1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cordless Powertool Systems....Your Favorites ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gunslinger 67, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Gunslinger 67

Gunslinger 67 Cynical 80's Derelict

Yeah , I know , the time to upgrade is looong overdue for me.

Been using Craftsman 19v NiCad drill / drivers for a decade-plus now ( three different rounds of battery replacements ) and that technology has been long in the tooth for some time .

So what are your preferences for Lithium systems ? Im wanting to start with a 1/4 and 3/8 impact-drivers for general , home-shop bike building /maintenance / repair . Mostly for case covers and body panels , so prob start with the 1/4" and a couple batts and charger ......thoughts ? Thanks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

20v DeWalt is what I've got along with an adapter to the older 18v tools. So far love it.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Makita has what you need.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've been a Makita guy since the mid-80's, but the last few items I bought didn't seem to be built like the old ones. I was doing a project last year and the electrician had a brand new Milwaukee set. Now I've always thought Milwaukee made the best powered saw in the business, but I never gave their powerless stuff much notice. Their cordless gear is the shit. I was drilling 3" screws into 2X's like butter and it lasted all day. I bought the Milwaukee kit that week. Plus their batteries hold a charge forever.

tropicoz and terminus est like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I had the Milwaukee stiff and loved it before it walked away. Used it mainly for racing, so not everyday, purchased at Home depot, so probably consumer level.

I also bought the upgraded 3/8 or 1/2 impact and that thing could remove clutch basket center nuts, rear wheels and counter shaft nuts with no problem.

terminus est and vdub 2.0 like this.
  6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

DeWalt here as well....

7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

All of the the Dewalt 20V stuff is pretty good, batteries last and last and charge pretty quick (under 30 mins). I probably use the 1/4 hex driver more than anything. The 1/2" HD impact is totally badass and allows easy removal of CS sprocket nuts. The hammer drill can plow thru concrete block easily, have not tried aggregated concrete yet, but I suspect that is for a job for corded machines. Also have the radio/charger and a hand held vacuum that comes in real handy. No complaints on performance from any of it, do wish the hex driver had a bit holder and adjustable torque. You'll be amazed at how much better the Lithium batteries are over the NiCAD crap.

8. Gunslinger 67

Yeah , I finally used some Hitachi lithium stuff a couple years ago for a week on a job and was really impressed at the additional torque .
    As I watch YT vids with folks working on bikes , many seem to be using the 1/4 for stripping the panels and covers off . . . . I said to myself "okay...time to step into the 21st century , dumbass''

9. Gunslinger 67

Will these 1/2" impacts REALLY bust auto-lt truck lug nutz off ? It'd be nice to not have to fire the compressor up and drag air lines outside just to swap a tire on my truck . . .

10. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

The bigger stuff like snap-on or mac will break loose the nuts on the 22.5 RV wheels. Doesn't just zip them off, takes a little time, but gets them off none the less. Haven't tried with some of the other brands but I'm curious.

11. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

Milwaukee m18 or m12 you can't go wrong, tons of tools all the battaries are interchangeable, super powerful with long life. I love all of mine

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Porter Cable
    Milwaukee (Solely because of their racing involvement.)

13. ecolyer325

ecolyer325 Active Member

I've had a Makita 1/4" impact driver for almost 10 years. It gets used and abused everyday, I'm a mechanic, and I had to replace 1 battery in that time frame.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

14. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Just went through the same thing and went with Milwaukee. I prefer the Fuel brushless line where possible. So far I have a big daddy 1/2 impact, finish nailer, drill, and compact blower. Very happy so far.

vdub 2.0 likes this.
  15. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I went from Makita, to Dewalt, and then Milwaukee. The Makita stuff was underpowered, and DeWalt kept breaking. The Milwaukee stuff has been nothing but flawless. I have the M12 screwdriver, lantern, wrench, M12 Fuel impact driver, drill, M18 fuel impact wrench, hammer drill, impact driver, and 7 1/4" circular saw. The batteries last forever and the power is more than I need. If I ever need it, the warranties are also better than most.

If you have questions about anything I've named, I'll do my best to answer them.

DrA5 likes this.
  16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Same here. Bought some PC stuff two years ago and did a complete remodel to my house with them. I figured if they held up through the redo I got my money's worth. I brutalized the shit. Treated them like red headed step kids. Dropped the shit off roofs, left them out in the rain, and just basically beat the shit out of them.
    Still going strong today. I was so impressed last week I went and bought a finish nailer. Works great.

Oh, and the sawzall cuts through ankle bones very well. Lol

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Got Dewalt stuff too. Also good.

18. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I like Ridgid. I can use the same batteries on my drills, impact, sander, grinder, vacuum, etc. Spring for at least one or two 5.0 ah batteries.

19. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I make my living with these types of tools, and the Milwaukee Fuel brushless models have no rival.

Dewalt and Bosch make very good tools, and I have several of each of those brands. The latest Milwaukee tools kick their ass though.

tropicoz and terminus est like this.
  20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Milwaukee.