2016 Healthcare Rates no-holds-barred discusion

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Oct 31, 2015.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No sense in picking through the minefield in General, healthcare and polititics are one these days.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/10/epic-systems-judith-faulkner-hitech-ehr-interoperability

Docs face 'crushing' costs from diagnosis code switch, AMA says

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-records-and-health-information-technicians.htm

ICD-10: Exact Symptom Location Becomes a Huge Deal

Now you know.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I am not the dumbest kid in the class and do not understand that second article. In plain English, why more $?

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Sounds like they expect a ton of rollout costs (setting the system up, purchasing new software, etc) followed by a period where productivity is low due to a combination of staff (on both ends) having to adjust to the new system. Also, the new codes are surely worked in the insurance company's favor to make it easier for them to deny claims, forcing the payment back on to the patient, which most likely means the dr will end up writing it off (it will also mean lots of patients will get hits on their credit reports, screwing up their ability to get good interest rates and further embedding them in the modern credit prison system).

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I'm just glad the fed took enough time to consider the impact of the ACA on society's contributors and taxpayers and decided it would be a great idea to implement since the math proved the sheer numbers would sustain it with minimal impact to the average working American...

In other news, the average working American has been bent over a barrel once again.

5. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

the shameful part is they did they aint stupid. we are getting exactly what they wanted just like all other social care programs, it never is about helping anyone get better. its about the power of offering the service

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Moving forward beyond just the rates, it's clear that this ACA bs isn't going to work longterm. What's next? Repeal (especially if we manage to get a Republican president and congress elected) or doubling down and moving to some sort of single pay system?

I won't hide my belief that healthcare in our country is broken. I DON'T think government is the answer for most things, but at the same time I believe that quality medical care should be pretty much an inalienable right. Not dying shouldn't be a privilege of the wealthy.

I don't have all the answers, but I think medicine (physicians primarily) should be regarded more in the same vein as police/military/nurses/emts/fireman, who are motivated by duty, and less like lawyers/ceos/etc that are motivated by wealth. If you want to be a rockstar, get into elective care and be a concierge physician for the wealthy or be a plastic surgeon. Otherwise, set aside your Ritchie Rich aspirations and make a comfortable living taking care of your fellow man.

There is a HUGE need for qualified primary care physicians. Even with every single medical school pumping out as many doctors as they can, there still aren't enough doctors and other medical staff. It's so expensive to get the training and the field is so complicated (from a business standpoint) that it's not worth it for most young people. There's got to be some way to simplify the system while still providing enough incentive to foster innovation in care and treatment.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

And the money. This hybrid model stuff is crazy. The insurance companies should have never been involved in the writing of the rules. You wouldn't let the foxes design your new henhouse would you?

8. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

This is exactly what we were speaking with our chiropractor about. He was telling, and showing us, the changes in diagnosis codes, all the new additions, how much more there was to it now, and explaining about the new computer system he was having to switch over to. This is also something myself and my medical IT friend have been discussing. There most definitely are heavy changes in the system.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

See now as dissatisfied participants we should band together and put the Champions of that legislative garbage on a boat adrift in International waters.
    We will send a rescue crew out when we decide if you are worth the cost. :D

10. turtlecreek

or maybe just make them use the same system we have to for medical.

11. TurboBlew

Um I dont necessarily agree with that. I would say kids 0-18 should have free healthcare. And folks that are of SS retirement age.

Any healthcare is a compromise if you look at it through a business perspective. The reality is you as a patient have to make your own decisions.
    And its like anything else... you need to do your due diligence.

Now the complex part is figuring out "mental" health vs physical. I heard a disturbing report on the radio about the Army discharging soldiers, denying them retirement & benefits on brain damage & injuries caused by war duty.

12. TurboBlew

sure... after they do a short stint as cast aways :FL: Standing in a "Free clinic" waiting room should change some perspective.

13. turtlecreek

there is a lot here. i had to go get my keyboard to address it!! :eek:

1 WHAT NEXT? we have broken it beyond recognition. when in a hole, stop digging. why not go back to what we had? my family has significant medical issues and they were better off under the previous plans. why must we keep marching "forward?".

2. i can't wait for the Ayn Rand crowd to get you. Altruism isn't a human trait on which i would count. Dr's aren't cops. No offense to cops, but i want the brightest, most dedicated person slicing on me. i'm pretty bright, but wasn't willing to make the sacrifice needed to become a Dr. That is a GOOD thing that I didn't become one. This takes time, talent and money. I want them MOTIVATED to do the best. besides, if we rely on those wanting to serve their fellow man only....you'll end up with civil servants and religious crazys doing the cutting. :)

remember, the TRUE free enterprise system works. what we have is a modified, bastardized system. don't throw out the baby with the bath water. fix the problem. realize that a true free enterprise system will reward hard work and ingenuity. This will create wealth and philanthropy. This will provide for those who cannot. stripping away the benefit of hard work will get you nothing but mediocre product...doesn't matter if it is healthcare or warfare.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

What cracks me up is the people that go on their "blame the CEO's of the insurance companies" rants. Yes, they are the ones fleecing the public right now but only because the politicians gave them authority to do so. No matter how you look at it, the blame for this current system is squarely on the shoulders of the politicians that voted it in. If they were truly interested in getting healthcare for the masses they would have addressed why the costs were so high instead of creating this mess.

15. ped

ped Banned

There's no free enterprise in some things. Roads, power lines, police, non-elective medical care, etc. You don't get to shop around when going to the ER. There's no pressure on the system to provide the best care for the best price.

It's really a bilk the the insurance and taxpayers free-for-all.

16. turtlecreek

I can't find the article, but there is a hospital in KC or close to there, that they don't take your insurance. They publish each procedures price on the Web. You pay. Many people are opting for it because it is actually CHEAPER than using insurance!!! If the lawyers and politicians would get our of it, that would spread and we would have true free enterprise healthcare care along with true charitable Healthcare. Again, it is the politicians and big business doing this. You can't have one without the other.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

So how many pediatricians do you think will become GP's and stop taking <18 patients?

How many doctors will stop taking elderly patients?

It's quite the crock of bullshit to imply that employment in medical care equates to indentured servitude.

So you can take the axe to the back of the axe to the face. Only difference being open casket vs. closed.

And this surprises you? You need to get out more.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You can learn a lot from a guy who believes in fairy tales. :stupid: :D

19. turtlecreek

Found it

Surgery center of Oklahoma. Check it out.

20. ped

ped Banned

They just don't have to. Most rural counties, towns and/or small cities have one major hospital anyway and not enough demand (population) for another. As well, in an emergency you don't have time to shop around.

A doctors office for routine procedures on the other hand.....But why bother you will more than make up for fewer patients by charging insurance 10X, 20X, 50X more and work much less doing so.

It's really a great racket.