2016 Healthcare Rates no-holds-barred discusion

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Oct 31, 2015.

1. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix the problem?
    So far all you've done is complain about these freeloaders.
    You asked about my insurance plan and I told you about it.
    Want to share yours?
    Could it be yours is funded by the taxpayers too?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Address the cost of care rather than absence of a no-value added component. Address tort reform. Address the ridiculous cost of bringing a prescription drug to market. THere's a start, and that wouldn't have screwed the pooch nearly as bad as the current SNAFU.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How would you/they do that? Isn't most of that cost R&D? :confused:

4. ductune

Britt I can't tell you anything you don't already know about doing all you can for your loved ones. I've been there too.

I get you're pissed about the costs going up faster in your state than in states that expanded medicare under obama care but that was an option of your state leaders. Not to make matters worse but do you understand the expansion money is reimbursed by the fed because after all it came from your taxes?

Take some time if you have it and research the affects on healthcare costs in states that did and didn't do the expansion. I'm all for smaller government but the people in the non-expansion states are not getting what they already paid for.

5. ductune

I agree.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A huge amount is testing required by the FDA. That's why a lot of drugs are legal in Europe that aren't here.

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

You have no doubt read that the Health Care Exchanges are FAILING...over HALF of them set up by the Feds..???
    But they will throw more money at the problem, making a few people richer, and why would they care, they don't have to deal with it.
    http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/05/half_of_state_obamacare_exchanges_failing.html (there are left leaning sites also)

Duc, LOOK at the VA...is that what government healthcare looks like, I will tell you this, they contributed to killing my Father...putting off his appointments and doing halfassed work.
    I want no part of it.

There is NOTHING that the Feds do worth a shit the private sector can't do better... (Not including the Military, but the contracting could be done better).

I am out, Have to go Make some $$ to pay this shit...fk...just fk.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

On the flipside of that coin, I have seen a few medical scandals since I've been here caused by products that shouldn't have been on the market and killed people. For instance, see you can find some stuff in English about a drug called Mediator. That's the one making headlines these days.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, it's a tough line really.

10. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I read/heard (can't remember which) that in order for the ACA to function it needs 30 million enrollees. They are 19 million short of that right now.

11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Who are you guys using? Right now we're handling insurance personally, but have started considering running it through the company now because of these insane costs.

I dont even know where to begin because according to healthcare.gov we dont qualify for the Small Business (SHOP) plans.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I pointed out to you the freeloaders, don't try to imply motive on my part that isn't there.
    Yes, I have a suggestion. Get government out of insurance. Stop passing laws that cost consumers more money through higher premiums and less competition.
    Get the government out of medicine in every way possible. They aren't improving things.

In conclusion, get the government out.
    The end.

13. In Your Corner

14. ductune

A healthcare system with no over site? Sure, those freeloaders could put on a lab coat that says "Doctor", draw a paycheck and start doing operations and if they screw up that's OK because people will just stop going to them. Got to hand it to you though, that would fix the doctor shortage you spoke of.
    No more malpractice claims so that's a savings too right?
    The pharmaceuticals could start marketing drugs that fix what ails you at the moment without telling you it will do more damage another way so that will save money on R&D plus they could have another drug in the wings to fix what the first one caused. Oh but that would never happen because after all there is great integrity in self regulating industries.

I do agree they need to get rid of some restrictions like the one that stops competition across state lines but getting all government out of the industry would be a big mistake.

OK, fair enough, that's your suggestion. Here's mine and it has as much chance of happening as yours but would be far less risky.
    Get partisan politics out of it. What we had was driving costs up even faster nation wide so something had to be done. Going back to what we had will not fix it.

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Cite please. My rates and the rates of almost everyone I know started increasing much faster after the ACA was passed or else their policies got cancelled and they were forced to buy substandard shit for the same or more money.

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What we had was nowhere near going up faster than what we have now. That is utterly ridiculous.
    Going back to what we had will be a massive step forward, but won't fix it. Another good step would be to stop forcing these medical payment plans to include all kinds of shit most people don't want or need. Then allow them to be shopped across state lines and allow individuals to deduct the premiums from their taxes if not on group payroll plans.
    Plenty of other things to reduce costs, those are just a couple. Allow pure insurance plans without all the mandated bullshit, then individuals can work out costs directly with their providers for standard healthcare costs.

17. ductune

You live in Texas right? You should read this. It also applies to others that have seen big increases while others have seen historically low increases.
    You and others are seeing huge increases and part of that is due to fighting the ACA by refusing medicare/medicaid expansion for the poor.
    It's your money your leaders are blocking from coming back into your state as you paid medicare/medicaid taxes.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/29/texas-pays-a-big-price-for-saying-no-to-medicaid-expansion.html

18. ductune

Utah right?

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yep, a Michagander going to start telling me all about how much better he knows about a place he's never been to?

20. In Your Corner

All you're really talking about is who gets to pay for all the increased expenses.
    You're also ignoring what happens once you massively increase the Medicaid rolls and then dump the expense on the states, which is exactly what will happen.