AMA 1000 class is dead. At Barber and it's just sad

Discussion in 'General' started by GrayGhost, Jun 23, 2012.

1. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

I'd agree. But it's been quite a while since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

2. Beat me to it. The real enthusiasts are already here...and will stay here. We might bitch about things every now and then, but we aren't going anywhere.

We need NEW people coming into the sport. Turn on the TV around some people or bring somebody to a race and tell them that the bikes in front have 100k electronics and $5k wheels and see how much of a shit they give.

...but let there be 40 bikes on the grid with the majority of the field running within 1 second of each other and see how much they enjoy watching it.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I realized that when I proofread my post :D I had started it with a "but" then changed it to a "yes".

Anyway. I had hoped that DMG would have made the racing more like NASCAR. As much as I dislike the idea of turning left all day, those guys have the racing formula right. They've managed to make four hours of left turns actually exciting (to all the millions and millions of their fans) by keeping the racing close, making all of the cars basically the same, and finding ways to get the pack bunched back up any time it gets stretched out.

In most cases you don't know who is going to win a NASCAR race until the last lap. Compare that to a MotoGP race or an AMA Superbike race, and many times you know who's going to win after the first lap or two. Then you just have to wait 40 minutes for it to be over. And it makes the TV experience suck because for whatever reason, the cameras would rather spend the whole race showing Stoner/Pedrobot/Hayes/etc riding around alone, 30 seconds in front of the pack, than show the guys battling for 2nd-10th (although I admit this is getting somewhat better).

It doesn't have to be a spec series. Moto2 does it with multiple chassis builders. Nascar does it with multiple chassis and engine builders. What they do have is a very strict rulebook that limits the overall package to an easily attainable performance limit that even the smallest teams can reach and be competitive at. The best riders will always come to the top - but at least if the equipment is on par, you have more of a chance to see a race. As it stands right now, even on a bad day, the top guys run circles around everyone else.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I for one could care less about full blown Superbike's if they bring with them the geek squad and associated costs. I could care less about who has the best guy's reading Data and integrating it into the TC/WC/EBC software. I could care less about who's proccessor refreshes at the highest rate, its all crap.

I'd be very impressed if DMG could find a way to get rid of it without Yamaha and Suzuki bailing on the series like Honda and Kawasaki have already done.

It is a shame that you can use a electronics system that costs three times what the bikes cost new but you must use stock rods, can't do anything to the crank and etc. JMO

I really enjoy watching Josh Hayes ride, regardless of whether its on a 600 or a electronically tamed Superbike simply because of the intensity that he rides with. That's the reason he's kicking ass on the R1, not because of some electronics crap. Also, JMO.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It seems as if they really made a half-assed attempt and trying to reduce costs by making specific rules about specific parts but allowing giant loopholes for the big teams to pour money through. I wonder if it was shortsightedness/ignorance on their part, or something that the manufacturers/big teams forced on the negotiating table.

6. chadspaint

chadspaint Well-Known Member

:rock:

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So are you saying that you DO want them to be brought back? :cool:

8. chadspaint

9. turner38

NASCAR has one of the best rules packages around IMO.

Maybe thats what DMG need's is a NASCAR like class,

Use any liter engine you want, any cam, any crank as long as it retains the stock stroke and is made of steel, Carbs will be VIA a 4412 Holley and ignition will be a MSD 7AL. It must be housed by a mild steel, tube type frame using a conventional swingarm with two shocks attached within three inches of the rear axle centerline. etc etc:D

10. chadspaint

add.. It's like 98 degrees and 89% humidity

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Danny, you do realize that NAPCAR went to FI this year, don't you?

12. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

nascar's fuel injection is $26,000 per car

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Cheap at half the price! :D

14. turner38

Yeah, I think it was a big mistake.

You can buy quite a few REALLY well prepped carbs for that kind of change.

I wonder what kind of injection they went to? A speed density type like bikes use or a Mass air type like many cars?

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Half of that price is probably data tie-ins so NASCAR can broadcast all the driver info during the race. :D

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Correctamundo!

18. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Didn't the slowing down of nascrap cars force more drifting and raise the likelihood of crashes?

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

It's all part of 'the show'.

OBTW, I don't think 'drifters' are in NAPCAR... yet.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

drafting?