"Daddy's money vs talent...." rant opinion

Discussion in 'General' started by Dunlop, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All these years and you still just don't get it. Chris' ride would NOT have gone to anyone else. It would flat out not exist if not for him. None of the others in line would have gotten a ride.

Selling seats to "rich kids" has never kept anyone truly talented from going further if they've already got their foot in the door. Selling seats has always happened in racing at all levels and always will. It's honestly no different than a racer having the money to put together their own team and hire their own wrenches and so on, they're just paying for it in one lump sum instead of the same expenses being spread out. Teams don't give a ride where they can afford to hire a good rider to someone looking to rent a ride, they merely add it on to the team.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, having been a party to the decision process, Chris won it the same way everyone else has, on his abilities and his presence on and off track. The paddock setup has never played into the Horizon award. The people deciding are/were very conscientious about doing the best they could to give it to the most deserving rider based on what they saw that weekend. Dustin and Chris both could have won it, but they don't give it to two people.

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

This is very true. Hailwood's dad made sure that he had the very best equipment right from the start but Mike had to pay his father back for the bikes from any money he won.

4. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

They actually have on several occassions, but IMO it was the only way to handle it as both riders were deserving.

5. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

For me, it's as simple as "haters gonna hate"

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They both won the Horizon award?

7. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

Anyone willing to fork out 500k to ride in AMA Superbike is crazy. i'd rather go to WSS or WSBK.

The way I look at it is it would make me even hungrier to beat Clark or anyone for that matter who's spending crazy money to "buy" a ride.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

For the naysayers, I suggest they look at Jake Lewis's setup this year. He and Garrett are fantastic kids and I sincerely hope they both get the opportunity to follow Spies's path.

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Longer than that. MUCH longer.

10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Yup. I'd rather see these guys on the grid then not, however they choose to get there.

Those two represent some serious game for the future of Americans in roadracing.

11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

3 times the Horizon Award has been given to 2 riders...once in MX and twice in DT (and one of them went on to be a roadracer as well).

12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

No I do get it, however I feel its a very bad sign that arguabley the top team in the country is unable to pay all of its riders (who are after all the most important part of the team if they are after good results). My objection to it has more to do with the sport becoming more of a expensive hobby for those well off than a legitimate proffesion for highly tallented riders. How many previous times has the top teams in roadracing had bought seats in the past?

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe that's how it should be.

14. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Active Member

Yosh had paid seats in the early 1980s and again in the late 1980s and it is a recurring trend in all sorts of racing whenever economic conditions deteriorate. A rider or driver who can't fund it himself or herself finds money, keeps some of it and brings the rest to a team, it's called business.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-change-of-approach-for-meira/

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Hell no.

16. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

I too didn't read all of the link or this thread even because it seems like the same 'ol.

Times are tough and people aren't just giving away rides... adapt or stay home. Everyone has options. I'm certainly not the 2012 DSB Champion & I don't have the money to buy a ride let alone a B bike, semi, crew, and all the those pesky tires. But, I can work hard and try to find new ways to get on the grid. Maybe I have to cut some corners... run some take-offs in practice.. be at a disadvantage.. but I'll be there.

Sure the current guy people comment on is Chris Clark, but many other riders have bought rides, and went on to bigger and better things. If any of you had the money and skill to finish in the top ten in AMA Superbike.... and had millions of dollars, you wouldn't?

From everything I've seen and brief chats, Chris seems like an incredibly nice guy that loves racing and is thankful that his family has the money to help him do it. You can't blame these guys for buying rides. If no one bought rides right now, the teams couldn't float other riders and the grids would shrink terribly.

And one last thing... if I get a personal sponsor that will give me $100,000 to rep their brand all year, is it considered "buying my ride" if I start my own team with money and go race? What if I give the money to another team and join their program? Since there's only a small group of guys actually getting paid to race, are all those privateers "buying their ride?" You bet. And I will be next season too.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why not? What would the reason is there for someone to make a living riding a bike around the race track when people sliding rocks on ice need to get a real job? (I'm assuming there is no professional curling :D)

I'm not saying the racers shouldn't take advantage of it when the money's there, but when the well dries up, I have hard time seeing how this is some kind of major social injustice.

18. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There have been bought seats on premier teams as long as I've been involved in racing and probably since the inception of pro roadracing in the US if not the world. Yes, it sucks not every rider can get a paid ride. But that is, always has been, and always will be reality.