1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Main thing everyone seems to be missing is all these "Overseas Sponsors" really would rather have a European rider or rider from their countries product they are sponsoring .... flame on

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You guys are nuts. There will be no change in the hoops. There isn't a change in the hoops the Euro kids have to jump through either.

I'm seriously floored at the equipment stuff you guys are harping on. The kids have been on the right equipment. It has worked. Or did I miss things like Gabriel Hernandez getting a ride for 2015? Oh wait - http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite...nandez-G3-ends-WERA-season-in-021243364005743

I don't know why the parents are in this delusional state but it's just silly. You guys keep talking to each other when you need to be talking to people who have actually done what it is you dream of doing. There is not a magic way for ANY rider to get to the world stage. One class will NOT make a difference. It hasn't any time it's been tried before and it doesn't in Europe either.

And again - this has nothing to do with the class being a good thing or not. It absolutely is a good thing. But you guys are being totally delusional on what it can do and that is a very bad thing in the long run for the kids you hope to help achieve their dreams. This is merely another tiny step in the long road to getting to the world stage. It will not change the amount of work and sacrifice needed.

3. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I guess we will find out. And I LOVE it when people throw out stuff like Gabe getting a ride. Yep 1 kid from the entire USA. Ya, we are kicking ass at this rider development deal. We have some VERY fast kids here, we just dont have any exposure and backing for them. More than anything I believe this MA deal is going to change that. Rider development isnt just about going fast Mongo, it isnt just about turning laps or going to WERA races. Its just as much about exposure, being seen by the right people and learning to race under pressure. You can go turn laps for 10 years by yourself and get really fast but thats not the entire equation.

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Red-Bull-Rookies-Cup-Riders/001242970471648

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What's truly funny about this is we have found out, repeatedly. The Supersport class was for kids - and they race 600's in Europe. The Red Bull Rookie Cup here in the US was for kids and they absolutely race that in Europe.

Don't let excitement cloud history.

5. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

:bow:

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And just because I know as usual a lot of people will get pissed off at me and take things out of context - I totally support this class. I think it will be good. I thank KTM for their continued support of racing in the US. I thank MotoAmerica for taking on a huge challenge in trying to fix pro racing. I thank all the parents for letting their kids be involved in this sport.

All I am discussing here is the level of expectation and attributing things to one class that just aren't in the realm of reality of motorcycle roadracing in the US.

The reason for this is simple. I've seen way too many people burn out too early when they had these exact same delusions. The ones who go into everything expecting what can actually happen are those who stick around and succeed. It takes work and it takes a good chunk of luck.

7. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Its the plain exposure that these kids will get, that to me is going to help them out. No matter what you do, it takes money and lots of it. The exposure that this class and ktm is going to bring to the table for sponser and everyone to see is great. What channel can a kinda of interested family in motorcycle turn to,to watch kids there age race motorcycles?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, same channel they can turn to right now to watch any pro racing in the US - none.

And again, if they do get the highlights on TV that is fantastic and it will absolutely help, but my point doesn't change any at all, it's a help which I've been saying all along. It's not a miracle cure. It won't change any of the hoops to get to Europe and so on.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I would love to see the big teams doing development deals with kids like many of the NASCAR teams are doing now. Find the fast local kid and start supporting them through the ranks. They are truly looking for the future stars EARLY. Hell, Tony Steward has a 12 year old kid in his development program. It is getting more and more common for the Nascar teams to support young drivers in local and regional series.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

NASCAR teams have millions of dollars. Even the factory teams in roadracing are hard pressed to get through their own season. Would it be cool? Well hell yes it would. But it's not feasible for anyone right now.

11. assjuice cyrus

I get that the hoops wont change, But don't you think if they do get put on t.v. that it will make the hoops easier? Don't get me wrong I get there is no easy pass to this and the racers must still produce results and show they have what it takes, But done correctly this HAS to help some what.

12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

This. Isn't. NASCAR.

Or Europe.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

If putting it on TV made money, it would have never NOT been on TV.

Think of the worst thing on TV; and I mean the absolute worst dreck imaginable. That made more sense to someone to put on TV than motorcycle racing last year.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The kids class will not be televised like the bigger classes. Yes, it will help, I have been saying that all along. I can change font or bold it if that will help you guys see when I post those words. It will not remove the hoops. It will not remove the expense. It will not change things appreciably. But yes, it will help some riders for sure. It will also hurt others, just the nature of the beast and the expense of running a pro race series in the US.

15. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I just hope the grids are big. I love seeing close competition..... On Moriwaki, CRF100, or Ninja 250s.....

16. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

PJ Jacobsen
    Jake Gagne
    Cameron Beaubier
    JD Beach
    Josh Hayes
    Hayden Gillam
    Joe Roberts
    Benny Solis
    Many other current racing Americans in who are or were in prestigious European Championships.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

So as a dad, where/when will you draw the line? How far into this will you and your son go to "make it"? What's your expected budget based on bikes, tires, travel costs, etc. given how the schedule looks? I'm curious more than anything, as you're quite vested in making this work. Is he as into it as you are? How will he handle failure when it first shows up? More importantly, how will you? I've read some of your posts and get the feeling that you're not the little-league-dad-type, but want to provide for your son here as best you can - completely valid.

I agree the class is a great addition. However it's only one piece of the puzzle - as everyone here knows.

I'd say every person in each MotoAmerica class is hoping for what you're hoping for.

18. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I get that, but the level of money needed is not a high as NASCAR either. I also understand that it most likely wouldn't happen. It would be nice to see though. Even small amounts of support would be great. Say Suzuki USA gives an up and coming kid a bike for the year. Or even just pays their entry for the season. Little things. In return they get right of first refusal on the rider when they turn pro. Just an idea.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally missed the edit.

I can list all of the kids who are currently riding in Europe in 2013/2014 if you like but you should already know them as much as you're an expert on what it takes to get there.

I never said anything even close to it being about just turning laps or even being about just WERA. It takes a whole lot more than that to get a ride. It is indeed a lot about exposure - however that is something that you as a rider/parent need to do. Press releases every weekend. Visiting sponsors. Appearances at any bike night that will have you. Hell, try and get on local morning shows. All sorts of possibilities and all of them help.

Riding under pressure is important too, something I see happening every single weekend I go to every year. A spec class isn't necessary. Nor is being in a class with 30 other riders. What's interesting is the faster riders I know actually don't need the external pressure to improve themselves, those I've seen go to Europe and succeed have an internal drive that far outweighs anything anyone else on the grid can put on them. That being said, riding in traffic is good. Even better on an inferior bike, teaches you a lot. Those are all the things I'm talking about that a single class will not fix. There are a huge amount of things that go into being a world level rider, which is why there are so few of them...

20. assjuice cyrus

Do we know 100 percent that the kids wont be on t.v.?