Define "No Inside Passing" for trackdays

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Former, Mar 3, 2010.

1. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Until the guy on the inside drifts out and takes you out.....:D

2. kazbanz

kazbanz Yea gidday

The onus is on the overtaking rider to do so in a safe manner. That rule is pretty universal

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I have had that happen, minus the take out part. :D

4. XACT-Man

Hey Ed, miss riding the 50's at karttokart since I've moved down to AL, you still at it?

5. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Outside passing and wadded up bikes. I agree with Monte. 90% of the time it's single bike accidents. 9% it's someone doing something stupid like making erratic line changes mid turn, or standing it up thinking they cant make the turn or clipping someone by passing too close on the straight (yes, I have seen this more then once. Days of Thunder wannabe jackasses) or pulling an Eddie and chopping someone's front wheel. I'd say less then 1% is the guy or gal on the inside line low siding and bowling pinning the outside passer. NESBA allows no in the turn passing in the B group. Outside passing in the I and pass anyplace in the A group. Funny thing about the A group. Very little inside passing goes on in that group. Wonder why that is? Discuss :D

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

^ put me up there. I promise people will be passing me on the inside at least twice a lap.

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yeah, although not doing the all-out series. I still feel riding the little bikes has really helped my big-bike riding.

I didn't say I did it. :D

Outside passing can be pretty sketchy at a trackday - more riders tend to "drift" out when setting up for a turn.

8. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

What can I say. I had Iron Maiden playing when I responded.

True that. 9 times out of 10 I tend to hang out and get them on the exit as opposed to going around mid turn. Unless closing speed is so great you can do it before they even realize they are being passed.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

dissenting vote for pulling off into the hot pit to put distance between me and the rider that keeps parking it in corners...
    should i have to ruin my pace and rhythm? why can't you "blue flag" the "obstacle" for a "stop and go"? :confused:
    :D

10. kazbanz

kazbanz Yea gidday

Why should the "obstacle" have to do anything? --they paid their money just like you did.They are out enjoying their day like you are. The only person with an issue is you.
    (sorry if that sounds harsh-- not intended)

11. Allthatflash

Allthatflash Well-Known Member

LOL! We are obsticles? I think you just need to stick to racing and forget about track days. We will just get in your way.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

If its an "obstacle" for ya.... dont ride down a group! :D

13. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

But that's how you win a track day.. by sandbagging!!!:D

14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

i have wo a lot of trackdays using this method. that and stuffing others in the corners:D

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:crackup:
    i love this place.

can we talk about listening to music while riding?:Poke::p:D
    i'd be less concerned about pullin' off to put distance between me and, well, you know who. switchin' the style of music to an alternate pace isn't quite as easy as texting and the reason why i wouldn't mind having to pull over every once in a while. ;)

i apologize for the interlude...seems like the passing discussion was turning into a dead horse and i felt i just had to throw something stupid at it.

off topic but, on the serious side...
    even tho' the organizers try to do as well of a job as possible at rider meetings, there are still riders that sometimes don't hear the message. while i don't have nearly the track time as some of you, 6k+ miles, i've seen enough of the horror stories. the biggest shame is the unfortunate rider that gets caught up by an ego rider due to no fault of their own. you can see the ego rider is potentially an issue, you just don't know how, when or even if.
    for example, looking at race videos, you just know some of the competitors are gonna take someone out but, in the end all is well. regardless of their skill level, the appearance is someone out of control.

how do you guys, the marshalls and control riders, come to the decision to give someone a personal talking to? obviously, blatant rules violations are one thing but, how about those pre-emptive discussions you feel may be necessary? what are the thoughts that bring you to that point?
    i imagine a familiarity, or lack thereof, with the rider is an indicator but, when do you step in? is there some general or specific criteria you follow if the rider hasn't actually broken the rules? better safe than sorry or...?

16. XACT-Man

Most of the "preemptive" talks I have had come from seeing the 2-3 buddies playing tag with disregard to other riders. They put others at risk trying to play catchup or to get "that" pass.

17. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Sometimes we seperate buddies at pit-out. I cover this at my riders meetings. Lets face it.. alone we go for a ride, two of friends go for a spirited ride... three frieds go for a race.. is how I explain it.

18. Im with ya on this one Monte. It's not lazyness though, its actually good form. Even though I leave my but off the seat, I still keep the knee tucked until its time to brake so I can have good aerodynamics.

Moving your but off at the last minute is actually bad form. It's definitely something I have to work on because I do catch myself doing it from time to time.

19. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

The turning left to go right, and right first to go left is huge at trackdays..... even in advanced sometimes:down:

20. xxXJasonXxx

xxXJasonXxx ^ I'm with stupid

I am in kind of a similar boat. I Just do track days for now on a stock motored Ninja 650 superbike, so it's not always as easy as just "pass them on the straights". I run in the intermediate group on track days, and some people on faster bikes are slow enough to pass on straights, others are not. I find myself having to spend more time planning to make a safe and courteous pass since I can't just motor past someone wherever I want. The bike has pretty good brakes, and honestly that is where I do a lot of passing. Just seems a lot easier to do it there than anywhere else.