1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. I can't speak for Jim, but my "no suing" comment was referring to things like trying to sue another rider because he cut you off and you crashed, or trying to sue another rider because he botched the launch and you ran into the back of him, or trying to sue the crew chief because a bolt was left loose and you crashed. Or suing an Org because your bike is now illegal for a class, or because it is a "Womens-only" race and you don't have a vagina....things like that.

If things like that start happening, that will be the beginning of the end of our sport. Either because the liability will be way too much, or because entry fees will quadruple to cover the ridiculous liability insurance.

When you get into the breach of contract and more business-like side of things, that is a different story.

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

By my count after talking to a bunch of parents we are already well over that number. That may change when rules/prices etc are announced. We are in for the whole Series either way. I have a feeling there are going to be a few who have been club racing locally for a long time and are in for some real sticker shock when they build a budget. This is going to be cheap compared to racing a 600 at the Pro level but it isnt going to be something your paying for out of your normal paycheck and just playing 1 weekend a month.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It absolutely will change when cost of the bike and gear comes out. It'll change again when people start factoring in the true expense of travel and competing in a pro series. But, some will do it and some will shine and hopefully by that point there will be places for them to get jobs racing.

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yep, that was my train of thought. Travel alone is gonna cost. What about you guys on the west coast coming up with a deal with the others to split the hauling of bikes cost. Or possibly leave the bikes on the east coast at a beeber that can be trusted.

5. TrackStar

Theres talk of putting something like that together. I've never been able to put something this important (to me and my kid) into the hands of others. I'll run our deal self contained. I dont want to be responsible for someone elses stuff if something goes wrong and I dont want someone else responsible for my shit. Co'op's seem to work until they dont then people are left hanging mid season.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

What he said!

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm not suggesting that someone sue MotoAmerican, but I think it's a possibility their legal department needs to anticipate.

This is racing. Either people are fast enough to safely compete, or they're not. I understand their desire to create a class targeted at developing young talent, but I think it's ripe for attack under the right circumstances.

There are better ways to craft the rule to control who races in the class.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kids sports being based on age are nothing new and no way a lawsuit would go anywhere. Just as our Senior Superbike class has a minimum age. Hell, just as all of racing has minimums.

Like or not that's your call but to go to the extreme of talking about a lawsuit being possible because you don't like the rule is pushing the whole thing a lot.

9. TrackStar

Its Professional Racing not a grocery store. It doesnt have to be handicap accessible, it doesnt have to be age appropriate and everyone doesnt have to be invited. Age limits have been around forever, we've dealt with our kids not being able to race for years... its their time now. This is a youth development series not a retirement league for shoulda beens or never were's.

10. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Mongo has this right. No different than the under-23 soccer teams. (Google U23 soccer and you will see pages of under 23 soccer leagues and info.)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - you guys have GOT to get over this thinking there is some need for a kids class at pro races. There does not. It isn't a necessity for kids to go professional racing when they're ready for the bigger classes. The only thing I have ever seen a kids class do is bankrupt people who jump in head first without a clue what it'll cost.

Your kids have absolutely been able to race for years. Those guys running AMA Pro last year didn't just magically appear from nowhere and they didn't have a kids class at the pro races. They didn't need one, they honed their skills at club races and pro/am series. The same way the last however many US World Champions have.

Sorry but I'm getting tired of the stupid shit about how much of a necessity it is. It's not. It's cool that KTM is supporting kids. It's cool MotoAmerica is supporting kids. But it's not a necessity. This isn't Spain. This isn't Europe. It's a single country the size of Europe with all of the travel of running a world level series without any of the money available. What works there does not and will not work here.

I get all of the excitement of the race dads to be part of the big show and all that - but don't lose track of reality.

12. TrackStar

I should have clarified. There are places the kids cant ride based on age.

And for the record you are wrong. It is a necessity. Look at the countries represented on the world stage and tell me its not. The way we used to do things worked. Its painfully obvious that it doesnt anymore.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The issue is not a kids class existing or not existing. The issue is the entirety of professional racing in the US. The kids will still not be able to go from a KTM series to Moto3 or Moto2 and be ready. Until the riders in the 600/1000/SB classes are there they'll still have to take the same exact steps they do right now which is go race a healthier Euro national championship. The kids class won't do a thing to change that.

