1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do in Chicago....

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Absolute nonsense.

Pretty much 100% of the violence in Chicago is gang related, (gang vs gang). They couldn't give a shit about out of towners.

You'll be perfectly safe downtown. There are areas to avoid tho. Quick answer is do not go South of Soldier Field, and definitely do not go West of the interstate in the mid city area. South side gets all the notoriety but the West side is the murder capital.

Check out Kingston Mines, Chicago B.L.U.E.S., Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium. Navy Pier is alright but very touristy.

beac83 and 5axis like this.
  2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Indeed. :flag:

3. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Like Hole Hawg torque? If so, hell no!!!!

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

That's along the Magnificent Mile (the mile stretch of Michigan Avenue north of the Chicago River).

Wendella river tour (on the river at Michigan Ave). The also run architectural tours on the river - check a schedule.
    Lake Michigan dinner cruise from Navy Pier.
    House of Blues is at Marina City (the corncob looking buildings on the river at Sate St)

The John Hancock observation deck is pretty decent (a couple of blocks away at 875 N Michigan Ave). At 94 floors up, a bit shorter than the Sears (104), but you can walk to it. (I used to work on the floor below the observation deck tending one of the TV transmitters. The views are stunning on a good day.)
    Oak Street Beach is a short walk away as well (Michigan and Oak)
    Navy Pier is pretty touristy, but sometimes there are interesting things (concerts) there.
    Just walking north along the lake there on a pleasant evening is great. You can walk for several miles without leaving Lincoln Park, and without fear.

There used to be a lot of bars in the Rush Street area, just west of Michigan Ave and a bit closer to the river, but I hear it's calmed down a lot in recent years. I don't go bar-hopping like I once did, so I'm out of date on what's hot.
    Try a Chicago Hot Dog. Just find a sign with a blue V for Vienna Beef
    Try Al's Italian Beef - closer to the river and a bit west on Ontario/Wells IIRC. Portillos for ribs / beef / dogs. Ontario and LaSalle IIRC.
    If you want to try Deep Dish, I recommend Lou Malnotti's on Wells near Illinois. Get it with sausage instead of pepperoni as the meat. I'm more a fan of the South Side thin crust pizza, but that's a drive. Fox's Beverly Pub 100th St and Western Ave.
    In the loop there are going to be several Broadway shows playing. Check Broadwayinchicago.com
    The Art Institute of Chicago at Michigan and Jackson - world class art museum.
    The Chicago Symphony plays at Symphony Center - also on Michigan in the Loop. There may be something going at the Auditorium (Michigan/Congress)
    South of the loop, Buddy Guy's Legends is a Blues bar 708 S Wabash.

Kingston Mines usually has something going on - Halsted in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, near DePaul University. There are a couple of other Blues bars in that area as well.

Second City for comedy/improv. North Avenue and Wells.

The Chicago History Museum on Clark and North Avenues is an extensive collection of city history.
    The Notebart Nature Museum in Lincoln park near the Lincoln Park Zoo (Fullerton Ave in Lincoln Park) There is also the Lincoln Park Conservatory if you are into botany, a smaller cousin to the Garfield Park Conservatory.
    Museum of Modern Art near the lake (I think on Chicago Ave).
    Museum of Broadcasting on State near Marina City.
    The Museum Campus is in Grant Park at Roosevelt Rd and the Lake. The Field Museum (Natural History), the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium are all there, next to Soldier Field. There may be a concert on Northerly Island (next to the Adler) - you'll need to check. Grant Park runs in front of the Loop, starting at Randolph and going south to McCormick Place. Buckingham Fountain is one of the centerpieces in the park. Extensive gardens and other pleasant stuff next to downtown.

Farther south is the Museum of Science and Industry (57th and the Lake) in Jackson Park. Geared to kids, but the U-boats, the Steam engines, and the coal mine are pretty interesting, as well as the model railroad layout. For a full size train museum, head to the Illinois Railway Museum about an hour out of town along I-90 in Union, IL Working antique rolling stock and other cool stuff for railfans.

STT has a track day at Autobahn North in Joliet on the 7th. Joliet is about 30 miles SSW of the Loop.

The White Sox are playing a home stand the 24th-28th (35th and Shields) take the Red Line 'L' to 35th. The Red Line is the State Street Subway near where you are staying.
    The Cubs play the Mets on the 29th at Wrigley (Addison and Clark) take the Red Line to Addison.
    It's a bit early for the Blackhawks and Bulls, and a bit late for the Fire.
    The Steelers play the Bears at Soldier Field on the 24th.

If you go up near Wrigley Field, there is lots of nightlife. Along Clark are sports bars and trendy places. See who is playing at the Metro or one of the other venues in the area (Lakeview or Wrigleyville). The Gingerman tap on Clark is owned by the guy who built Gingerman Raceway. Another area of trendy nightlife is in Wicker Park and Bucktown neighborhoods, along Milwaukee Ave. Need to be a little less touristy and more aware of your surroundings there.

That's just a fraction of the stuff to do in a 5-6 mile radius of where you are staying.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    rugbymook, G Dawg and lazlo like this.
  5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

When I was last there, I got the notion to walk from Soldier Field (where I was parked) to the Museum of Science & Industry.
    When I got south of McCormick Place (I had to Google that 'cause I couldn't remember the name), I got the chills. The temp was in the upper 80's.

That place was scary. :eek:

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Damn, beac!

I wish I had known you when I was up there.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You just went to the wrong bars.

dtalbott likes this.
  8. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Holy shit Beac! Thanks for that list.

I've got some homework to do before my trip. Apparently, I've only just scratched the surface. :eek:

beac83 likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap. A complete torque monster. I still think they are crazy to even offer it but we'll see if it actually hits the market.

Sprinky likes this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Field Museum was pretty cool when I went in 98...of course that was when they had the "Art of the Motorcycle" exhibit. I vaguely remember going to a bar that was in an old church. I have no idea what the name was.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I was going to ask him why he did not recommend the clubs on Broadway :)

12. beac83

It gets pretty lonely there in Jackson Park. You were probably OK to walk to 57th in the park if you pay attention to what's happening around you, but its about 3 miles from McCormick to the Museum of Science and Industry, so not a short walk. One of my favorite views of Downtown Chicago is from a little promontory south of 33rd St.

Scotty87 likes this.
  13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The museum of science and industry has a full on Nazi U-boat that you can walk through. That was badass.

Midwestern girls are hot, go drink with them.

jksoft likes this.
  14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

LOL I was waiting for this.

15. beac83

They all have moved to Halsted between Belmont and Sheridan now. :D

Kick-ass Mexican food at Las Maniatas (sp) on Halsted and Brompton near Wrigley.

16. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

BTDT...

Being over 6' tall it was a little difficult walking through the sub. No idea how anyone could survive living on that boat, especially underwater, for any length of time. :eek:

The model train layout at MSI is also very impressive.

I would still rate the Field Museum a bit higher if one had to choose one or the other.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I had dinner there last night and then dinks at the 3 Floyd's bar across the street called Lone Wolf.

Just go wander around west loop and eat and drink and check out the talent. Too much touristy bullshit downtown but the Purple Pig is pretty damn good food.

Also go to Eataly.

18. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I had 2 days, so I did Field, Adler, Shedd, Navy Pier, John Hancock and Sears (walked from JH to S), rode the river tour, MS&I, something else (I can't remember what), visited a family friend in Evanston.

Got out of town before dark. :p

19. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

And watch for Eddie Vedder playing with "street bands" around Wrigley :)

20. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

FWIW, I believe Shedd Aquarium is free until the end of this month.