1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chopping wood for Fire Pit/Fire Place

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, May 5, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

What's the best tool(s) to use this wood in a fire pit, and may be the fire place in the winter

Also, do I need to cover these?

51160248458_6871d506d8_c.jpg 51160006166_0b670147df_c.jpg

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

axe

tarp

speedluvn, TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  3. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

A splitting maul might be than an axe for that job.

DrA5, SuddenBraking, Jed and 2 others like this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

R1M370 likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

that or a wedge.
    got me through my 20" diameter pine

Once a Wanker.., R1M370 and BigBird like this.
  6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

You must buy a gas powered hydraulic wood splitter. 25ton minimum. OR a kinetic splitter if you want to split them faster. You must also build a wood shed to store the splits. Beeb minimum.

The Fiskars axes are great. I have a few. If you can't split them with the Fiskars, ask around the neighborhood, and I'm sure a real man could come and help you :D.

7. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Put a bungee cord around the log so you can keep splitting it without flying wood chunks or the need to set the large piece up because it falls over.

Chris, DrA5, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Just got an axe and split some wood, however, theyre rather large pieces that I really should cut down with a chainsaw first. You chainsaw nuts still saying Stihl per the chainsaw thread? I have some average size trees that will be susceptible to strong thunderstorms this year.

Cover or shelter your wood from rain or snow so it dries out.

9. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Been using one of those little electric/hydraulic 6 ton splitters for 6 years now....5 to 7 bushcords a year.Little bugger will split stuff over 20 inches in diameter.They always seem to be on sale up here

DBConz and BigBird like this.
  10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Eugene be careful with that axe.

ton, DaveB and BigBird like this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I was doing some at my older brothers last year... just used a regular old axe. Not as efficient as a splitter but did about 40 logs.
    My younger one tried it and missed a few times...lol

12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Stihl all day every day. Not saying there aren’t other good saws but my oldest mid size stihl is 35 yrs old and been through more chains and bars than I can remember. I have big and small stihls that are only 13 yrs old with only an acre or two on them. As long as you store with ethanol free mix they’ll last for generations. I’ve never owned a splitter but I’m headed that way for sure.

Ducti89 likes this.
  13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I would call my girlfriend's ex husband to split it..... :crackup:

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Are we still talking about the fire wood or...???

:D

15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I used a fiskars splitting axe for 6 cords, it worked great and it’s a good workout too.
    Even missing a few times the composite handle never had an issue.

BigBird likes this.
  16. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

You also need to store it up off the ground......get a couple pallets and stack it on that.

StaccatoFan and BigBird like this.
  17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Old take off tire....Nail it to a stump...place all.small round logs inside and chop away... the tire prevents them from falling out for all cuts and you dont have to bend over and pick them up all day...oh...and a Maul....a sharp one...

Once a Wanker.., cav115 and tdelegram like this.
  18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I used to have a couple rear takeoffs I'd stack up. Stand as many rounds as you can fit inside the tires, and start swinging, working my way around the tire.

I don't burn much wood anymore, but we used to heat with only wood and I'd split most by hand (4-5 cord/year). Great workout and goes faster than a hydraulic (just can't do it all day like running a splitter). I'd take one or 2 pops at a rounds and if it didn't split right away I'd toss in a pile. When the pile got big enough I'd break out the hydraulic splitter for those and all the other crotch pieces. I always scoffed at those plastic axes until I tried one. The fiskers ones are really good.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That was an old beeb reference about some divorce victim who not only went to his ex' house & stacked her firewood while the new penis was watching him sipping a beer... but had the cuckoldhood to come onto the beeb & post about it.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous