1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Healthcare Rates no-holds-barred discusion

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

One of my concerns going forward is that if the mess is simply repealed, we will end up in an even bigger mess than we are currently in as all the health care providers are stuck trying to catch up with the laws again. How about making it simpler, like car insurance. Why not allow insurance companies to offer health insurance across state lines? Why can't I have the same insurance company in Arkansas that I had in California? It seems that would actually bring in some competition. The current system seems designed to gouge the customers.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't have time to go into it too deeply, but this occurred to me: Police may not have been the best example due to recent trending news, but how about fire departments? Nobody seems to have a problem there do they? Everyone loves the firemen. What would you say if your house was on fire and the fire department wanted you to pay for it before they put the fire out?

And for the record, you don't have to be "smart" to be a doctor, at least not the way most medicine is practiced nowadays. It's all about numbers and money, not about care. You're just as likely to get the prescription for the drug with the highest profit margin as you are to get the one that actually is the best for your symptoms.

Without the altruism, the entire field is tainted. When profit is involved, the FIRST thing to go out the window is patient care.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Healthcare can't follow the same model as auto insurance. It's not really even insurance, it's more like a savings plan or cost pooling plan. With auto insurance, there's a good chance you might never use it. With health insurance, the only chance of not using it is if you die suddenly before they can even try to fix you.

4. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

It absolutely could work like auto insurance if it was legal to offer and purchase that type of product. Instead, the government has mandated the equivalent of prepaid maintenance plans. Auto insurance would see similar price increases if coverage of all maintenance was mandated and the consumers started using emergency 24 hr mechanics to repair every scratch and rattle.

The problem is that the incentives for consumers are all messed up. There is minimal to no cost for consuming the services. The argument has been that increased insurance coverage would drive people to use cheaper PCP services, but has actually increased costs by encouraging more emergency service use. Furthermore, government provided insurance does not lead to improved health. Medicaid recipients end up no healthier than those that do not receive benefits. It's just a giant waste of money. The only way to fix the system is to allow a free market to exist. Something that hasn't existed in this country since before WW2.

5. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Actually there are FDs like that. Seems to actually work well. Residents have the option of paying for yearly fire service or they get a massive bill if they have a fire and use the FD. FD's in that situation have been known to sit and watch a house burn down when they haven't been paid.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

What kinda Mayberry is this? Why would a FD even be on scene if they werent dispatched? :crackup: I would tell the FD to get bent if my house was burning & they wanted me to issue payment. Tis why you have insurance.;)

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

They were dispatched to make sure the neighbors who paid the yearly fee were protected. :p

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How about a wheelbarrow full of FUCK THAT SHIT. Do the cops in that town only investigate crimes against members? What if it's a due payer who commits a crime?

9. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Single payer is the goal
    Obamacare is just a step on getting there

10. ped

ped Banned

Far out, Karl!

Hey brah we should like, all chip in and share the services.

11. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Didn't realize I was talking about the police, simply a for profit FD that actually seems to work. The yearly fee is quite small, think of it like full coverage insurance vs only liability for your car. You don't have to buy it but you don't get the benefit of being able to use it if you need to.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But in your "sit and watch it burn" scenario there must not be a non-pay fire dept.

13. ped

ped Banned

Nor do the neighbors when the fire spreads to their house cause you didnt buy fire department "insurance." Of course then you'd need criminal and civil liability insurance cause of our sue happy society.

Or you could just let the .1% of your taxes pay the department, skip the legal issues, the massive insurance premiums, and not let your house burn down to the ground.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Might wanna ask your insurance company how quick your policy lapsed when you didn't pay your dues to the fire district. :Poke:

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Its my "Mayberry" so dont tell me about the consequences! There are none! :D
    My house will be on a spring fed lake and be constructed of fire proof materials. :Poke:

16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

If it turns up missing, just ask Hippie Hank where he rolled it to. :crackup:

17. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

Can't smoke hempcrete, it is fire resistant though. :Poke:

18. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

tom woods: how capitalism can fix healthcare
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOMI6Cqxw7E

https://www.atlas.md/

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

FD comes out of local taxes and is definitely more than .1% of the bill.

20. ped

ped Banned

What percent of local taxes are spent on FD? Mine are 1.25% local. So less than 1% goes to FD which is a really great deal.