's paper.

6. fastfreddie

Where does it say they're taking a picture? Do they include a privacy statement?
    I get that it's a private venue and they can do what they want to identify their clients, but where does one find those disclosures?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What disclosure is necessary? Don't like it, turn around and leave.

I would like to point out most tracks have security cameras just so you don't freak over those. :crackup:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

I have no problem with an entity doing what they feel is in their best interests of security, but I have security interests as well, part of which is disclosure of the privacy policy(-ies) along with the measures they've enacted BEFORE I GET THERE. Once I'm on my way to the venue, I consider it doing business. To not disclose their policies so I can choose not to do business before I invest time/money is BS.
    What lack of conscientious thought and honesty would make an individual think that springing security measures on their prospective customers after they've driven however many hours to attend an event a good idea that won't also bring potential backlash? Are they looking for a fight or are they just stupid?
    Either way, yeah, I'm leaving.

Are those tracks ascribing an ID to the image? You're starting to sound like a 'tard, scanning is a given. What I'm understanding PITTRace to be doing should be disclosed. If you don't have the documents in front of you to support the answers to my questions, don't guess and don't fucking patronize me. Giving up your rights is your business but don't be giving up mine, nor expect me to, in the process.

969 and A. Barrister like this.
  9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

To be clear, I just like to bitch about it. I know there's plenty of cameras around anyways, it just feels invasive to snap pictures of everyone and the kids in the car, even if it logically doesn't matter. I keep coming every year anyways :)

Probably more annoyed that I have to wake up my inevitably sleeping kids and take them to the ticket office at Barber every time we start the weekend. Woe is me!

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you walk out of every place with security cameras. Interesting.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It matters when it comes down to being sued and that is all this entire process is about. Can't say you didn't sign the waiver when they have your picture. They're not keeping track of anything or selling info to anyone, it's pure CYA.

12. fastfreddie

If you're gonna not comprehend what your members have to say and make presumptions about their behavior, I can't talk to you.
    In an effort to maintain a civil dialogue, can you not answer my questions about PITT's policies with fact so I know whether or not I'll ever return there?
    If you don't have the answer, what's so hard about saying so?
    Also, don't you think that might be a policy you should make your members aware of if it does, in fact, exist? I'm not joking around.

For your benefit, allow me to reiterate my understanding of PITT's reported/alleged policy(-ies).
    Goes like this...
    I show up. Signing in, a pic is taken that is somehow attached to my signing a waiver, creating a photo ID for their records.
    My questions are...
    How is that done? Where's the disclosure that says it's being done? I see nothing on their website disclosing this procedure nor do I see anything that stipulates, by signing, that I consent to having my image recorded and, by doing so, a photo ID for their records being created. Let alone, where's the privacy policy statement?

I do not consent and, I'll be real clear here, I'm gonna be extremely agitated if I show up and the gate informs me of these alleged/reported measures for which they've provided no advance notification.

As far as security cameras, yeah, they're everywhere. But they don't ascribe an ID to the image that the "watching" establishment has access to...they can't do facial recognition anymore than they can look up a vehicle's license plate.

Please understand that your comments are out of context and not appreciated. All I'm looking for is the policy confirming disclosure of their actions and the subsequently relative privacy policy. I can find neither. If you can't find them either, may I suggest you contact them in an effort to clear the air?
    Under the current circumstances, I will not attend an event there.

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Sounds reasonable to me.

And to expand on that. On a recent visit to our local gigantic medical facility network, I was asked whether I wanted to enroll in their facial recognition program. I declined, and no more was said.

I have considerably more confidence in their ability to maintain security over anything to do with me than Larry, Moe and Curly working the gate at PittRace or Betty and Veronica acting as hostesses at the local diner.

What are you not getting Sean? Do you have your Monday crankypants on?

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You stated quite clearly that you want to know about having your image captured prior to going. I don't know what you're asking about PIRCs policies so I don't have answers - not to mention I can't remember the last time you came out to a track so I assumed that as usual your posts were bitching just to bitch. As for having an answer - ask a real question to me and I'll try to answer or I'll say I can't.

No, I do not think it's a policy that would matter to anyone with any grasp of modern technology.

No, you sign a waiver on a website, they then take a picture to log in your time through the gate as they check you have signed the electronic waiver on the website. No different than a security camera at the gate just easier to search if a lawsuit happens as the check in of the e-waiver is timestamped.

And I said - So you leave anywhere with security cameras capturing your image because there is absolutely not one single iota of difference.

Ummmmm - you're incorrect. Security cameras can and do have times stamps that cam be matched to people checking in to many many places. While private cameras can't look up plates, government ones can.

I truly don't give a shit what you appreciate or not Fred, this is just another instance of you getting your panties wadded up so you can rant and rave online about whatever the subject is that day. Nothing new, nothing exciting and absolutely nothing I am concerned in the least about. If you want to be ridiculous by all means do so, it's a popular pastime on this forum.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, just a lack of tolerance for truly stupid posts. I'm floored that you're not getting it - Fred however isn't remotely surprising :crackup:

There is NO difference between a picture at the gate taken by a guard and a picture at the gate taken by a camera remotely operated. Any insistance otherwise is just ridiculous. You have to sign in at the gate - be it electronic or paper - at every single track we run. You name is recorded. When you enter is recorded. They almost all have cameras so your image is recorded. That image is timestamped. The ONLY difference at PIRC is theirs in theory would be easier to search.

There is nothing special going on and it's not remotely facial recognition as your image isn't being used as an ID to allow you future entry.

16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

To be clear, I'm acknowledging it doesn't really matter to my degree of actual personal privacy. I understand their reasoning for doing so. As you said, most of that information and location is out there a million ways anyways. This originally started (IIRC) in 2020, so...ya know.

Sorry for kicking the nest here!

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You’re the boss!

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Nope...that Evelyn.

19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Evelyne. :)

Sabre699 likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not remotely, but interesting passive aggressive non response.