1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, glad I don't live downstream of this dam!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kangasj, Feb 10, 2017.

1. kangasj

kangasj Banned

2. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I've had pictures popping up on FB this last week following the damage. Fortunately it is the spillway and not the dam. I don't think there is much danger there, just looks bad.

3. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Ya, that's what they're saying. It the water starts going through the emergency spillway it will be interesting to see how the erosion progresses on the back side of the dam.

Another report.

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2017/02/07/engineers-assess-spillway-problem-at-oroville-dam/

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

5. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Someone needs to fix that dam hole!

7. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I suspect once the weather breaks and it is safe to be on the spillway they will come fill the hole with boulders and pump in concrete.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I sure hope so because that looks to be causing alot of dam stress to the structure. If I was one of those dam workers I'd be concerned.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Indeed. From possibly the greatest film script in modern history.

A few decades back in Idaho http://www.history.com/topics/us-states/idaho/videos/engineering-disasters-teton-dam

Just a cople days ago in N. Nevada http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/regional/dam-failure-causes-flooding-in-elko-county/405135930

Cal Fire crews from Butte County have been clearing the emergency spillway on Oroville; looks like it might get activated tomorrow.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Dam.

11. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I only pictured Uncle Eddie asking ..."where can I get some dam bait?"

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Bush and Trump did it!!!!

Obama personally kill Bin Laden, arranged for us all to get free phone and gave us free health care..

In Your Corner and brex like this.
  13. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

They are saying on the news now that this could become a total disaster sometime this evening. They are already evacuating everyone downstream of the dam. :(

14. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

the whole lower right side of that spillway looks eroded, the spillway collapse looks to be only a small part of it. I guess it's like cancer in that once it starts its a worsening cycle of more collapse and more erosion up and down the length of it, but why is it so eroded and how long has it been like that for?

Evacuating people while there is time is a much better outcome that other dam failures.

[​IMG]

15. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

While it's open they might as well look for Jimmy Hoffa.

16. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

That picture is the "main" concrete lined spillway, the new issue is the "auxiliary" spillway which I think
    is off to the left of the main spillway in this picture. Anyone know how tall that is? I'm guessing 40-50 feet tall?
    If that fails there is a whole shit ton of water headed downstream. Good luck to all out there....

17. gixxerreese

gixxerreese Well-Known Member

I was actually online with one of my buddies as the call came in to evacuate. Crazy

18. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

19. mtcam77

mtcam77 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, our governor Moonbeam is still pushing for a high speed rail to nowhere and our Lt. Governor Newsome is working on being a sanctuary state (while infrastructure continues to crumble). Social justice trumps all other issues. Again, welcome to California.

aedwards01, DDK732 and kangasj like this.
  20. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

^ you guys will be fine once you become your own country

jrsamples likes this.