1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where should I move to?

Discussion in 'General' started by MotoGP1199, Mar 23, 2017.

1. caferace

caferace No.

If you've lived long in California, do NOT come to Austin. There is (at least currently) this Cedar tree pollen that basically tries to kill you.

Otherwise, it's great. :)

-jim

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

We looked seriously around Nashville (Hendersonville, Clarksville, Franklin, etc..) And were pleased everywhere we went.

3. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I'm heading to south Texas as soon as I retire (not soon enough!). I'll miss the weather in San Jose but pretty much nothing else about this place.

My DIL is from Rio Grande City and I kinda like it down there (Mission/McAllen maybe even down around Port Isabel). My son assures me that they will eventually end up back down there somewhere so I'll be close to my grandkid(s) and I get along really well with the DIL's family so it seems a no-brainer. Besides, I was born in Texas (Fort Worth) so there is that whole "circle of life" thing too. :)

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Austin is full, def dont go there.
    But yeah, love Austin, never planning on leaving, for many of the reasons already posted.

5. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

The Phoenix area is great, you can get all that you wish for. Of course it's hot June/July/Aug but you can drive 2 hrs north and it's typically 20 degrees cooler. Or if you wanna go somewhere like Denver to cool off you plane tickets can be had for super cheap (less than $100 RT).

TX you can as well but prices have been skyrocketing the past 3-4 years

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Northwest corner of Golden Valley AZ, in the 30 miles Kingman AZ and Laughlin NV.
    300+ acres for $160K, no house. Average July high, 100º; average January low, 35º. Roughly 3000' elevation, no snow, 8" rain/year. Low housing costs, everything else about the same. Prolly gonna find the 300+ acres off an unimproved road. Demographics - population 4000+, white 90%?, hispanic 8%, other 2%?, 70% Republican, average age 46.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  7. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Come to NJ!

1. Nope
    2. We get ALL kinds of weather...just got about 8in of snow last week
    3. NJMP, Summit Pt, Pocono, NY Safety Track
    4. Nope
    5. Nope, some of the highest in the country
    6. Eh...somewhat cheaper
    7. This we do have!
    8. Nope

BigBird likes this.
  8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Nashville or Birmingham seem to fit those

9. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I repeat, FULL!!! I want a law passed that all transplants must leave by end of year 2018. I think that will leave us with about 5 people here.

V5 Racer and Phl218 like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

:D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hey now!

Paige likes this.
  12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

For the most part, we are tired of Kalifornistanis coming here and trying to make Utah like the toilet they left. But your list makes you sound less like the kind that we are sick of here.
    1 - Well, we get an F from the Brady people and in their worst ten states. Pretty much the best news any state could have. Still have some other nanny state stuff, but not like the left coast hole
    2 - Depends on your view of decent weather. I love the seasons and hated the same damn weather year round when I lived in the San Jose area.
    3 - Nope, just one. It's a pretty decent one though.
    4 - Well yeah, everywhere.
    5 - Fairly low income taxes, but should be lower. Property taxes are getting up there unfortunately.
    6 - Less significantly than before in some areas, but still cheaper.
    7 - Pretty much. Much better than average.
    8 - Can happen in many areas.

But in general, we are full.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well NY is def
    :crackup:

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

There will be 1 spot for a CA>GA people next month....
    Ive been here 10 years and except for the god awful humidity in the summer (3 months or so) its nice. Too bad the redneck, inbred hillbillies that ran, run?, this area didnt listen to some CA, NY types about 25years ago. They STILL have no plan to deal with all the housing construction, master plan, infrastructure, road widening, etc that comes with this 3 decades of massive growth. Within a couple miles of me they will be building about 2,000 new homes in the next year.
    Zero road widening. All still 1 lane 'country' roads. And they let them build right to the current roads, so no chance to widen.

You couldnt pay me to move back to Tuscon/Phoenix. Go there in Jul or Aug and see if you can stand it. Flagstaff area is the only place in that state thats not an oven.

TX - better get a big asss truck with Yeti stickers or your an outsider.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Did you catch any of the discussion about widening 20? They're talking 6 lanes, DOT is starting land acquisition this year. Idiots will be wishing they had the outer loop when it was proposed a decade or more ago....

kjohnson and V5 Racer like this.
  16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

If the inbred hillbillies were running things we wouldn't be having this problem (No furriners allowed). It's the elected people that are in the pockets of the developers and such that are at the root of why there is no planning.

I've been wishing.

R Acree likes this.
  17. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Lots of places in the mid-Atlantic area fit that bill. I'm in King George County in VA which is far enough away from everything that it's quiet here but it's not too far to several major cities. Plenty of tracks within driving distance, good gun laws, little further to go for canyon rides but not bad, land is way cheaper than a lot of places. Mid Atlantic you'd want to stay away from MD for nicer gun laws. Areas in PA fit the bill but colder winters. VA has the best compromise as long as you're far enough away from NOVA region.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Rt66 climbing Black Mts near Oatman AZ.
    [​IMG]

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Des Moines

jrsamples likes this.
  20. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I have a place in the Phoenix area that is our home base but we have a houses in Sedona, AZ, Beaver Creek, CO, Sewall's Point FL and Cabo San Lucas Mexico.

You might want to check out the Prescott, AZ Area. Construction is still doing pretty well both commercial and residential, Some of the best Mountain biking in the country is nearby, Can still find decent acreage houses, lower taxes, decent schools and the weather in northern AZ is very mild year round. And it wouldn't be a terrible drive to Las Vegas speedway, Chuckwalla, and a few others.

cpettit likes this.