1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK 2024: Rea replaces Toprak?!

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Sep 2, 2023.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Former MotoGP racer, BSB racer, WSBK Champ, and has been Suzuki's MotoGP test rider for the past 5 years until they pulled the plug last year.

But even more remarkable is that he's got the best 60% French/40% British accent - unique to say the least.

cbush likes this.
  2. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the scoop. Hopefully he's a big help to the BMW.

3. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

Never would have guessed Bassani to KRT

4. koth442

I'd been hearing the Bassani to KRT rumors for a while.

Is it too soon to start a 2025 silly season? GG31 to factory BMW anyone?

5. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I can't see Bassani being the "solution" for KRT losing Rea. Maybe I am wrong and he will come alive on a factory team but man.... I'm not sure he is even the best option on a independant Ducati.

6. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

The sprint race at Aragon was the best I've ever seen Rea ride. To get out-motored like that is so demoralizing. There's no way Lowes or Bassani can pull off that kind of riding. The bike is basically an updated 2011. They need something different.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  7. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I think so but man, he's killing it lately on that Bonovo ride.

koth442 likes this.
  8. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Not going to happen if Toprak quickly gels with the bike and starts winning and/or getting on the podium regularly

9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Plus, the way the announcers tell it, Toprak and Vandermark are pretty tight from their Yamaha days. I don't see them upsetting their A rider by shipping off his buddy and upsetting the good environment in both teams.

10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I just hope that if GG continues to outperform VDM, and the others, he gets a contract worthy of his performance.

What is Rea thinking? The Yamaha is likely a little better package than the Kawi, but Toprak has shown it’s not a weapon to fight Alvaro.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

No, but the FIM is.

12. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

I think he believes they don't have it in them to win anymore. He's made complaints about the bike and Kawasaki unwilling to make changes to keep up. I am surprised he left them after all those years but maybe he saw the writing on the wall.

13. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Marron is going with Toprak to BMW.

koth442 likes this.
  14. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Don’t they have the ability to increase their max RPM’s as part of the balancing package and they haven’t done that?

15. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

koth442 likes this.
  16. koth442

Earlier in the year, BMW said the best rider(s) would be on the factory squads and they wanted to promote interally. VDM is good but if he's consistently outperformed, another team will swoop on GG. Although now that I saw that out loud, I'd love to see GG on a Duc. Even a satellite one.

17. lopitt85

I have been thinking the same thing. There should be some serious dominoes falling when Bautista hangs it up because I dont think Bulega is a long-term answer...so two factory Duc seats open, and the ensuing carousel for the Duc independent seats too.

18. koth442

How many more years until Alvaro hangs it up though? He's basically untouchable. GG isn't getting any younger either...

19. lopitt85

There's been rumblings the last couple of years that he's been on the fence about coming back. And it seems to be within the next couple of years as a real possibility

20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

GG just turned 28. Alvaro will be 40 next year.