"Daddy's money vs talent...." rant opinion

Discussion in 'General' started by Dunlop, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Some of those chick curlers (I guess they're called curlers :confused:) are hotties. My point is strictly selfish from a fan's point of view I guess. I just like to see the baddest muthafuggas ride the fastest bikes around a racetrack. 20 rich Adam Vellas on the grid would suck.

2. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Sorry, but every race team owner and manager that I have ever worked, dealt with, or spoken to was very clear that the rider, regardless of talent, was simply another consumable. Essential, but in the same way as tires or fuel. They are far from being the most important part of the team. Very far indeed.
    That's the reason why teams don't dry up and blow away when a rider leaves or gets hurt.
    And racing has pretty much always been an expensive hobby for those people who could afford it. Especially motorcycle racing in the US.

3. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

the Bently boys

Money and motorsports go together like ______

a brief but glorious chapter in British motor racing history, just four seasons in which the legend was made. The "Bentley Boys" lie at the heart of this legend. In WO's words, "The public liked to imagine them living in expensive Mayfair flats with several mistresses and, of course, several very fast Bentleys, drinking champagne in night clubs, playing the horses and the Stock Exchange, and beating furiously around racing tracks at the weekend. Of at least several of them this was not such an inaccurate picture". The Cricklewood Bentley fitted the mould perfectly.

http://www.motorsport.com/history/news/the-bentley-boys/

4. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

This is an awesome insight, quite, uh, mind-crisping. Thanks!

5. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Do you pay for it too? I know I don't, at least not enough.

6. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Success in professional motorcycle racing- as in most other vocations- is only partially determined by talent. Access to money and hard work are part of the equation as well. I think that Chris Ulrich's success is the result of those things coming together.

7. joec

joec brace yourself

see....i dont suck....i just dont have rich parents. money always makes up for a lack of ability. everytime....right??

hey dits.....that beak fellow is not going to be happy about you "stepping out" over on that other forum. you better watch yerself! :D

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'd rather see a guy with enough desire to race that he's willing to flip the bill, as apposed to guys tying up the seat that ride around and collect a check, and do just enough to keep the seat.

It's always disturbed me that teams continue to hire the same guys who have proven they have the skills (10 years ago) but arent willing to hang it out any longer.

Good luck CC!

9. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

If rides weren't for sale people would not buy them. Pretty simple really.

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Who might you be referring to?

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Well said. :up:

12. Putter

Pay for what?

13. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

when you think about it all rides are for sale, either through a personal check or one from a corporation in the form of sponsorship

someone always is paying

14. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

It's too bad more people don't get a real up close and personal look at roadracing in the world today. If you did you wouldn't question half the stuff you do especially when it comes to paying for rides and stinking seats up. If you guys really knew who road for free,paid for rides and got paid to ride you would be pretty suprised. Give these guys a break until you are good enough to fill the shoes.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

IMO all of us who can afford these toys and the time to go play with them are privileged. So I don't get this argument at all. Is it anger because some people are just more privileged? The rags to riches stories are the exception, not the rule.

16. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

What ever it takes to get more bikes on the grid, in my mind should be the priority..:D

17. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

It's really not buying a ride. It's paying for a team to support you so you can ride and not worry about the rest.

18. Putter

I think it's awesome for the guys that can do it and whatever it takes to get more bikes on the grid works for me. I just wish it didn't have to be that way. It sucks to see Tommy or Hacker not riding because the money isn't there (or not enough money or whatever).

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

+100,000 all Chris Clark's father did is fund his racing program. That is no different them me building pitbikes and paying for my kids to race at the kart track. So should my kids not get to ride the bikes that I am providing them? All Chris' dad did was hire the Makita team to prepare a bike for him. If memory serves me right Mr. John Ulrich offers the same service. For the right money he will supply all you need to hit the track. Anyone that is bitching and crying should just call Hayden up and put him on a bike. That or just shut the hell up and go work on their bike.

20. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I'll also be the bad guy here and say that maybe hacker and hayden are not worth the money they are asking for. If they were then someone ( sponsor, owner, or combo of both) would step up. I really don't see the problem with having to come to the table money be it from your pocket or a sponsor. Part of the business of racing is the perceived value of the team as a whole. If you have a great team but a total douche of a rider then the team value will be lower in potential sponsors eyes. I think to many people that don't race or have not been in the game forget that racing at the top levels is a business. A team has to turn a profit, or at least break even to survive. Plane and simple.