The way things used to work would be just fine but there is and has not been viable professional racing in the US since DMG bought AMA Pro. That is the issue along with the economy. A kids class will not fix any of that.

There are a tiny number of tracks where the age limit is 16 - however WERA has had no issues getting that changed where we run including Mid-Ohio.

14. TrackStar

Exactly my point.

Now our kids will be on the same equipment as most of the other countries feeder classes. They will be running under a professional organization tied to Dorna and all of those other Championships. Now our kids will be looked at for those seats at the same time the Spanish kids are because there will be a clean comparison. Theres a reason Dorna tied into this thing and they said it straight up they need US talent on the world stage. If they werent using this KTM Cup deal as that feeder it wouldnt be happening because there is no other reason for it.

15. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

Im not elbows deep into these workings so forgive my ignorance.

Just curious, why is it a necessity?
    And what do you mean by the way we used to do things?

Is it a necessity to groom riders to go over seas? Or for them to make a career out of motorcycle racing? Because we've seen a lot of people make a career right here in the states when the money was still flowing. If its to go overseas how will it prepare them for the culture shock of different countries, and the physical shock of the different nature of the tracks over there?

Im also not sure of your reference to the way we used to do things. Do you mean our last batch of successful guys we sent over seas? Nicky & Colin (im excluding Ben for the moment) grew up racing dirt track and motocross before transitioning to road racing. Now it seems like we want kids to start in road racing and only focus on that. We dont know if the way we did things doesnt work, because it seems that we stopped doing what was producing the successful racers.

The new class will be cool since all the bikes will be similar producing close racing. I dont care if its school kids, college kids or mid life crisis guy. Bar to bar racing would be exciting to watch.

16. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

The old saying goes "racers race" ... so if theres no support from the pro series for kids they will race some where .... theres been kids who came up and are racing pro without the support of a Pro Series for them in the AMA.... USGPRU used to just piggy back off the AMA with a selected few rounds which actually I dont think anybody could have learned that much seeing seat time was stupid (first session in the morning,last in the day (if there was time) )... were they racing with the better kids and older guys in the country ,sometimes if everyone showed up.
    So a kid could hone his skills on a Honda RS125 or Moriwaki and just turn laps by himself,or a flat track running circles all day on a xr100 .... if he learns the bike and what its doing hes gonna shine on what ever hes (or she)is riding.Some have it naturally and other will have to work for it but in the Country as a whole theres only gonna be a handful.Way to many other ball and stick sports in this Country

17. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Get a 125 for ur kid and let him ride the wheels off the thing on as many tracks as you can afford to go to ,way more track time and seat time and ur wallet will thank U.Moriwaki is way more forgiving but would be the second best tool to learn on.

18. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I with Kelly here. Sure there are other ways to get over seas, but you have so many hoops, fire to jump through and you having a better chance hitting the lotto. This series being tied in with Dorna, will give these kids exposure that they never would of. So, to me for it is nessary to get our kids on the same equipment and same spot light so to say and give them a real fighting chance.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You need to get out of Utah more or something. I've been watching kids ride equipment that is perfectly comparable to everything being run in Europe. US kids have been looked at for seats in things like the Red Bull Rookies Cup.

This class will not give them some magical pass to other series. There is a clean comparison to those classes now.

As for the rest - huh? Yes I know what they said. They're doing this class because KTM wants to promote their motorcycles. It is not for some altruistic reason to get kids to the world stage. You're attributing all sorts of things to this class and dreaming up all sorts of possibilities that just aren't going to happen.

20. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Go to Spain or Italy or many other European countries. 2 wheel vehicles on the road are a way of life. Street scooters and motorcycles are deeply embedded in daily life and culture. Stoplight grand prixs along narrow, twisty roads are part and parcel of everyday life.

Who are consistently the best MX Riders, Drag Racers, Oval Racers and Flat Tackers in the world? For whatever reason, these are the 2-wheel sports the US has decided to embrace. Almost all of our ultra-successful road racers grew out of this environment.

Road Racing is just not deeply embedded in US culture. This applies to cars as well, who was the last great American in F1? To say those countries are succeeding because of age-limited stepping stone classes just doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014