1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big gun, little hands

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by jimraynor21, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Most will have a list to choose from. Generally it's because they have to have somebody certified on them to be an instructor.

2. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Yeah - I made the assumption you couldn't carry your duty weapon when off-duty... liability and all that.

I wonder why you weren't allowed to exceed it? Have to do with qualifications?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Fuck me.

Blart *and* Hee-Haw's used car lot both back me up?

Is it too late to change my answer? :D

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

If you can't qualify with a 44 Automag from 25 yards you shouldn't be a LEO, you should be making sammiches.

That goes for the women too.

5. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

All the little girls have to do is shout, "Freeze, scum bag! I'll blow you!"

No need to shoot:Poke:
    :D

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The bigger issue is almost everything is being reduced to the least common denominator. Eventually there can be no standards, no expectations because it is guaranteed that someone, somewhere will be negatively affected by it. The result is a watered down society where nothing works anywhere near it capability...OR...a tremendous over-burden of non-functioning personnel are carried in order to get enough capable people to perform the tasks.

I have already seen this at work. Female construction electricians who can't perform the work yet have the job. They are unsafe and are never assigned critical work for fear of killing someone. They are a protected class and so their jobs are safe.....

7. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

And that is what "the majority" according to this last SH@# Storm election wanted - "Bunch of Dem. Lib. Puss. Soc. Bastardos!!!

8. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

It's the UK. There are probably only 8 or 9 handguns left total in the whole country for them to chose from.

"Sorry luv, we don't seem to have any other guns for you to use. We're all out at the moment."

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Say she wants to be an engine builder but can't hold the torque wrench. Should she be allowed to use a small crescent wrench?

I mean they both will get the job done and they're both wrenches...

10. pickled egg

FTFY

11. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I am not sure what to think here. I bet if it was a man in the article, this wouldn't be a blip on anyone's radar.

I am a fire fighter, I pass the same agility test everyone else does - no exceptions.

In a fire, command asks me to go tear down a wall to expose a fire - I grab a 60" drywall hook because the 90" is too awkward for me to manage. I expose the seat of fire in under a minute.

I should just fucking quit because I couldn't do it with the 90" drywall hook.

Ridiculous.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Like ole steeltoe and that Japanese figure skater chick.
    Big gun, Little hands.

Aw yeah. :cool:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sure it would, they'd be making fun of the girly man with the tiny hands.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If it were a man they probably would not pass the qualification because they could not use the tools required of them for the job. The only difference is if a guy did not get a job because he was unqualified there would not be all of the manufactured outrage. If you read the article it was not just the gun that was wrong. The barriers were too high, the gun was too big and the protective gear didnt fit. How many special considerations should the female officers have gotten?

And no, you should not quit because you can not use the longer drywall hook. Alot of the guys are probably more comfortable with the 5' hook too.If you pass the same qualification standard as the guys and can get the job done with the tools provided you belong. That is how it should be.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Vise grips are locking pliers, not wrenches.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Isn't a torque wrench essentially a ratchet and not really a wrench?

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not all torque wrenches ratchet.

18. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

The longer hook is a tool provided, I am not comfortable using it. I am also provided PPE that is tailored to my size. Ill fitting gear will not protect me.

I think all officers should have their guns and their gear tailored to fit their specific needs. It keeps everyone safer. The barriers are different, I have no sympathy there.

19. pickled egg

Woof.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hence essentially being used in my question ;) Even the non ratcheting still use sockets - so not wrenches?