1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Question:

$3750 to spend on a watch that you plan on selling in 2 years. The watch is more or less just going to be a place holder for some cash and will hopefully appreciate. Toughs?

Its either that, stick the cash in a drawer, the bank at practically zero or invest but its small so not really worth putting into the other investments accounts. A break even proposition would even work if the watch made me smile.

2. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

rolex. will never loose value if you buy it used from a good dealer. Submariner or explorer

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If you have to buy a watch as an investment, Rolex. At least at your money level.

But remember, there are tons of people doing just that and some (me included) think we're in a bubble.

$3750 - Explorer II. Might break even or even lose a couple of bucks but it'll always be worth something.

4. peakpowersports

I wast thinking the Explorer II. I just dug my old car out that I haven't used in years and am going to broom it before it totally rots out. Figured I'd use the cash on the next vehicle purchase but thats a few years out as I just got a new truck in February.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But I'd try and talk you out of doing it. I don't want to sound like an alarmist but I think there's better places to park money (at least small amounts) than watches.

I think you'll get your money back on an explorer II but sooner or later the people that bought art, then wine, then guitars and now rolexs are going to find the next great thing.

I love watches but as investments they are pretty stupid. Well, unless you're talking rare Rolexs and Pateks and I even thing they're in a bubble.

6. peakpowersports

As long as it does not loose I'd be happy... and have a something different for a bit.

*edit*

Loose too much anyways. I'm under no illusion that that these things are consistent. Most of us here should understand they can change on a dime.

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Do share. :)

8. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

No watch is going to appreciate in 2 years. None. At best, certain brains (mostly Patek and Rolex) maintain most of their value if carefully bought used at the right price. But given the trouble of finding and the selling the watch at the right price, you might as well stick the money in a drawer.

If what you have is a two-year plan, there are certain kinds of certificates of deposits you can buy that will give you interest (perhaps 2-3%) over that kind of period. That's your best best.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Where can you find an explorer for under $4,000?

10. HRC-E.B.

You are not going to get an Explorer II for that price. At least not the latest generation (216570). You might well get the generation prior to that though.

A 216570 in "ok" shape sells for the low $5Ks...

Again, I am amazed that some people comment that a Rolex could be an investment. Something "you don't lose too much (or, at best, any) money on" isn't an investment. An investment is something that produces revenue and/or appreciates!

The only Rolex watches that have appreciated are the nowadays popular vintage models like certain particular Subs or Daytonas from 50 years ago, that some people bought at MSRP and that are now worth a small fortune. Nothing you buy today will appreciate, certainly not in the short term.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

As long as you know going into it. :)

$3750? Hmmm. Rolex Explorer, GMT "coke bezel" (more reasonable than a "pepsi" and rarer than the black bezel but might be above your price point), a sub no date or you could go off the established path and really roll the dice. An early IWC non chrono aquatimer (I think they were called 2000 series) but I'd look specifically at something limited like a cousteau.
    Something else (but it's already going up and may be way above your cash level) is an early IWC Big Pilot 5002 "fish crown." be very careful with this, there was issues with the "fish" crown and many were replaced under warranty.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

New? You're dead on right but I'd steer him towards preowned and late 80's/ early 90s.

It's tough but you can make a couple of bucks at best and not lose too much at worst. Like everything else it's timing.

13. peakpowersports

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

THAT is one of the coolest watches out there! Shop smart and you can get one well under retail.

But if you're looking at it as an investment, most Oris won't even get any real money back.

15. HRC-E.B.

Again, if you tell me that you absolutely want to use the funds to have a watch for two years, there are plenty of ways in which you SHOULD be able to recuperate MOST of your money if you resell it (assuming you don't deteriorate the watch too much in the interim).

For example: an Omega Moonwatch, in mint condition, could be purchased within your budget. If you take care of it, it should sell for close to what you paid for it. Same for a Rolex Explorer I or similarly popular Rolex sportwatch you might be able to find within your budget. (As mentioned earlier, certainly not a 216570 though, not at that price unfortunately.) Anything vintage whose value has stabilized for a number of years should also yield similar results.

But if your priority is to have the money in 2 years, forget any watch and just keep the money or buy GICs...

16. peakpowersports

I found the Sixty Five for around $1350.. but yeah, any Oris will be a keeper as once shes used its not worth it to sell. But its probably the coolest diver around IMO.

17. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

My local Rolex dealer mentioned they would buy back the Daytona at full current retail..... which has basically increased every year...... so that's my wearable, appreciating asset (or savings account) on my wrist :D

18. peakpowersports

What reference/year Daytona? You may want to take them up on it! Some of the newer ones don't seem to be highly sought after.

19. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

It's the newer stainless with a white face 116520. Calibre 4130 movement.

Bought in December 2010 for straight retail $10,400
    Current retail $12,450

20. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

There are more than a few watches you can buy and make money on, the trick is to pick something common which you will easily be able to move (ie. Omega Seamaster, Sinn, Rolex, etc.) and get it used. Buy it around Xmas when everyone is selling $h!t to pay for the holidays and, if you're a cash buyer, offer them below market value. You'll be amazed, people will take it. Especially if they don't have the original box it came in.

If you're handy you can actually buy a worn but mechanically sound watch and re-finish / polish the case / bracelet and you'll do ok. Buy a used box on eBay and it seems to add to the value (watch aficionados tend to like a set).

If there's a scratch in the AR coating but not the crystal, you can use it to haggle the watch price down but buff it out and the watch will look like new.

I used to trade watches around all the time but finally just found a few I liked enough to keep and got tired of it. I did just sell a mint Seamaster to pay for a welder though.