1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where should I move to?

Discussion in 'General' started by MotoGP1199, Mar 23, 2017.

1. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm tired of California. I've been seriously considering moving out of state. Problem is I'm a little spoiled with the California weather and how close so much stuff is. I was thinking about Arizona due to a couple cities not having horribly hot weather year round or possibly Texas(Have no clue on weather in different cities). Open to anything. Here's my list, I'm looking for city and state recommendations.

1. Free state, not overly strict gun laws etc...
    2. Decent weather year round.
    3. 2 local tracks within 2 hours or less.
    4. Decent canyon riding within 20 mins or less away.
    5. Low taxes.
    6. Property significantly cheaper than CA.
    7. Safe neighborhood, good to raise kids.
    8. I want a few acres of land. 10-30 mins from city.

Am I dreaming, this has to be available somewhere. Thanks

2. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="MotoGP1199, post: 5056969, member: 61328"

I'll take a minute to brag about TX.

1. Free state, not overly strict gun laws etc...

It's TX, sooo....

2. Decent weather year round.

Winter usually lasts 2-3 months. By winter I mean sub 50 degree weather. Snow is very rare.

3. 2 local tracks within 2 hours or less.

Depends on where you live. I'm north of the Austin area. 3 hours from 4 tracks (to include COTA). Hallett and NOLA are also on the CMRA schedule.

4. Decent canyon riding within 20 mins or less away.

No canyons, but we do have decent riding in hill country.

5. Low taxes.

No state tax. Property tax can make up for it though, dependent where you live. Mine doubles if I move just 20 mins south.

6. Property significantly cheaper than CA.

Definitely

7. Safe neighborhood, good to raise kids.

Everyone has their problem areas. There are nice suburbs in Houston and Dallas. Stay on the west side of I-35 if you're looking at Austin. SA doesn't do much for me.

8. I want a few acres of land. 10-30 mins from city.

Too easy.

We're getting CA folks in droves in the Austin area. I'm guessing this is because Austin is very IT based. Lots of dot coms, Dell headquarters, cheap taxes etc. The running joke is that people want a wall around Austin, not the border. I moved here in 2005 and don't plan on leaving.

[/QUOTE]

panthercity and hotnail like this.
  3. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Are you considering east coast at all? Only thing on the list that you can't really get here is canyon riding. We may have some decent roads here and there but not like what I imagine cali offers. If you are willing to make that trip and compromise I bet a lot of people chime in about SC and GA. I don't know much about the taxes or stuff like that but I've spent enough time there to say I'd love to move there one day.

prospected likes this.
  4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Denver or Salt Lake City sound like they'd fit the bill. Tucson and Albuerquerque too. Las Vegas, Phoenix. A few acres might be a tall order, but if you've got the cash... I'd think it mostly depends what you do for work.

5. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

+1 Southeast in the Northwestern Georgia region you have great weather most of the year. Schools are good and taxes are low. Good tracks not too far away. Not to mention you're next to the Smokey mountains (Deals Gap) which has the best roads in the country. Significantly better then Cali if you've never done them and you could go a lifetime without hitting them all.

Steeltoe and Photo like this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Nope. We're full.

kjohnson, Aberk, jrsamples and 8 others like this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

All lies. Texas sucks. Stay away. :D

backcountryme and hotnail like this.
  8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

We really liked Tennessee. You get a bit of all of the seasons, but in all, the weather is very pleasant. Land prices are cheap and there is a ton of stuff to do. All the Southeast tracks are within reasonable driving distance.

XFBO and r6boater like this.
  9. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

No state income tax either.

But TN is full, no room here.
    Flor-idiots already crowding the mountains.

XFBO and Phl218 like this.
  10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I was all-in for Tenn years ago, then the daughter went and had grandkids....so I'll be in PA 'til I die.:rolleyes:

11. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Moved to Texas 2 years ago from the midwest.....I'm staying! :)

JJJerry likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dammit man...let in one Californian and it's like feeding a stray hippie. They never leave and pretty soon the whole place reeks of patchouli.

backcountryme likes this.
  13. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

East TN (knoxville) fits all of those except for the two tracks within 2hrs. BUT Road Atlanta, Talladega and Barber are all about 3.5hrs. VIR <6hr, RRR <8hrs, Jennings <8hrs, NCM <4hrs, Putnam Park <7hrs.

Also, it's low mountains here, not canyons per se.

14. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Austin is great EXCEPT for the cost of housing, the overcrowding and what we fondly call the "Africa Hot" summers which last 9 months (and then it's just hot).
    You can tell when it's winter, the grass turns green again.

fastfreddie likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

Don't come to Greenville. Too many Germans and Frenchies

50Joe and JJJerry like this.
  16. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Subscribed. My wife and I are feeling the same way. She has the ability to transfer with her work. I will have to start up where ever we land.
    I will add to your list:
    1. Good cycling, especially mountain biking.
    2. Close enough to a decent size city to be able to restart in construction for me.

She is leaning towards Texas. I kinda like southern Utah for the cycling but there is less job opportunity for her there. We plan to take a road trip by early summer to scout some areas.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You forgot rednecks.

kjohnson likes this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Feel free to visit, but the moment you start with "that's not how we do it in CA", you can leave. We know it isn't like CA....We like it that way. We've already had the northeasterners screw up VA, NC and FL.

19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Unfortunately, you won't stop posting so we can forget you.

backcountryme likes this.
  20. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Kiss it.