1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Before I even attempt to read this shit..... Christ man Paragraphs!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    regularguy likes this.
  2. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

MotoAmerica setting up the cup class to align with other international standards for lightweight racing, is one of the best things to happen to American motorcycle racing in many years.

The potential exposure for our young racers in this new program is priceless

Banditracer and cajun636 like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Heck if money is the issue...didn't one of the KTM racers who raced in England go to Mexico to race, because they didn't have to pay for the bike and it allowed for a year earlier of entrance. Just saying...there can be ingenious ways to get around the money issue.

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

A CBR is a great in between bike. But again that is not the point of the class. I saw Dustin Dominguez do just what you said went from a 125 to a F2 then to a SV and 600, his dad is a cop. So let's just say he isn't rich.

The actual bike that would make the most sense HP wise to bridge the gap would be the SV. The other problem is... They don't make those anymore either. Although I will say this. Look back at the times on the 250's. Brandon Altmeyer and some of the other kids started out on the 250's and won the ESS championship on those. Then look how they did on the KTM's. And I can ASSURE you, I know his parents, they are just hard working regular people who support their kid. Draik is another one, watch, he will be at the pointy end on those KTM's also. He came from a 250 also. Save your money, buy a used one either this year or next and go racing if you are still young enough.

The point is what my buddy here said below. Here I will price one out for you.

2015 Kawi EX300

$700 Bodywork-- Shark
    $800 Full System -- Akr0
    $200 Rearsets--- Rearsets
    $100 Brake lines
    $350 PCV
    $200 QS
    $800 Slipper Clutch-- Yoyo

And you have to buy the bike new because they aren't going to start a program using old shit. Now you may be able to find some used ones already set up. But this is just a run down of the cost of a comparable bike.

5. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Thanks for the mention of Draik. I hope he does well.

I won't get into the actual cost of buying a 5 year old 250, keeping it on stock suspension, stock motor, and finding every good deal (including crashed body work) to get it race ready.

We've found that rather than spending money on "going quicker" we have invested money into "learning faster". Maybe it works, maybe not...time will tell.

Metalhead, RRP and John29 like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it's ESS then no on 250 Superbikes.

7. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

What JU said....

So you want me to put my "kid" that is 5'1" and 95 pounds on a 600 Lance Hammond? And when he is on a 600, I don't think I can build him a competitive 600 for $10,000.

cajun636 likes this.
  8. Cam Morehead

$10,000 includes much more than just a motorcycle.....

9. Cam Morehead

What JU said....

10. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

He will do well. I know it. He just has to know it.

r6boater likes this.
  11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Cam is going crazy lol

But what does he know.....

Cam Morehead likes this.
  12. lanehammond

lanehammond Well-Known Member

Here is my point.. The Yamaha r3 is having a cup bike race in Australia for 7,500 bucks you get a bike that can be street legal, a extra race exhaust, fairings. Ect. thats the kind of beginning bike class America needs not some over priced stuff that's detuned

13. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Their program is a good one. But like someone else said, KTM put up the money, I'm more than sure Yamaha was given the chance also, but chose not to. KTM here, and I'm sure Yamaha there are losing a fair bit of money on the actual programs when you figure in what they have to do to support the classes.

Lane.. I gotta ask.. Are you of age for the class? That may be getting in the way of forming an actual opinion. Because you would then have a vested interest. That is influencing your opinion.

The reason for the reduced state of tune is to not only level the playing field but to make the engines last. Not to slow the bikes down.

14. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

The $7500 R3 racer in Aus, is HEAVILY subsidized by Yamaha Aus. Yamaha has deeper pockets than KTM. Im glad KTM stepped up, to help young US racers, but sad to see them pull the plug on their superbike program. The marketing pie is only so big.

cajun636 likes this.
  15. ton

ton Arf!

two choices: 1) move to Australia
    2) stay here and race the only series available.

personally, i'd say that if the $3500 difference to race a well supported class with ~30 riders on the grid is too much for you (from a financial, or simply "i want it my way" standpoint)... you're simply in the wrong sport.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

3) Go to Mexico and get to ride the KTM for free

ton likes this.
  17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If you take into account investment versus likely outcome, there's not a lot to choose between the two programs. I took a hard look at the likelihood of long term success in road racing, and decided we would be better of running track and cross country. The Yamaha would not have changed my mind. The KTM deal seems to be doing well for those willing to make the necessary effort. Be happy for them. You have raced with some of these kids. Cheer them on!

Cam Morehead likes this.