1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chopping wood for Fire Pit/Fire Place

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, May 5, 2021.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Nonsense. It's an overhead swing. You'll appreciate the added head speed the extra 8" develops - makes it seemingly effortless. Keeps the sharp part farther from your toes, too.

BigBird likes this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm waiting until the 15th to transplant my tomatoes/cukes (I'm a couple hours north of you).

3. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I used to heat with wood also, but my wife struggled with keeping the fire maintained so we got a pellet stove. Best thing I've ever purchased.

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

That type of advice is entirely dependent on location. A woodpile 6 feet from a house can be a very very bad idea in some circumstances. I'll leave it to the masses to figure out where.

5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Stand on a stump when using . :D

6. fastfreddie

Agreed, but we're not talking about storing a winter's worth stack of fuel for curing in some wilderness. We'd be back to sheds and 25ton splitters...in northern suburban New Jersey? ;)

BigBird likes this.
  7. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I have heard they are great and I would get one too if I didn't have some land and a tractor with a winch to get the wood with. If the wood wasn't "free" I would go pellet, I know the free wood requires a decent amount of labor. ;)

AC1108 likes this.
  8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I was concerned about late season frost. I just couldn’t wait any longer. I’m craving some home grown ‘matoes.

9. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

And it's quite enjoyable when you see the pile of wood!

BigBird likes this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Counterintuitively, it's better to wait a little longer before putting them out then to try and put them out a bit early. The shock of being transplanted too soon is the worst thing that can happen.

Patience, kemosabe.

Attached Files:

BigBird and speedluvn like this.
  11. fastfreddie

Nice stack, but that's barely enough to kindle a fire pit. :D

12. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

That's what she said.

AC1108 likes this.
  13. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

In the event you have a lot of odd-shaped pieces that don’t stack well, you can make a round wood pile. The perimeter is a single layer and you just throw the oddities in the middle.

E7C098F0-0A61-4580-A4C7-BD8AA3F90F17.jpeg

Sabre699, BigBird and SuddenBraking like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

update...
    i bought the 36" fiskars splitting axe
    and then the neighbor had a 99' Birch tree with a 7' wide trunk cut down. I took some of the wood and tried to use the axe splitter. Well it bounced off it like I was trying to hit rubber.

Researched and saw there's a lot of water content and would have to wait for it to dry. Then I was like fuh-get 'bout it.

Ordered a Wen Electric 6.5 Ton log splitter that has been pretty great. Split almost all of the pieces I tried and there was some large trunk pieces that I thought wouldn't work and it split them.

15. speedluvn

Please promptly remove and destroy your man can!

I just learned last season that splitting drier, wood is much easier than freshly, or just cut timber.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

All depends on the wood. I have some dry Elm that you can have a go at anytime you want...... It's easier to split with the chainsaw. Damn stuff grows in a spiral.

renegade17 likes this.
  17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Yes and no...coniferous splits better seasoned and deciduous when it's green.

BigBird likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Did we actually learn something on the Beeb today...

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. speedluvn

Com'n Jeremiah Johnson, in easy to digest terms? :rolleyes: I asking for the mouff-breathers that frequent this place. ;)

Sabre699 likes this.
  20. speedluvn

Trying too but they started using big words!

Sabre699 likes this.