1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bombshell AMA/Dorna announcement

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It has never taken an OEM yet to make it happen. What it takes is simple - parents willing to spend the money and travel with their kids. If the grids are small so be it. Run F2, run HWT. There is nothing wrong with the Moriwaki as a training tool or an RS125. That is what those stars everyone looks at began on in large part - and they didn't have huge grids in those classes. They however did go racing, everywhere they could. If there was no one else on track they worked on laptimes.

the exact same system that got Nicky and Ben and Colin and Kocinksi and all of them to the world level is still there. WERA is still there. Like it or hate it AMA is still there. The issue isn't some magical stepping stone setup although I personally have always thought it would help, the issue is people wanting it enough to quit whining and hit the road. A lot of luck and a lot of work and you'll be racing at the world level.

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Been out of town for a while... any news yet?

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No rain today. It was quite pleasant.

4. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

ptob a good move, as we either fuk sheep or Kangaroos

5. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

How do you get away with saying such things like this and not get a slagging for it?

O that;s right, you are the BOSS on here and I know nothing- silly me:wow:

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Yeah but you guys at least kiss them afterwards

7. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

fair is fair man

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

:bow:

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Well said....

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Well said indeed.

11. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I get slagged too.

13. racing+life

racing+life Well-Known Member

100% correct. This is why AMA needs to be fixed. The farm system is there, but there is nothing to aspire to. 12 bikes in AMA superbike and no money in the sport has those parents not willing to make that investment because if they do there is no end game. There is no dangling carrot, nothing.

14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

So... still no announcement. So much for the interview at Indy being insightful. Pfft...

15. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

cool, so does that mean I dont talk that much shit, or does it mean we are both full of it

16. I get it, I really do. I wish it was doable here. I really do. The logistics of running a national season here and the travel costs are considerable. The USA is a big place with most tracks east or west.. Even if all the youth racers combined from all clubs make every round of a national series how many would be on the grid, ten or twelve? If such series could be sustained for at least three years it could grow.. maybe it could be a real feeder to moto-3. I truly hope so. In the UK most tracks are only two to four hours apart.. Grids of 30 plus. Crazy spectator count, all Euro TV coverage. Heavy subsidizing by sponsors.. A whole seasons "race fees" are about 3500.00 US. I will spend at least that much in three east-west trips in fuel alone. If your lucky enough to be a team rider it gets very good. There are two kids I know of now who have excelled in this series, podium regulars. It didn't start out that way for them. They learned and fought. Oh, and they are the only two Americans there in their classes. This is the feeder class to the BSB... Motostar Moto3 and 125gp. If a kid is 13 or 14 now you can't get better pro experience for the money. It isn't cheap but by my calculator once there with modest living quarters arrangements and cheapo transport its cheaper than crossing the USA 4 to 6 times.The clock is ticking fast for the goal oriented kids in this age group now. Some are already moving on to SV's and 600's. I would much rather see the current crop of 13 and 14 year old racers stay in it into their 16th and 17th birthdays honing their race craft on GP chassis machines. What's the hurry? Because here there is only one path and it doesn't groom very many world class riders. If we asked any current or recent past WSB or GP racer from the US why they went to Europe, they might say they had to and wished they did it sooner. IMHO.

Something needs to click in the USA now. Right now. I do think WERA Pro is the best news in along time. For the current crop of kids on 125's and 250 GP bikes time is up soon, for the kids on kart tracks moving up we may be ready for them if all goes well. But again America is a big place.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

How about a hint? What bikes do you think might have a legitimate shot at a successful spec class?
    I personally am glad to be done with F3. My kid thinks the SV is a lot more fun to ride. Who can argue with that? My wallet is already happier. Seat time develops racers. IMO, what bike they are on is not that important.

18. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Amen, brother!

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The latter of course :D

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Spec class will be what the OEM sponsoring it thinks is best so no real way to tell. We've done them with Interceptors, F2's, SecaII's and the Suzuki Cup finals had the GSXR's and TL/SV's.

ESS is effectively a spec class for the Ninja250.

For someone like Honda I could see the 300 or 500, for Kawi the Ninja 300 and so on. Just depends on how they feel and what they'd like to promote.