1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Light Weight battery dependable?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by PhilDucati, Dec 16, 2010.

1. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Why not. Test them both on both bikes.

2. Antigrav

Antigrav Well-Known Member

Surly,
    I'm sure TWF and Shorai would love your test... unfortunately it way off base.

1) My Antigravity 4-cell is literally HALF the size of the Shorai LFX9 battery you propose to test it against... If you take a hacksaw and cut the Shorai directly in half my battery is that size....and the Antigravity is again smaller by a 1/2" in length.

2) The Antigravity is 1/2 POUND LIGHTER than the Shorai... So you are comparing a battery that you can fit in your back pocket to a much larger battery with Higher cranking amps and bigger Amp Hours...Not an accurate comparison at all...

But if your talking price comparison... don't bother wasting your time the Shorai is less. I've stated I can't compete with a Chinese mass produced unit.
    What you are are paying for with the Antigravity is a battery built in the USA where labor costs are more, where it is built by hand to strict specifications where we review all the welds on the tabs. You're paying for a time tested and proven Cylindric A123 cell that offers much more power for size and weight than the Prismatic form used by Shorai. Your paying for the fact that the cell costs more because of its manufacture quality at A123 Systems.

Now if you were to compare the Antigravity 8-cell which is still smaller in every direction than the Shorai LX9... Well then we are talking a massive 240 Cranking Amps with 5 Amp hours... The Shorai is 135 Cranking amps with 9 amp hours. So I'm still giving the Shorai 4 amp hours but killing them in Cranking power with 105 more. It's very hard to compare apples to apples with the two styles... but the fact is I can always honestly claim I'm making the lightest, smallest most POWERFUL battery out there.

Last...This is sort of like buying a Harbor Freight socket set for 9.99 mass produced does its job pretty good...But what if you are a mechanic who has a need for a the stronger, lighter, smaller format socket set? And you found some guys is making them in his shop in the USA... do you think he will be able to give it to you for the $9.99? No he won't... That's basically how I see it. The options are there for you guys to make the choices.

3. TWF2

Why is it way off base? They are different design but closest to compare, 4cell vs LFX9. Those are recommended race batteries for bikes up to 750cc. Your is lighter and smaller and shorai is more cca and cheaper.
    Want to compare 8 cell do it against LFX14. You got 30cca more (240 vs 210), weight and size is about same and shorai $50 cheaper. Stock batteries on 1000cc bikes have around 180-190cca (good ones like Yuasa).
    You will just have to leave with fact there are others out there, as good if not better and you are not only one with good battery.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Good thread, helped me decide on getting one of these since my stocker is getting weak.

5. jetpipe

jetpipe Well-Known Member

YEP....great product...I have them on my 2 R6 .... flawless !

6. Antigrav

Antigrav Well-Known Member

My point was you can't compare a battery that is half the size of another battery and get accurate data that actually compares the two and their benefits... The benefits of the smaller package like Antigravity at only 1" wide, are more room for power commanders or other things in the battery tray, easier relocation to a certain area of the bike if wanted. Some guys open up the air box more with a smaller format battery, some can get more air flow around the motor with a smaller battery and cutting away some of battery box, and it's lighter. It's about the application the battery will be used in and the desired benefits whether it be size, cost, power...So the customer have options, which is great.

I started posting on this thread because I noticed a bit of misinformation in your comments regarding the Cyclindric style batteries. It appeared to be an attempt to put them in a negative light in comparison to the new product you are trying sell... I would prefer more accurate, knowledgeable and balanced statements from you regarding batteries in general, but I can alway comment if I feel I need to.

I think we can agree the batteries are different and both have applications that can fit a particulars riders needs best... whether is be pricing, weight, size power ect.

Good luck on your sales of the Shorai.

7. TWF2

You started posting in this thread to advertise your batteries while talking about shorai and implying it is junk made in China and not up to pair with your. You are the one who started comparing them, not me. Now you saying there is no comparison.
    I was pretty clear that all of this batteries work great and it is up to buyer to decide which one to buy based on what his values are.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I find it hilarious that all of the sudden everyone and their brother has realized how easy it is to make bigger batteries out of small batteries and then argue about which is better. You're all using the same basic suppliers so who cares? Yeah, larger size will hold more juice longer.

Even funnier are people selling them asking me for rule changes ;)

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTW - Antigrav, yes you did start responding just to advertise your shit. I mean come on dude, any other explanation just doesn't fly.

10. s1lVa

s1lVa Active Member

lol. nice thread by the way. i went for the shorai. cheap prices, and has good connectors.
    it will be a lot lighter than the stock battery anyway

11. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

KWS, awesome battery and great service to back it up, what more could you ask for?

12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Jason is a good dude and works very hard at what he does. :up:

13. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Wow, alot of choices with some serious weight loss if your willing to pony up the cash.

14. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I am selling the whole range of Shorai, just don't have them on my website yet.

The one for my S1000RR is 2.1 lb versus 7.2 lb for the little stocker battery. That's like me working out twice as long every day!

15. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Huge +1. He is the main reason we chose to carry, use and sell his batteries! Im all about great products SUPPORTED by great people. Plus unlike some, Jason didnt treat me/my shop as not worth his time, aka a 15min call. If i cant find out about a product, how they stand behind them, etc why would i risk using/selling them?

Full Spectrum FTW in my book. :up:

16. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

Same here! Jason is a great dude took the time to talk to our team and answer any questions we have. Needless to say we will all have his batteries in our bikes this year.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Very satisfied with mine from Ballistic/KWS. Quality product for sure.

18. mac1owry

mac1owry Well-Known Member

zoran sent you an email.

19. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Why are they so expensive? Are they that hard to mass produce? Where are these batteries being made?

20. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

The info I got from jason as fsp was his batteries are produced here on the east coast of the us. And if I remember correctly, he said they had to be assembled by hand, but that part i could have messed up.