1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA Sportster spec class

Discussion in 'General' started by lonewrench, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

So I've done some asking around on this with some of the HD dealers and HD peeps that I know through my job. Most dealers that sponsor racing have or had bikes (v-rods) wrapped up in the drag scene and the dealers do not want to just give a bike away for the road race series. Given the economy the dealers are more than willing to sell you a bike, but not give a bike away. No word of a discount has been mentioned. If anything, from what I've seen on my end it would take an outside sponsor to get dealers interested. And with Harley's, I think the possibility of that is better than with a Japanese bike.

You can pick up a used bike on ebay for over 5k. Maybe a salvage bike is out there.
    Then the V&H kit is $3500.
    Dyno time for about $150.
    The suspension mods would be under 1k.
    The pre-entry fees are $150 per race (I'm assuming there's only one race per weekend)
    Your license is $450
    The spec tires are what? $450 a set? You could start the series with 1 set and then use those as scrubs for the 2nd weekend and have a new set for the rest of the series.
    Then the race gas, which would be what, $40 a weekend?
    Then food, travel and gas to and from the events... maybe $200 a weekend for all that.

I guess you could run the whole series for what, 15k with a used bike or a heavily discounted new unit.

2. As much as i HATE to say it :D, i agree with Davie.

About 3 out of every 5 guys i work with owns a Harley and i am yet to talk to ONE of them that gives a shit about racing...even if it is Harleys being raced.

Hell, i have only talked to 2 of them that even knew there were Harleys that raced...ever.

From what i have seen, the people who will follow Harleys racing aren't "Harley people"...they are "race people". Those same fans would follow it if Buells or Yamaha's or Triumphs were out there doing it.

3. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

From back in the day..

[​IMG]

4. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

FWIW... I put together a package to give potential sponsors a cost estimate. My estimate was based on 2 people (1 racer, 1 crew) travelling to the 5 races. This includes 1 bike, no spares, the V&H kit, gas to get there, lodging, food, race gas, tires, AMA membership & race license, the whole kit and ka-bang... 23 large (ie; $23,000).

I know asking for a race sponsor on a racer forum is akin to asking a fellow person in the unemployment line for money, but if anyone knows anyone.... :D :beer:

5. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

$15k to run in an AMA series...:crackup: you have missed a ton in your "budget" your about 1/3 of the way there.

Who the hell is going to drive from say Georgia to Road America with one bike (powered by a push-rod motor)?? your an idiot if you do.

the 1200 takes work...(and lots of it) after every race weekend to keep it running correctly and that's if it doesn't gernade in the race. They eat cylinders at race temperatures and the transmission far from being up to the task of full throttle sifts and back shifts. Plan on shift drums and cylinders after every round or 2

6. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Im out of the loop with this issue, will they race these this season?

7. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

8. Silo Pete

To me, that figure sounds about right for a 5 race series. But hey, I've never run anything at the AMA level so I could be off target.

9. Silo Pete

10. Big Deezul

for an r6 or a gsxr you would probably be right...the hd is a different animal thats all:up:

11. Silo Pete

No doubt. One would think the parts for an HD are cheaper than a Japanese bike. Rumor has it they are announcing more contingency for the class, and I'm wondering about TV time.

12. Big Deezul

I think the class will be amazing to watch with enough riders...look at how tight the racing is in Moto2 with it being a spec series.

13. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I just sold all my H-D stock. Which either means that they're gonna auger in because The Wrong Bike Died, or, that H-D stock is poised for a record run!

14. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Considering I still own HD stock, I'm really hoping it's the latter.

-steve

15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I think you made the right choice.

16. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

that how you win a championship , never give up

17. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

i saw that too , awesome

18. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Z Man

At Mid Ohio, right at the end of Madness, just before the right hand drop away. Musta been around '92 or so. The bike actually ended up on the tire wall and he had to drag it down offa there. It was bent to shit and fired right up. Truly unbeievable...

19. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Im hoping that the "new" motor ( this motor was heavly revised a few years ago , making full use of Buell stuff - but , that another rant ) will prove to be alot more solid when compared to the old 883 engines - but ,only time will tell ! Just in case , Ive got a spare set of cyclinder , pistons and rings on thier way just in case we should need them - :crackup:

Getting close , V and H shipped kits out friday, so, we should have ours tomorrow - :beer: