1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA speaks on Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Mar 17, 2011.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:stupid: redtail, compare the rules, not the races. If this rule has been changed or clarified, what happened last year does not matter.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

exactly what i was looking for. thanks. although i would have thought it wise to include this in the press release as i would guess im not the only one with these question but meh, who am i? my opinion doesnt count

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

IT WAS...you just didn't read that part...plain as day..right there in the middle, right in between all them other words...LOL

The Red Flag Rules have been CHANGED...from 1919 and 2001/whatever...RTFRB.

And this is for all other races...2011 RB:

iii. During the red flag hiatus period, repairs, adjustments and
    refueling may be performed on all competing motorcycles.

All refueling regulations apply, see 2.22.g.viii. In addition,
    any electrical equipment such as cooling fans, battery
    chargers or tire warmers must be clearly unplugged
    while refueling is in process. Failure to do this may result
    in penalties applied to the restart which may include
    placement on the back of the grid, time penalties or a ride
    through. Repeat offenses may result in disqualification
    from the current race.

iv. Tires may not be changed during such red flag hiatus
    period without the prior approval of the Race Director (who
    may confer with the official tire representatives as to the
    condition of specific tires).

1. After receiving specific approval, all riders who have
    changed any tires during such red flag hiatus period
    must restart at the back of the grid.

2. Riders who have changed any tire without the specific
    prior approval referred to above, may be subject to
    one or more of the following penalties: disqualification
    from restart, black flag and disqualification, loss of
    championship points, suspension. Further official
    action will be at the discretion of AMA Pro Racing

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

In one particular scenario, it has happened with a crash/red flag scenario where the bike is repaired in the pits prior to a complete restart. It happened with both Mladin and Spies, and there's an OTT video floating around of the KWS crew doing it at Road Atlanta.

5. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I don't want to assume, but it sounds like you are confusing WERA endurance and AMA. That is the rule with WERA.

6. SurfingRools

SurfingRools Well-Known Member

LOL someone went to the GNF last season and knows some rules :Poke:

7. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

But doesn't it mention that it is fine to work on the bike, but there were two things to add. The bike was worked on behind pit wall and according to the rules, he should have been gridded in the back.

Now, I think they get around this due to the fact that all bikes were "worked on" during the red flag. Latus had their bike "worked on" just a tad more...

But, also the riders or team members saying they asked if they could get the bike behind pit wall and were told "no" by the AMA...

I understand allowing the work to be done and even behind the wall. But, he shouldn't have been allowed back up front in his original spot.

8. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Did you not read the AMA release? They clearly state that the team was told to take the bike behind the wall since they use pit road as the grid. Also there is not anything in the rules that says you can "work on it that much".

Since the rules were followed to the letter why should they be penalized because some beebers don't like the loophole?

9. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

good lord, this has been covered 10 times already. ama moved them behind the wall to not spill fluids

and ish

10. SurfingRools

they did not want any fluids possibly going on hot pit.....he followed the rules and the AMA made sure they were safely followed.

He got lucky man whats done is done Deal with it.....

11. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

It was there. After the 8th paragraph, they reference rulebook sections 2.23.c.iii (same as Britt referred to), and 2.23h.

Also, FWIW, at the bottom of the page they also solicit feedback at [email protected] and provide a link to the rulebook.

12. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

13. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

What a way to start the season! Lets hope for smoother sailing as the season wears on.

14. SurfingRools

you know what!!! holy cow I didn't even think about the dude Bostrom was steaming about......but is that guy racing all season? :Poke:

15. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Don't Know of any teams that didn't have spare wheels. There were several teams that did not have new fronts mounted on thier spare wheels since they had no intention to change fronts during the race. We were one of the teams that had no intention of changing fronts.

16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I have never seen anyone run the Daytona 200 and NOT have atleast one set of spare wheels.
    (Perhaps things have changed in the last couple years.)

17. CP10R

CP10R Im here to party!!

Its good to see the AMA's press release explaining their process. It was also good to see Dunlap own up their mistakes during the weekend.

18. SethG

SethG Well-Known Member

He is racing all season and I don't think it was intentional, collecting Eric. Pegram did the same thing to peris on the same lap

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

:stupid: Hell, I'd say 90% of WERA racers have spare wheels.

20. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Arent spare wheels basically a moot point though when NOBODY had the "new" tire mounted on those wheels they may or may not have had, so Dunlop still had to change nearly 40 front tires, and everyone had to have time with them on the warmers?