1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2021 | Round 7 | Catalunya | Spain | Jun 4 - 6

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, May 31, 2021.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Sharp objects.

It doesn't matter what the rule says. The riders are allowed to crash and re-enter the race with damaged safety gear, including helmets.

cav115, AJ, BigBird and 1 other person like this.
  2. Should have stated “my opinion”, haven’t looked into rule details. If you are mandating airbags they damn well should be a rule about functioning ones etc and a suit unzipped is not functioning. Think their are some other rules as well so might as well let him unbuckle his helmet etc. If I was Dorna that wouldn’t be a tough call if there are some wording in the rules about suits, safety and functionality. I don’t give a shit about a championship I give a shit about riders safety. It was the dumbest thing I have seen in a while that’s for sure. I don’t blame him all that much as racers in general need to be saved from themselves but the officials should have done something. Sure they were all scrambling wondering wtf to do.

3. He’s not that lucky, he was still French at the end of the race :D

motoracer1100 and MachineR1 like this.
  4. I don’t know, Moto 3 was a snooze fest, especially the last couple laps :) all I could think of was 4 wide into T1, hold my beer, watch this.

Quicktoy likes this.
  5. According to Dorna as well as the safety commission that represents the riders.

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Do you think redbull will let him slip away?

7. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Miller said in the presser “the tire temperature light came on”

9. 418

418 Expert #59

BigBird likes this.
  10. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I don't like to see race direction make calls that could have championship implications; especially post race. I was surprised they did not call him in to pit lane during the race. After seeing him nearly tuck the front, I kept picturing him crashing without the leathers zipped up. As much as the additional 3 second penalty sucks, in reality it worked out better than having to come to pit lane. I'm rooting for the guy to win the championship and I think he was lucky to lose just 2 positions, considering what could have been.

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

So a guy's airbag goes off, he tosses his chest protector on the racetrack, and he gets effectively penalized one place FOR FOURTH. Meanwhile, Oliveira shows magic that deserves celebration.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  12. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Jack miller in the post race official youtube he mentions trying to get out of the hot air to no avail with a red light on the dash.

motion, Phl218 and Canadian Bacon like this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

he got penalized for cutting T1, probably when his airbag was going off, that's what penalized him to 4th. He then got another penalty for the chest protector that penalized him down to 6th.

So he basically got 2 penalties for the chest protector and demoted 3 postions.

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I watched his interview about the whole deal and I never heard Fabio say the air vest went off, just that the leathers unzipped. Do we in fact know that it did ?

stk0308 likes this.
  15. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

But they let riders continue without brake lever protectors, and that’s also a required safety item...

CRA_Fizzer and Quicktoy like this.
  16. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

I think the thing we should take away from this is that KTM changed their frame ONE time and went from running with Rossi to winning. That is damn impressive from the KTM engineers.

17. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

He said the leathers just unzipped..... there wasn't an airbag or any of that shit. Unless I missed something. I keep reading his airbag went off.... he just said they unzipped. Which I believe because my Astar suit came unzipped and I have a super messed up shoulder from it. So it doesn't surprise me that the zipper failed... I will never own a piece of Astar gear again.

Attached Files:

jksoft, stk0308 and BigBird like this.
  18. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

track wagon likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I doubt it. I was just saying that Dixon is not a lock at SRT.
    Ask @418 . To my knowledge, the airbag angle has only come up on the BBS so far. :D
    Are you under the impression that I've been saying that the officials keep making smart decisions?

Quicktoy and noles19 like this.
  20. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I'm so sick of this changing results bullshit!:mad: I didn't even know about the second one until now.

Quicktoy likes this.