"Daddy's money vs talent...." rant opinion

Discussion in 'General' started by Dunlop, Nov 22, 2011.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

The OP is a total dipshit. Can he match the results of Chris Clark, Chris Ulrich, or Elena Meyers? Didn't think so. It's sad that Tommy's without a ride, and it's ridiculous that you can be THAT good and not find a job, but guess what, life sucks. There are a lot of people in the exact same situation right now in this country.

Our sport is on fucking life support, if Chris Clark's money can keep a bike and crew on the grid that wouldn't otherwise be there, more power to him. He has the speed to be there.

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I think you missed my point ( not that I really care ). The point being that whatever support John gives or has given Chris is reasonable, whether it be money, exposure or simply a Dad telling his son "go get 'em tiger".

It's really none of my business how Chris supports his racing efforts, and I am pretty sure he (or his dad) could care less whether it has my blessing, which as I already stated, was not the point of my post.

3. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i thought about posting that karl abraham's dad paid for his motogp ride, but then again, it wasn't worth the effort

4. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Chris Ulrich does the best bike reviews, and his first hand AMA experience helps to set up the bike to see what it's actual strengths and weaknesses are. CU's experience on the grid is vital IMO to the future of the magazine and in many ways to the sport. Besides who can deny that CU isn't fast as hell. Hopefully his back heals and he can get back to proper training.

As has already been said...without Chris Clark, Yosh would have one less bike on the grid. Chris Clark is still a kid, so who knows how fast he can be. Time will tell.

The rest of that guys original post sounds too much like a guy with too much ego, and no real experience in marketing or the race industry. Of course if he had experience in the race industry he'd know that his phone was moments away from exploding in his hand.

5. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

So the bottom line is racing is a rich man's sport? No kidding...

I had never met a single person who was a road racer until I started doing track days in my 30's. No one I went to school with from Kindergarden through college ever turned a tire on a road race track. No one I ever met or worked with.

You have to wonder how special "the aliens" actually are, when 99.999999+% of people never get a chance to try. "The aliens" are the best out of the few thousand world-wide who had the opportunity (funding) to race.

If you look at sports like soccer, baseball, football, etc., pretty much every person in the world can afford or find a ball and start playing. The best of the best truly are special and 1 in a million, sometimes billions.

This has always bothered me about motorsports.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if you took 10 random kids at the age of 5, put them on dirt bikes every weekend, and then funded them through their teens for full race seasons in road racing. I bet the results would suprise. Look at the Hayden brothers...nature vs. nurture?

6. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I sell against some of the most professional salespeople in business.
    Sometimes I beat them.
    Screw anybody who does not think that hard work cant beat talent.

As far as having "advantages" like money, I am acutely aware that if I were born black, and in east Texas, my chances of being in the same position I am in now would be pretty slim. It is what it is.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

A lot of sports are limited to the pool of talent that had a good enough socioeconomic background to enable their early entry into competition. Cycling, golf, swimming (access to pools and training), and I'm sure many others. Motorsports are definitely the most extreme in this regard. I'm sure there's a poor Nigerian out there who could have been as fast as Casey if he'd been born in the right place and had the right opportunities, but that's just the way it goes in any endeavor.

Look at the dominance of Kenyans in endurance running, those guys start running when they're 3, 4 years old. It's not just genetics, it's cultural and they have economic motivation. Of course if you start doing anything that young and continually progress, you'll be pretty damned good at it.

9. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Those guys must just eat up Obama's class envy bullshit.

From what little I know of it CU earns his way. No doubt JU's name, etc. opened some doors early on, but that will only carry you so far.

10. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

Huhhh???

11. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I don't usually get involved with threads of this nature, but I simply could not resist this one.
    I promise you that being an Ulrich has made Chris' life in the AMA ten times harder than it has "opened doors". The guy has earned every bit of what he has accomplished and done it with a monkey on his back. A monkey that would have broken a lot of others.

12. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Riddle me this: aren't just about every racer who's doing good on the AMA (or any other high-level) grid have their family's dedication, time and fortunes behind them since very early age? So some kid had been groomed to be a pro racer since age 4 and Chris Clark decided he wants to do this at age 15 and now it's a shame he's paying for a ride? Sounds like pure unadulterated BS to me. There's big effort behind every one of them.

13. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Having gotten the chance to hang out with Chris Clark at Macau, he is a good kid and a great rider. As someone else said, Yosh isnt going to put some retard out there on their bikes even if that rider is paying for the ride.
    Some forget that Chris did win the AMA Horizon Award, same award won by quite a few other famous racers....
    As much as I would love to have tons of money to go racing I just dont and I am as jealous as anyone else of guys like that, but that said, money only gets you so far until natural talent must take over to get you any further...

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

CU has a lot against him to start. Who his dad is is probably the biggest one. I've known John for a long time and known of him even longer. The guy can be a hardass and people judge him from what they've heard without having met him. I like the guy.

CU also has a lot going for him as well. The Kid (he's not one but not thinking of him as the little kid with the pit board at the WERA endurance events is tough) is sharp, a heck of a nice guy when he needs to be and works his f@cking ass off. He's never been given a damn thing really, he's earned it and I repect him for that.

Anyways, I'm hoestly tired of all this shit. You can't police stupid but someone needs to call the university cops to come in and bear mace some of the idiots on that thread.

15. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

^^^this.:stupid:

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

JU's name closes more doors than it opens. He's pissed off a lot of people over the years in this industry with the magazine. CU has had to work even harder than someone who has no connections in the industry. I've seen him work his ass off since he was a kid to get where he is, nothing was handed to him including the opportunity to go to the track with his dad. He had to work to be able to get even that far.

All that post on the other board proves is that there are more truly stupid people out there than you can imagine.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed. I saw CC when he started as a Novice running with us in Vegas - and the difference between that kid doing something for fun and the serious racer he is now is night and day. Does he have some advantages? Sure, and hell yes I'm jealous! But so what? He's a great person and a great racer and you can't ask for anything more than that.

18. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

:bow:

19. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Think bikes are bad, go to a car club racing weekend or even worse a vintage car racing weekend. I see guys blowing 10's of thousand of dollars a weekend to "screw around". At Road America every year the whole upper paddock is semi's with $100k cars all over. So yes, really all racing is a rich mans sport. Some more than others. Most of us spend what we can to race and I'm sure a lot of people would love to have in their pocket the little bit we piss away. So you can't be mad when someone has the money to buy the ride. How do you think it starts out when you're younger, want to prove you can ride/drive and want a ride whether it be a bike or car?......parents money

20. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

What does it matter where the money comes from? Why do you care?

Check this... most of the top riders in the world not only get their rides paid for, they get paid to ride!! Bunch of mooches!! :wow:

So this dude has daddy's money, should he reject it and just not race? GMAFB.

join the jealous? club of American