1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facial scan @ ID scan @ restaurant

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, May 9, 2023.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I forgot the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :D

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think she married me just to have another name ending in E.

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Oh please Sean. When someone doesn’t agree with you, you grab the stupid gear and the conversation is over. My point is that in these circumstances, I do not find another’s convenience a compelling reason to make assumptions about my view regarding privacy matters. Reasonable minds can differ, and not be called stupid. I’m out.

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You’ll do it and like it after ya’ get the black bag and the happy chip installed. Luckily we’ll mostly be old or dead by the time this comes to fruition.

Ignoring the visceral reaction I’d have to this, which would be to walk out as it’s too much BS for crappy food in a desert town and I barely drink alcohol anyway.

The fact that they associate your image with a database that contains your data and ID metadata is a distinct concern from them having your image on security cameras. The ID data is a much larger threat if stolen, but probably doesn’t have a large net effect on you compared to what’s already out there and has been lost by the government and giant corporations.

If this pissant restaurant tried to gather actual biometric data I’d be extremely angry, with what’s described I’d just walk away.

I was in the military so I’m 100% sure they already lost all of my data including DNA profile to the Chinese. I’m careful about putting more info out there and with whom, but overall most people already have lost control of their most sensitive data.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
    969 likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

A lot of wasted breath could have been saved if someone, anyone, could have simply said, "There's a Privacy Policy link at the bottom of their homepage".
    Here I was looking for waiver forms and the information they would request when it was in that link the whole time. Everything I was concerned about, and yup, it's a step too far for me...all of it, including the fact that even going to their site opens an unannounced violation of my privacy. Fuck them.

I guess I'm not the only one that was unaware of its existence (it's really not noticeable when your looking specifically for waivers) or maybe someone just wanted to be entertained in Beeb fashion. <smh>

Out.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I’m working on fooling those f@ckers and they’ll never know it’s me! First actual mooostache and sad ass goatee in my life! Different haircut and got ride of the bags under my eyes (Botox? None your business!).

I’m invisible! I’m free! I’m fat, have a really stupid mooostache and stupid! :D

969 likes this.
  7. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

At this point I'm not sure the resolution of common security cameras is sufficient to run any facial recognition on. When higher resolution and AI enhanced recognition becomes more advanced and prevalent, maybe.
    Consumers haven't shown sufficient energy behind privacy legislation to get any serious protections enacted. Younger generations mostly don't gaf.

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, there's always folks that say, "it's just a picture" "i have nothing to hide" and the like, but they vastly underestimate the power they are giving to the ones who are implementing the tech (and especially the ones who set policy - hope that's general enough) ... there's no term for it but i call it "policy creep". kind of little finger / whole hand, then arm principle. needs to be stopped once detected.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Can you be held civilly liable for breaking these cameras?

I don’t mean like taking a shot at the paparazzi. I mean like you’re so damn ugly the CCD commits suicide and the algorithm whimpers in the corner.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

i think i already posted it or not but there's an increasing market for "privacy shields" either in a physical way (mirrored glass) or electronically, via counter signals / light

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Also the market for glasses with IR LED emitters.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Says who

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Please point out where anything I have posted is incorrect much less stupid. There is no difference between an individual operating a camera or the camera operating via a remote control or time. Same place, same image captures, same time stamps. To insist it's not the same is just silly. It is not facial recognition for use in entry to anywhere so it is not the same as what you refused in your other post.

I never said you were stupid. I never even said your posts were stupid although as I said above I think you are wrong and a bit silly for thinking as you do. I said my response was due to stupid posts - and Freds posts about this one are indeed stupid. Is he stupid? I don't think so. Does he post stupid shit? Absolutely, most everyone does myself included.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thing is if it's a "private" club or something like a track where you have to sign in and that signature is in any manner timestamped - they have that information in the same manner with a security camera.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed for real facial rec, same for some guard grabbing a pic with an ipad.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Says the person who just like the tracks has to worry about being sued for everything they do... Same person who knows the track owners and management and knows they don't give the slightest fuck about tracking any of you fools :crackup:

17. fastfreddie

I stopped at a gas station today, made a coffee, went to the counter and asked for a pack of smokes. Lady asks for ID. I hold my DL out for her and she says she has to scan it. I say you can read it. She says she has to scan the back. I say you're not scanning the bar code on the back. She says she can't sell me the smokes without scanning my ID. I say I'm never doing business with you again and I don't want the coffee. I walked out.

Last time this happened, coincidently - also a Subway establishment, I walked. Went there again out of convenience and asked if the policy was still in effect. The cashier says, "I just have to enter your birthday manually". I bought the smokes.

Who here knows what info they gather when scanning a DL? Name, birthday, address, photo, DL#, signature, SSN(?)...at a minimum, no? GTFO.
    Same shit with PITT via the waiver. GFY
    I barely trust my bank to safeguard my privacy. If anyone thinks I'll let a gas station or a racetrack do the same has another think coming.

18. fastfreddie

It's not them that's the concern. It's their ability to safeguard that info from a breach of security.

tony 340 likes this.
  19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

And that ability is non-existent.

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

The point is that you should be given the opportunity to make an informed decision. As it has to do with going to an event at a racetrack, prior to making the journey. Otherwise, you are effectively making that decision under duress. I appreciate that surveillance or whatever you want to call it is ubiquitous; in my view that is the case because people in general allow it. I allow it on a case by case basis, as does @fastfreddie. And we are not naive or unwilling to bear the consequences. Simple as that.

I know you didn’t call me or Fred stupid. But over the years that is a gear you frequently grab, more or less making a distinction without a difference.