1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat theft question

Discussion in 'General' started by Norton 357, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Meanwhile...back in the real world. :D

2. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

What about building some sort of heavy rectangular box? Almost like a concrete slab but elevated 3-6" narrow enough (clear wheelbase) to park on top of it. This will take their access away and you won't need to fab something that any sawzall can get through...

I like the idea of razor wire underneath as well but ads risk when parking... Fucked up thing to have to fix...

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Make them all leak a little fuel.

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Anybody seen Serpy ?? Was he under the trucks ??

[​IMG]

wheelz96 likes this.
  5. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

If your running around shooting people , the prudent thing to do is demand Cash .. so as not to leave a paper trail for prosecutors... just saying ! :D

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Not random people.........just thieves, well rapists and their ilk too, but the topic here is thieves.And all I’m asking is honest pay for an honest days work:D

motoracer1100 likes this.
  7. fireman1028

fireman1028 Active Member

I had a buddy who did that to his GTS headlight covers back in the 90's. He worked at the mall and someone kept stealing his covers.

They were easy to steal. All you had to do, was put your hands under them and pull hard. He finally got smart and glued razors to the underside.
    He came out to his car to find it covered in bloody handprints and a trail of blood going away from the car.
    Never had a problem after that...

Mike Lafayette, Tifosi, 5axis and 3 others like this.
  8. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

This is what I am going with for the vans. Had everything on hand already and plan to fill the center with crusher run gravel and compact. Also driving rebar through the curb stops. There is about 3" clearance to the frame rail and the cat/shield is 5+ inches. They can still get it with a jack but it will take longer and when the vans are off property there is no protection. At least they can't come through at night and just slide under and grab them.

Ordered a plate for the Prius and will keep it inside as much as possible.
    We are also installing more cameras and I'm putting cat cages on the large trucks that can't be protected any other way.

What a pain in the ass all this is!!

Cat security 2.jpg Cat security 1.1.jpg Cat security 1.0.jpg Cat security 2.jpg Cat security 1.1.jpg Cat security 1.0.jpg

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

That should do the job.

10. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

That's perfect. It will definitely make things much more difficult and I don't think they will have 30" sawzall blades handy :)

11. Norton 357

That's the idea, just make it a pain in the ass for them so maybe they will go somewhere else. Even if they manage to cut the cat loose there isn't enough room to get it out from under the van without a jack.

On the larger Nissan vans the front suspension is about 2" lower than the frame rails so I'm going to dig out impressions where the front wheels sit. That way when the wheels drop down the frame rails will be 3" from the concrete.

Now I have to train the drivers to park centered in their spaces, that's what the orange line is for.

L8RSK8R and Ducti89 like this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Right becasue the solution to all problems should be to either spend money replacing a cat or spend money building things to keep the cat from being stolen. Wouldn't making it legal to shoot anyone caught in the process or caught reselling them be the more effective a cheaper solution?

Of course this is the US and you can't miss the opportunity to create a new industry around the prevention of theft of exspensive, mandated car parts.

Norton 357 likes this.
  13. Norton 357

There's the rub for me. The auto manufacturers could design the exhaust so the cat was not so vulnerable or the laws could (should) be changed to make it a more serious crime to be caught in possession of undocumented cats.

Me, I just want to walk up on a perp under a car with a floor jack cutting off a cat. "Oops, I didn't know that would make the jack fall"

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I remember about 15 years ago when the battery powered Dewalt sawzalls came out....they hit our local Dodge Ram dealer and cleaned house one night.

Hit like 50 brand fucking new trucks....the 4x4 models mostly with plenty of room to work under them. My buddy in sales said it really hurt them for weeks with inventory.

15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Great job, would be a shame if somehow a window got broke in between the concrete...:oops:

wheelz96 likes this.
  16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No harm in greasing up those curb stops

Norton 357 and kangasj like this.
  17. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

fucking tree huggers, little rumble never hurt anyone

18. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

At this point sharks with laser beams attached to their heads seems like a good option

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"Three cats and you're out"?...

But on a more pertinent note, those catalytic converter get very hot in operation, you can't enclose them that much....

Norton 357 likes this.
  20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Lol, 2 pumps on a floor jack and cat be gone.