1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need the beeb to talk me out of a Jeep Wrangler?

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Sep 6, 2022.

1. At the risk of turning this into another gas vs diesel thread, I have to say that I agree 100%. Having owned both, I will never own another gas truck. Well, chances of me owning another truck are slim anyway. But if I do, it will be diesel. And it isn't even about the gas mileage, I don't give a shit about that. It is about the driving experience. You can't beat having a metric shitload of torque at 2000rpm.

Depending on the size/weight of the trailer, a gas truck might be able to pull it also. But it will be in a bind. It is aggravating as hell driving for hours with the truck screaming at 3500-5000rpm, downshifting multiple gears just to pass someone, etc.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Godzilla...with a blower. None of diesel's downsides.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Weird. I have fun in my Jeep doing pretty much what the OP describes, and 3.5 years into ownership would buy another in a heartbeat.

I’m obviously doing it wrong :beer:

Pixelator and ducnut like this.
  4. fastfreddie

I get it, but the OP's "occasional forest and logging roads" sound a lot more fun if you insert something like WRX into the equation.

5. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

It's a very individual taste kind of thing. I just got back from a week on my bike in the San Juans in Colorado. I'd LOVE to do more 'real' wheeling with a jeep in places like that, but to be honest the opportunities for anyting remotely resembling anything close to that in Wisconsin are really limited. We need to drive at least 2 hours north to get into any kind of environment where off-roading exists. The rest of the time, she can have a fun-for-her toy to pop the top and doors and cruise around. We've talked about some other type of topless vehicle, but a jeep seems to be more interesting at this point to her.

My primary street bike is a WR250. 90% of the time I have the 17" sumo wheels on and it's a pretty shitty street bike. Nothing you'd want to ride for 4 hours on the street but still kind of fun. The other times I throw on the off-road wheels, hit the trails and it's a blast. So I guess that parallels my feelings on the jeep. Yeah, it's never going to be a hard-core off-road wheeling machine doing what the purists think a jeep is for, but it can still be fun for someone who's willing to accept the limitations for what it is and how you intend to use it. And it can also be a gateway to open up an expanding interest in something.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I soooooo want one of those.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm somewhat hoping my V6 blows up so I can drop a 392 into the Gladiator.

They've made it basically plug and play for a swap.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The good thing is with the decent resale value you can buy one and see if she likes it. If it isn't her cup of tea you can flip it and not lose much at all. At least that was what it was like prior to the last couple of years shit show.

9. fastfreddie

For all my Jeep opinionation, I admit this is a valid argument...

As others have said, resale values are ridiculously biased in favor of the current owner. I could sell my '14 for the original purchase price. Your Tacoma has great resale as well...maybe put that towards a Gladiator?

acorn27 and ducnut like this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Broome, you ever figure out what you were getting? I lost track after you wussed out on the SQ. :D

11. Yep, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo GT.

I submitted the order way back in January. The dealer was upfront with me though (unlike both Audi dealers, which is why I shitcanned the RSQ8 orders). The Porsche dealer told me in the very beginning that his dealership was promised allocation for one Turbo GT this year, but he had no idea when the allocation would come. I was ok with that, at least he was honest from the beginning.

He finally got allocation in August. I went up there and went through the build sheet, and it was locked for production. They already started building it, and it will be completed on the 16th.

He said it is typically 10-21 days from completion till arrival at the dealership. So I hope to have it around the end of the month, or the first week of October.

And BTW, the Turbo GT is faster than that wus RSQ8, in every measureable way. :moon:

:D

Monsterdood, wsmc42 and Phl218 like this.
  12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, faster but more common. :D

either way, cool daddio

13. The Cayenne (in general) more common...for sure.

The Turbo GT model? Not a chance. :moon:

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hey, what do I know. When I drove the Q5 a week or two to my kid’s fall ball game the lot was full of them. Had to keep wacking the lock and unlock to figure out which of the 10 or so white ones was mine. :crackup:

Monsterdood likes this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

thats why you need a lifted 80s K5 blazer with a built LS swap....costs the same but different...so you can standout.

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That Aston is gawd-awful looking.

Gorilla George, Phl218 and Pixelator like this.
  18. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I have a 73 blazer full convertible in the works for a LS, also still slow working on my K30 crewcab long bed duramax swap in the garage time thread. Square bodies rule!

ChemGuy likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

looks like a citroën designer had tiramisu every day and went on the drawing board afterwards

20. This.

I considered one, but it is one of the ugliest looking vehicles I have seen in my life, of any kind, from any OEM. It looks like an alien catfish or some shit.

And I would bet a paycheck it can't perform like the Porsche, in any aspect. It has already proven to be slower in a straight line, let's see what kind of lap the 707 can put down at the Nurburgring.

Not to mention it is a good bit more expensive. I am getting the Turbo GT for only $212k, and that is built exactly like I want it. The alien catfish starts at $239k, which means it is likely to end up around $275k+ by the time you get it like you want it.

I do like that carwow dude's videos though. He is good. I have been subscribed to him for a while.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022