1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA Sportster spec class

Discussion in 'General' started by lonewrench, Sep 19, 2009.

1. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

So, Rodger and the boys feel this is the shot the AMA series needs in the arm? A 1200cc Sportster class? What the fuck are they thinking?
    Hmm,nobody and I mean nobody any good ever rode those shit boxes.Where do these guys get off thinking this will help us out? Who would be ballsy enough to ride such a bike? Maybe, AAron Yates,Ben Bostrom,Eric Bostrom,Jake Zemke,Matt Wait,Gator Wait,Tripp Nobles,Shawn Higbee to name a few. Thats where they all started but then again those guys suck, Ya right!:clap:.
    I can remember showing up to Daytona for bike week in March back then thinking what a joke, but when Hog Heaven fans started showing up and the races were really good to watch a lot of people took notice.In all it was a great idea.I know its not a proper race bike but in the end the theory does hold water and when the series ran we had a bunch of Harley Davidson shops/owners spending money on racing in the AMA/CCS. I personally think its a good idea, while I wont be participating in the class,(as of right now)I would be in favor of it as I do feel more people will come to the races.(AKA the Harley Group) They showed up then,why not again?
    And another thing,do you guys really think the reason Honda pulled out was because of the DMG? Get real.:beer:

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

DMG didn't help.

Where did you read about the sportster class?

3. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Interesting, thanks.

5. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Back in the 90's there was such a class.
    Aaron Yates got his break there.

6. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

Dave I agree that the DMG is going down a different path than the old AMA and to some extent may revisit old ways but, I firmly belive if the Superbike package was like it was even a year ago the paddock would still unfortunately be looking the way it is.Dont get me wrong,Jersey was off the Fucking chain. I just know that without budget it dosent matter what kind of racing it is they just wont go.You know the deal man,we just aint selling bikes right now unfortunately.

7. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

The 250 idea seams intresting

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I have been visting the Daytonal 200 since 93/94, back when, the 883 race was the only time we left the stands. Bathroom/lunch break!:D

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

All the shitty rumors flying around right now (one being confirmed that Honda is gone) has taken most, if not all of the love I had for the series. With all the classes it's looking less like "the premier racing series in the US" and more like a pro/ am weekend. All these classes will get entry fees into the pockets of DMG in the short term but what about the long term?

They own the series, can do what they want and can slap each other on the back while continuing to tell each other how brilliant they are.

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

We all due respect, you can sell anytype of two wheel racing in EU.

This is an attempt ( and I won't fault DMG) to get people in the stands.

In my opinion, getting people in the stands has to start with the attitude of the General Public. It won't be easy.

At some of the safer tracks, I think DMG should consider putting up a few MC races as exhibition. Just a thought.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Daytona more than likely drew such a large crowd for that race......because it was during Bike Week? :confused:

Good luck with that everywhere else.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The rise of WERA!:D

15. cspencer123

cspencer123 250R Must pedal faster

From what I read its only open to 12-15 yr. olds, seems a better idea would be to go with expirience if you are trying to get new riders into the sport.

250's are a great, inexpensive class to learn in, and much safer to boot.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Where are all these 12 ~ 15 year old kids going to learn their racecraft before jumping into this series? I think it would be a huge mistake for these kids to do it but no one cares what I think. lol!

17. Strick

Strick Good to be king

The thing that kinda bugs me about the idea of catering to HD is what have they done to support the AMA? They have not put the effort and dollars that the other 4 have but now the DMG is quick to make a series all about them. To me that is the attitude that cost them OEM support and is killing the series.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You can sell Americans a snuggy and a slapchop but not motorcycle racing? Methinks someone is doing it wrong. If that XR1200 series costs $20g to run a bike that is a good thing for racers who want to do AMA.

I'm dreading the crowd it would bring though.:(

PS: Love em or hate em HD has got marketing motorcycles down to a science. The HD connection is obvious with DMG based in Daytona near the biggest dealership in the world. If they can get bikers visiting Daytona at the track to go home and attend a race at their home track that's a success.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A spec class will bring in cash to the sanctioning body. They didn't get sponsorship for the series or the classes compared to the years prior so they need to look at other revenue streams.

20. random hero

random hero Banned

When will DMG stopped gargling Buell/Harley's balls..... wow, 2010 and we're racing 1200cc harleys. We're really going to show wsbk something:rolleyes: