1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat theft question

Discussion in 'General' started by Norton 357, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Profoundly ignorant question. Why are they stealing that specific part? Why not take the whole thing? Is this like scavenging for copper or whatever?

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Platinum and other precious metals contained within.

R1M370 and Yzasserina like this.
  3. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

I've wondered the same thing. I also noted on a recent BBC news story, that this is a huge problem in the UK. Seems like a lot of work.

Educate me. What's in a cat that is worth the hassle of stealing it?

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Pixie dust and unicorn tears.

Dsc998 and R1M370 like this.
  5. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

Several precious metals in them and the thieves just slide under with a cordless saw and have it off in a couple of minutes. Not sure what they sell for at a scrap yard but it think it can be several hundred dollars for some. It cost several thousand to replace them on certain cars and trucks.

It used to be illegal for scrap yards to buy them from individuals but I guess there are always buyers when there is a profit to be made.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    pefrey and Thistle like this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Rhodium is $18,000/ounce :eek:

Norton 357 likes this.
  8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Scrap yards are supposed to identify those scrapping cats with government issued IDs.

Norton 357 likes this.
  9. Venom51

Well clearly the fines for not doing so are not outpacing the precious metals value.

10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

11. Venom51

See my remarks about enough recyclers not being fined heavily enough or put out of business all together. They are the market.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

For a bit some of the cat thieves were going for Honders to sell to the R typers to replace the cat they cut out or punched in order to sell the car (or get it through emissions and safety inspection).

They also steal the airbag and sometimes entire body panels right from your drive way while you sleep.

Now it's more the metals.

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yes, I did. But they are not the final market. Where are these elements ultimately landing? To be a part of what? Someplace valuable, presumably. Curiosity on my part, and agree with you to hammer on the facilitator.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think there are a number of industries where they can land, including making new catalytic converters.

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

thief sells to scrapyard who sells to a company with the equipment to extract the precious metals. the catalytic convertor falls under most vehicle parts in some states were the seller or buyer doesn't have to provide proof of ownership or an ID.

16. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I think what is going on is, there are "legit" so called business that are buying these for whatever. So then you get Johnny Crack head that says,"hey man I got some cars I scraped and took cats off you want these?" Then legit business buy it cash on the cheap and then turns it into scape the "legal" way. Or sells it to a place that will reman it.

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I suppose there are, but I would expect they would be picky about where the elements of the composition of their product comes from, and I'm hoping junkyard is not on the list...

18. Venom51

Nope...they only care about availability and cost.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Some businesses can be pretty flexible on ethics when they can get a good saving on raw materials.

Norton 357 and L8RSK8R like this.
  20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Well that's what I was curious about. Who is at the top of the food chain. What are they selling, what are their names. Presumably being associated with having a cat hacked out of Grandma's car in her driveway is not a good look.

Norton 357 likes this.