1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, glad I don't live downstream of this dam!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kangasj, Feb 10, 2017.

1. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

Actually try segregation as i recall it wasnt to long ago.

XFBO likes this.
  2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

It's NOT rocket science bro ........ and quite frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing the ole "But but but who's gonna pick our fruits and vegetables" OR "They do jobs most Americans won't do" BS.....As stated, revamp welfare programs so that able bodied folks can get their asses moving to work for their bennies. That aside, that's what WORK VISA's accomplish, no matter how pissed off Mexico might become with us, you can bet your ass there are lotsa laborers/farming help south of the border that would not hesitate to fill those visa's during picking season. So enough with that tired old poor excuse to justify keeping illegals here. Illegals don't come here with no ambitions of improving their lives or their childrens lives, they're NOT going to want to pick fruit for a career, so after a few years the young'ins will move onto better pastures and we'll still need pickers, putting us back to ground zero....soooo let's get more illegals, right? Also, let's try not to ignore the BILLIONS illegals sap out of their State
    budget annually...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Well if you can get a legal worker program going everyone would be happy including Mexico. But the fact of the matter is that there aren't enough people around here willing to do the work and there has been product left in the field because of it and it is driving more automation.

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So they are dealing with it without having laws ignored nationwide, amazing

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. Newsshooter

Huh?

6. sheepofblue

You missed the sarcasm. Many say they want illegal immigration for cheaper farm products etc. This is the among same arguments that were used for slavery (of course there were other foul thoughts also).

If we need labor for real (I am not convinced it is not just we pay to many to do nothing) then have it be legal. For a long time migrants came legally then left.

Oh and there are many Republican progressives now, sadly.

7. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I read it as the automation and shipping elsewhere is handling the problem...

8. sheepofblue

They are making adjustments in pay and automation. While many claim the only method is to allow illegal aliens to take up permanent residence.

Fencer likes this.
  9. mtcam77

mtcam77 Well-Known Member

And that right there is the problem: "willing to do the work". We have allowed a class of people to thrive in this country who believe they should be paid $15/hr to flip burgers. We've allowed generations of folks to suck at the public trough just because they continued to have kids. We have fostered a mindset of "I deserve it because I exist". So we now have a culture of people who think that menial labor is below them and they would rather take welfare than work at a job which is below them. It's a mindset that has been fostered by decades of social justice warriors and progressive politicians who rely on keeping the lower class on the liberal plantation in order to stay in power. Given the level of indoctrination at the the high school and college education systems (and I believe it is by design), it's not likely to change soon. However, to say we don't have the folks to do the jobs is a problem created by the progressive agenda.

10. Newsshooter

I don't know about anyone's agenda, I just grew up in a farming community and have lots of friends that farm and a couple that have packing sheds. I'd rather see everyone here legally. I'd also like to see people willing to put in an honest days work but I know that is an issue even if they're making 20+ dollars an hour.

Pay and automation aren't fixing the problem but they will decrease it in some areas mostly packing, some products can't be automated completely, cherries, apples, pears, all need to be picked by hand.

11. sheepofblue

Yep and guess what? Once those hard working illegals achieve legal status they will prefer welfare over wok in most cases also. So where does the next crop of slaves come from Mr/Mrs Progressive?

12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Yep, that changed in 1968 when the GOP and candidate Nixon started appealing to southern whites after Johnson signed the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts, thus signaling a shift in the Democratic party away from supporting segregation. The GOP called it it's southern strategy, which it still depends on today. The great segregationist Strom Thurmond switched parties from Democratic to Republican in that period.

What does this 50 year old history have to do with the Oroville dam?

Fonda Dix likes this.
  13. gixxerreese

I was just pointing out you said their position on slavery and black people didnt just miraculously end 150 years ago you brought it up.

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I was responding to Sheepofblue, who actually brought it up. You need to read the quoted stuff, too.

15. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Back to the original subject, I hear they're expecting potentially heavy rain soon.

"The wettest storm in the series of storms that began Thursday is expected to arrive Monday. One precipitation forecast, from NOAA’s California-Nevada River Forecast Center, says that system could drop as much 6 inches of water — either rain or snow — on the higher elevations of the Feather River watershed."

16. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Yeah, some today. More tomorrow. Possibly the heaviest come Monday/Tuesday. However, they have been able to drop the lake level more than 25 feet from the spillover height so there is that. The dam should be okay but the river downstream is still flooding many places due to the outflow (more than 110 CFS, I believe) that they've needed to use to drop the lake level to take the new rainfall.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  17. gixxerreese

I know i read that i was refering to what you wrote as i did duh

18. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

:clap: This deserved to be quoted just because. :flag:

Ducti89 likes this.
  19. sheepofblue

And sheets Byrd was a leader in the Democrat party.

Further I cannot speak for all southern states but in Alabama there is one major flaw in your analysis. If it was so great a idea then why did Alabama continue to be controlled for decades longer by Democrats?

but back to that dam dam

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Well shit, even I know that: Democrats are the devil; Democrats control California; California has a dam failure caused by the devil.
    :D
    They have consistently been pushing 100 THOUSAND cfs out the spillway. Level was down by 28 feet from crest as of midnight.
    Data here

VintageWannabe likes this.