1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need the beeb to talk me out of a Jeep Wrangler?

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Yes! Some people think they can live with the downfalls of a Jeep because the positives outweigh it. Better get the benefits of a Jeep because the things you have to live with suck ass at times. Like good luck being on a work call even with soft-top on. If you keep the carpet in have fun with all the water getting nasty and smelling. When I drive the wife’s Q7 it’s odd at first because you can actually hear things clearly without sounding like you are in a wind tunnel. And gas mileage sucks ass. Check with your insurance company, mine a 4 door is classed almost like a station wagon and 2 door is in a higher risk category to the tune of almost 30% more. 2 doors ride way worse and are very limited space wise. Any off road trips will be crammed.
    Be aware of towing limitations. Yes they “can” tow a lot more than rated but like what happened to a guy here in town who got in a bad wreck with a boat on the back that was only 700lbs over the rated limited (only like 3300lbs or something like that, was not a big boat at all). He is getting hit from all angles from criminal to civil.

2. One thing about the Jeep aftermarket, cost is not proportional to quality (both design functionality and quality control). Like Synergy products, mid to upper range of cost but things like their ball joints suck. Teraflex and Dynatrac (I have them and are overkill for most) both make great products. Dynatrac being like pricey but are robust and just things like finish quality / attention to detail is amazing.

fastfreddie and ducnut like this.
  3. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Some really good info on this thread, on both sides of the coin for sure. The collective experience/opinion of this place is always great, and entertaining. I'm under no illusion of what a Jeep is 'not', but don't have any first hand experience of living with the thing.

We have the Odyssey for the grocery-getter/kid-hauler, the Tacoma for truck stuff, a really nice 2010 Accord for the mileage pounder/work-commuter, so technically I guess this would be a 4th vehicle. Not a daily driver but just something for fun. She's put up with my racing, dual-sporting, snowmobiling, etc for over 25 years, never had any toys of her own except for a PWC way back before we were married. We both turn 50 this year and hit our 25th anniversary in May. She's always thought Jeeps were cool, started talking about them again, so let's take a look at them for her. (plus it's another toy for me to play around with too...)

Still thinking a bit about the Gladiator route too - dump the Tacoma and keep the number of vehicles down. But maybe too much of a compromise. I'm sure we'll check out both.

Pixelator and Wingnut like this.
  4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid: I went with the TeraFlex ones when I redid my front end. When I replace parts I just use the best part available so I know I will not have to mess with it again. Overkill does not leave you stranded and keeps your Jeep from doing tankslappers. :D And on top of that if you keep your vehicles for a while you usually end up spending less in the long run because you are not repeatedly replacing sub standard parts.

ducnut and Pixelator like this.

5. upload_2022-9-9_15-36-20.jpeg

Phl218 likes this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

7. Nope. I can't compete with that. :crackup:

HPPT likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Gladiator won't be fun in much the same way taking a crewcab dually to the grocery store won't be fun...any further obstacles will only exacerbate the maneuvering limitations before you start fucking it up.
    As a 4th, for fun, vehicle? I'd definitely get the most base, least optioned, trim level...but still get the gearing/limited slip option, it's an expensive afterthought if you don't.
    One thing to consider, larger diameter tires will rip those plastic OEM fenders right off the first time the suspension articulates further than it would on any street obstacle. Two solutions are aftermarket fenders or a lift. Lifts are something you'll absolutely want to do correctly, making it more expensive than anticipated. High-clearance fenders are a one-n-done purchase.

acorn27 likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Damn...he folded without a fight. This needs to go in best of so no one ever forgets.

Phl218 and HPPT like this.
  10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

As a 4th vehicle for fun and playing around off road?
    Side by side.

Triple X likes this.
  11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

They are quite literally one of the worst driving vehicles on the road.
    You don't plan on actually off roading it except light trails that any 4x4 will handle fine.
    They are a Chrysler. No idea how people still buy their products.

Everything says no, don't buy one except the fact its not a practical/daily driver type of car.

12. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

With that 'logic' a Wrangler is also a Maserati :confused:

ducnut likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You’re doing it wrong, then.

Using 4 parking spaces just so you don’t “accidentally” door ding someone. :D

Gorilla George and Yzasserina like this.
  14. The length of my posts and frequency are inversely proportional to my motivation to do shit I should actually be doing. A yes when I build stuff I go a bit overboard but put thought into it. I got a new pressure washer, ran it stock 30 minutes. Modified the carb, modified the exhaust to make it flow better but be quieter and did a couple things to the pump itself. Anything can be made better if you have or have some common sense to find the knowledge and make the time for it.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Not sure what you're compromising with the Gladiator for the type of off roading you're looking to do. Also, it's significantly more capable than the Taco (across the board) for Truck Things™.

I'm too lazy (and now working on a nice buzz) to find the post where OP describes the level of offroading he's planning on, but I think it equated to "sometimes maybe driving on gravel roads". Not sure he needs all those upgrades you're talking about.

16. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Diesel!!! Went from a 2015 Rubicon JKU to a 21 Gladiator Diesel. In almost 15k miles it’s averaging 27-28 mpg including all the idle time/sitting in line to pick up the daughter from school, etc. That engine is so relaxed in the way it goes about it’s business. Makes max torque just off idle. I’ll NEVER buy another gas Jeep.

17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

According to Gas Buddy, here are current fuel prices at a nearby WM:

Regular: 2.97
    Diesel: 4.45

2.97/4.45 x 27.5 = 18.35 MPGge (gas equivalent)

Phl218 likes this.
  18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

My vehicle before my Gladiator was a VW dieselgate car. I’ll never own another diesel vehicle, and that one performed flawlessly over 100K+ miles.

19. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Which is about what a gas motor Gladiator gets. However, driving the two is like riding a 400 and then jumping on a 1000 (street ride). The 100o is going to lope along and be relaxed about it. Worth it to me. Others may have different tastes.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Then it's not "Jeep" fun that's being sought after.
    Any vehicle can be driven down a gravel road and "fun" that's anticipated with a Jeep will be outweighed in the long term by the regret of having purchased one for street duty. It's a shitty street vehicle whose only saving grace is that it's a great offroad platform to start with...if you use it as such. Otherwise, get a BRZ or a Miata or a GTI or a ZL1 or a Lotus...anything BUT a Jeep.
    Simply an opinion.

Gorilla George likes this.